Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College wardrobe

Zach R.

Practically Family
As I'm unlikely to find a vintage navy blazer in my size, could you suggest a good modern alternative? I know you said one of the Polo blazers was as close to vintage as you could get these days, but are there any others?

BTW, in regards to sneakers, I've always been partial to the Jack Purcells.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
What I have always thought were cool are the turtleneck-type letter sweaters you see in a lot of the old college movies.

The single letter on the sweater has always struck me as far more dignified than the logoed attire most of my associates wear at university.

Endorsement

I ordered a pair of these babies per Matt Deckard's recommendation because I am heading for university in less than a month (yikes!).

mc0001br_d.gif

I was lucky; they fit perfectly. They are nice and simple, and will do very nicely for running and other such physical activity.

Anyway, I recommend them. They were exactly what I was looking for, because I can't stand modern athletic shoes. They even come in an old-style shoebox.

I just ordered what I thought would fit. I guess I was fortunate because I haven't ever worn PF Flyers before and shoe sizes can really vary by brand and shoe type.

I haven't ever worn Jacks or Chucks, so I don't know about that. Sorry.

You can fill out their "Wishlist" form on the page I linked to earlier if they don't have your size and they will place special orders, too (instructions to do so are here: http://www.classicsportshoes.com/pfflyers.html).

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt, get them from Zappos. The shipping is free and they'll "upgrade" you to two day shipping automatically--well at least they did with me!
flat-top

swinggal

One Too Many
Don't forget saddle shoes either. No collegiate outfit would be complete without them. Brown and white were popular in the late 30s early 40s too. I often pair them with long argyle knee socks, a woolen vest, a-line skirt and my original 40s silk bat-wing, puff sleeved blouse.

Bow ties were worn a lot with vests too. How bout a fur coat, like the ones seen in this late 40s pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
What I have always thought were cool are the turtleneck-type letter sweaters you see in a lot of the old college movies.

The single letter on the sweater has always struck me as far more dignified than the logoed attire most of my associates wear at university.

I love those type of sweaters, but good luck finding one for your school these days. I've been looking for one for my school since I started there. Since then I've graduated, worked for several years, and started school again!

Just recently I stumbled on this site: Stewart & Strauss

You can custom design the sweater you want from quite a lot of colors and options. The prices start around $139 for a crew neck or v-neck and are $149 for the cardigan. Apparently the only other thing that costs are $20 for a letter, and $10 for each number or letter in a name. Could get expensive quick! Anybody had any experience with these folks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points