Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College wardrobe

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
So, I am going out on a limb here and calling foul on the old story of the oxford bags being invented to cover plus fours at oxford. Well, it may be true they did that, and that may be why they are called Oxford bags. But I suggest that they certainly did not invent the style, rather, adapting it from an older style or from the navy.

Have a look over on the 'Oxford Bags' thread in 'general attire etc'. The plus fours story has been exposed as a myth and HBK has put forward a theory that 'bags' derived from rowing attire. This is supported by the discovery of a pair of 1896 rowing trousers catalogued by a rowing museum as 'Oxford Bags'.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Have a look over on the 'Oxford Bags' thread in 'general attire etc'. The plus fours story has been exposed as a myth and HBK has put forward a theory that 'bags' derived from rowing attire. This is supported by the discovery of a pair of 1896 rowing trousers catalogued by a rowing museum as 'Oxford Bags'.

True, but the catalogue description would have been composed decades later, and an archivist, say in the 1950s, may have tagged them as "Oxford Bags" simply because they were historic. What needs to be found is contemporary (1890s) evidence referring to the trousers as bags.

Plus, there is no reason that 25 inch bottom slacks couldn't slip over a pair of plus fours.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I agree. Baggy at the knees would be he best trousers, not at the bottom. It may well just be a matter of style changing, on the parts of top top down fashion designers or tailors, or bottom up, street fashion, or college fashion from rebellious kids, or as rebellious as an upper class oxford student can be.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
What needs to be found is contemporary (1890s) evidence referring to the trousers as bags.

That's why I have emailed the museum. I await their reply.

Hopefully the museum's archivist will be able to help us. Their archive holds various receipts etc from tailors in rowing towns. That's where we hope to find additional evidence.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
That's why I have emailed the museum. I await their reply.

Hopefully the museum's archivist will be able to help us. Their archive holds various receipts etc from tailors in rowing towns. That's where we hope to find additional evidence.

Excellent!

While certainly a sad subject, two of the Scottsboro nine were quite stylish. 1937 pic.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-p...ttsboro-trial-defendants-with-attorney-samuel

Killer 8 button work trousers!

crispinross

New in Town
Well, my college had a dress code which said no uniform but only formals. So most of the time I used to be there in formals usually in summer days and at the time of winter a coat over the body. It looked as if we are following some strict rules of jail or something. There was no relaxation even at the weekends.

Steve327

New in Town
Matt, I just want to say what a great thread. As a college student I normally wear a polo shirt, shorts as seen in my default. But going into my junior year I'm ready to...for lack of words, up my game and refine my style. That list was excellent.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, looking at the list again, I would say that I'm about 50% there. I'm content with what I have, but I could be buying two or three more dress shirts (not oxford button downs), and perhaps a few more slacks as opposed to chinos. Recently, I acquired a beige single-breasted raincoat (London Fog Maincoat), and I already have a green tweed overcoat that I bought in the spring. I also bought a plain black U.S. Navy tie that was probably made in the 1950s, and I have a custom-made grenadine tie coming from Sam Hober. Additionally, I should consider investing in a nicer book bag or a briefcase instead of using that Timbuk2 bag all the time. Maybe I'll try to get a military surplus bag or satchel.

Matt, I just want to say what a great thread. As a college student I normally wear a polo shirt, shorts as seen in my default. But going into my junior year I'm ready to...for lack of words, up my game and refine my style. That list was excellent.

I wear polo shirts a lot myself. They're great for hot weather, and they don't look bad with fitting pants, maybe even a sports jacket once in a while like William Holden in Sunset Blvd.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
this looks like quite a stiff, creasy fabric. anyone found this type of old collegiate trouser before, and if so, what's the fabric ?

college_trousers_zps903609ba.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
this looks like quite a stiff, creasy fabric. anyone found this type of old collegiate trouser before, and if so, what's the fabric ?

college_trousers_zps903609ba.jpg

The way the creases are holding reminds me of moleskin. I have a pair of light coloured moleskin trousers and they have a similar discoloration as soon as they get dirty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ