Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College wardrobe

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
For those who are going to school in the modern times and don't want to dress like you are going to school in the modern times I suggest the following for easy care and wear of the gentleman with a bag full of books.

on the budget
from the top down

1 wool tweed cap
2 fedoras 1 grey 1 brown
1 wool scarf
1 overcoat
1 raincoat
2 patterned sport coats 1 Brown 1 blue
1 navy blazer
1 grey suit
2 sweater vests 1 solid 1 patterned
10 dress shirts 4 white 6 patterned and colored
15 ties some wool some silk must have 1 school tie.
4 pair wool dress trousers 1 in grey flannel
4 pair casual trousers... khakis... linen
2 belts leather 1 black 1 brown
3 pair dress shoes 1 brown and 1 black 1 with rubber soles for comfort
2 pair pajamas
1 pair slippers
1 terry cloth robe
1 umbrella
6 white handkerchiefs

Lots of socks and underwear

For the athlete

2 pair cotton sweats in grey
1 pair gym shoes, canvas and rubber in black or white

for the I'm not always old school days

ballcaps
Various t-shirts
jeans
sneakers
sunglasses
casual button shirts
windbreaker
leather jacket
sweats
school sweater

This list will evolve.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
Actually I have been meaning to ask, what about the book bag? I have this silly modern green techy bike delivery type bag that I carry, leaving the strap off. Not that big a deal when I'm dressed in less-than-retro fashion, but when I'm wearing a three piece and an overcoat it is a little out of place.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Well if you are going to school in a three piece suit you should have a briefcase. otherwise if the bag looks old school though like you just came back from the war, hmmm.

If you have the money this bag is perfect for school.
http://www.customhide.com/convertible_scholar.html
You can make it into a back pack too, though I preffer the shoulder strap.
Convertible-Scholar-Brown.jpg

Filson laptop bag is nice, though the strap sits too low and makes it hard to cary over your shoulder when the bag keeps tipping. Their backpacks are too cumbersome for books in and books out.
256H.jpg

Messenger bags don't always have to be considered too casual, though you are going to class and not a boardroom.
www.Jcrew.com
waxed%20canvas%20messenger%20bag.jpg

Can't go wrong with military bags.
http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Shelf/ASP/Hierarchy/030I.html
P_193419_372267.jpg
P_193407_372263.jpg
P_193529_372297.jpg

The standard jansport backpack, not old school but versatile.
t133_003.jpg

If going from class to class I'd go for the leather custom hide or a messenger in khaki with leather.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
These are great. I'll have to see about getting one before I transfer to a university, so I can make a clean retro-start. ;)

Thanks for the great ideas Matt.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
There is no reason why sunglasses can't be part of the retro styles though. My 1938 University of Texas yearbook has a picture of a male student wearing sunglasses along with a sportcoat, sweater and fedora.

Strangely enough, I have most of what is on that retro list save for the navy blazer and the fedoras (I really want to get these things though) and I have never seen the need to get any of the modern stuff in order to survive at school.

As for bookbags, I never seem to carry all that many books around with me. I always see students lugging around 50 pound bookbags but they must be in some other major where they need a lot of books. Philosophy books are usually small and often not needed at all. I carry a vintage US military leather briefcase from the 40's and have never had much of a problem carrying everything I need in it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Interesting thread.

In college, clothes were something into which I didn't want to invest any more thought than need be. Each day and night saw an unvaried ensemble: Blue jeans (that FIT - first time in my life, because I had my own money), paired with either a blue or white oxford shirt and narrow narrow tie. Trenchcoat over on rainy or cold days and after a girlfriend bought me a cheap, black wool fedora, that came along too. Penny loafers (still have a weakness for them).
This is still my, "screw it, just put something on" choice (sans that stupid tie).
There was just no time to sort out combinations with an 8:00 AM class, and the outfit worked well straight through play rehearsals in the evenings.
I think I was just SO relieved to be out of the enforced high-water pants and hand-me-down flannel shirts. My mother, God Rest Her Soul, could reliably pick out the ugliest article of clothing in any store for me until the day she died.

D

Deleted member 259

I noticed there isn't a ladies college wardrobe listed here...

I dorm at my college, and I have to say, the rush to class, late nights, and activities I participate in, don't allow for a retro-friendly wardrobe.
I don't have time to put together a great ensemble in the morning - It's (weather depending) jeans or slacks, a black tee shirt or sweater, my chucks or boots, possibly my newsies cap or fedora, and I'm out the door.

I also work in the scene shop on campus, where I absolutely can't wear anything I care about.

Luckily, my weekends allow for a little more freedom to dress how I like.
And my Saturday nights are always spent at a swing Dance.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't terribly into fashion when in college--but I always dressed very polished and frequently was asked if I was faculty! I used to wear a lot of wide leg slacks, nice blouses/sweaters, heeled loafers--that sort of thing.

It would be easy to achieve the 'collegiate' look though--pair a simple a-line skirt (or wide leg slacks) with a form-fitted knit top or blouse, bobby socks, and loafers or saddle shoes. Actually, I have an issue of Vogue from 1940 that focuses on that collegiate look; in that particular season, the color combination of red and tan was extremely popular. They featured photos of red and white striped sweaters or solid red tops worn with tan skirts and the occasional contrasting fitted jacket. Looked sharp and polished, but still casual and youthful!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's the look! Simple and polished, but still enough to make you stand out in a crowd with minimal effort. Looks equally good paired with platforms or wedges.

The suspender skirt is another excellent collegiate look, especially paired with jacket. Just depends on how dressy you fell like being.

Had I been into vintage like I am now, I would have been sporting this look!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
That suit is sweet! You need to start a new thread and tell us more.

Thanks, Matt. Well, there's not much to tell. That's my $5 thrift store suit, but I added another $43 in alterations. Closed the double vents, had a cuff sewn into the pants. My seamstress never gets my sleeve lengths right to where I show a half inch of shirt cuff.

First mentioned here.

I need to get some better photos.

Brad

ADGENTNC

New in Town
Thanks for making this Matt, I'm heading off for soon, and I want to really want to start out as vintage as possible...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana