Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College wardrobe

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
For those who are going to school in the modern times and don't want to dress like you are going to school in the modern times I suggest the following for easy care and wear of the gentleman with a bag full of books.

on the budget
from the top down

1 wool tweed cap
2 fedoras 1 grey 1 brown
1 wool scarf
1 overcoat
1 raincoat
2 patterned sport coats 1 Brown 1 blue
1 navy blazer
1 grey suit
2 sweater vests 1 solid 1 patterned
10 dress shirts 4 white 6 patterned and colored
15 ties some wool some silk must have 1 school tie.
4 pair wool dress trousers 1 in grey flannel
4 pair casual trousers... khakis... linen
2 belts leather 1 black 1 brown
3 pair dress shoes 1 brown and 1 black 1 with rubber soles for comfort
2 pair pajamas
1 pair slippers
1 terry cloth robe
1 umbrella
6 white handkerchiefs

Lots of socks and underwear

I've got just about all of that! Woohoo! College, here I come!

resortes805 said:
Yup, the pants legs really are that wide! I'd imagine that this particular pair is made out of wool flannel. I believe that Baron Kurtz has an original pair, perhaps he may like to share some words on them. Here's an old catalog ad for similar pants:

Bags_1933-1.jpg

Indeed. They are not nearly so wide legged as the ones in the catalogue pics appear to be. I believe the text that goes along with those images says the cuffs are 22"-23" circumference, no? So the pics are being quite deceptive. But remember these are for young (read small-ish) men, so the people in the image are perhaps supposed to be quite short with small feet, hence the disappearing-foot-syndrome in the drawing.

Here are mine. A little tight in the waist and need to be taken out. Note how little of my shoe is showing - and these shoes are a full size too big! :eek: I'll take an pic this evening with another pair of shoes that fit just right. ( i believe my feet will disappear and may actually look quite like the catalogue pic.)

They are *very* interesting trousers . . . 22 1/2" cuffs if i remember aright. This pair have side cincher waist belts and a waistband that's 1.75" in front, rising to 3" at the back . . .

MustardSide.jpg
MustardFront.jpg

MustardBuckle.jpg

I'd love to see the measurements on the cuffs of the ones you posted from eBay, Resortes. They seem to have the flare that is missing from my pair . . .

bk

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
i finally had a chance to grab some pictures of the collegiate slacks that Jorge from La Bomba had made. I basically told him that I wanted pants like these:

searscat1936128gs-1.jpg

But with this top (minus the lettering)
Spoon001-1.jpg

Here they are:
PICT0013-2.jpg

PICT0014-2.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

Detail of the flare:
PICT0002-3.jpg

I've got to run, but I will post measurements and hopefully pictures of me in them later this week.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
You can find boaters on eBay. So who has been weaing the classic fashions on the campus? Have you been noticed and what do the professors and teachers think?

Good bad?

I think if you wear the regulat navy blue modern suit to school you would stand out as a narc, though with the right paring of kit you'll blend in pretty well as the eccentric who likes the old fashioned look.

Well, I was taken for faculty a lot while I was with the college paper, I suspect that first year because my wardrobe was always 1960's charcoal suit (my grandfather's), white dress shirt with narrow black tie, black oxfords and black London Fog overcoat. Oh, and the shades of course. Very "Secret Service" looking, I'll see if I can find one of my old staff* photos.

Second year was the start of the "MacArthur restyle", khakis with 2-pocket shirt, tan London Fog double-breasted overcoat, brownish oxfords, the shades still--I told y'all they almost never leave my face!--and, of course, the corncob pipe (always unloaded, of course). Still don't see why folks would "sir" me with this look, though, it's readily apparent I'm not yet a general...lol

Other than replacing the London Fog with a bomber jacket, that's still my standard today.

*EDIT: That's "newspaper staff", not "college staff"--although in a few of my history classes I was considered an unofficial "co-prof"... :eek:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Would be nice to see some faculty pics in here. If the staff dressed up I think the students might follow a little bit. One staffer is nothing, though a school dress code for the rest be it jackets or button shirts would turn the tide a bit I believe. Seing Cal-Tech's faculty recently makes me wish the old days of the tweed jacket were back.

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
So who has been weaing the classic fashions on the campus? Have you been noticed and what do the professors and teachers think?

Good bad?

I think if you wear the regulat navy blue modern suit to school you would stand out as a narc, though with the right paring of kit you'll blend in pretty well as the eccentric who likes the old fashioned look.

I've been wearing my suits to work and school and the reaction is a little mixed. A lot of people don't even notice, they're too busy in their own little worlds. They wouldn't notice me if I was wearing a clown suit, so I reciprocate by ignoring them. ;)

I have a neo-Marxist hippie prof who I've never seen without the sandals, shorts, and a Hawaiian shirt with his shoulder-blade-length gray hair (in a ponytail). And on the other end of the spectrum, one who wears a tie most of the time, but at the very least a jacket and slacks with a nice Oxford. They run the gamut.

From those who've mentioned anything about my wardrobe, I have received nothing but compliments. But I've also gotten a fair share of sideways glances and "what the hell did I just see" looks, too. The hardest time I've gotten about my suits is from several people at work. They say I'm trying to make them look bad (after we got through the initial "so how'd the job interview go?" phase).

It does make one feel good to get compliments about how nice you look, knowing how little it cost to make that much of a difference.

But as much as people are willing to recognize that someone looks nice by complimenting them on it, 99% of the people I meet are just too damn busy with their own pursuit of the carrot on the stick that they won't be influenced by someone wearing a suit and a fedora. I think that's something each person has to come to a realization of on their own. It's not really something you can impart. Wanting to wear vintage styles seems to me to be an extension of something deeper within you, not some external keep-up-with-joneses force like what powers the "fashion" (what a ridiculous name for it) parallel universe.

Jovan

Suspended
I wanted to wear my outfits of flat fronted cuffed trousers, white shirt, and patterned sweater more often in the spring semester, but it simply wasn't feasible. I had a stage craft class that required things you don't care about getting paint on. :eusa_doh:

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
Would be nice to see some faculty pics in here.

I taught a couple of history classes at a local community college last year, simply as an adjunct, though.

101206bbllyi2.jpg

polocoat12706dm2.jpg

p1010396ul3.jpg

I may scare up another pic or two from teaching outings. I'm sure had zero effect on my student's attire, and almost as little on their knowledge of history.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
You can find boaters on eBay. So who has been weaing the classic fashions on the campus? Have you been noticed and what do the professors and teachers think?

Good bad?

Variations on this theme were what I wore through the fall until it started getting warm again. Not sure about the reaction, everybody at school is used to it already so nobody seems to think it is out of place. I get some positive comments from the profs on my hats though.

pic9.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
My typical college outfit (three season) consisted of green tweed jacket, wool doeskin waistcoat, wool tie, corduroy trousers, army-issue braces, poplin shirt, brown brogues and grey fedora. Summer allowed me to break out the linen trousers and jacket and panama hat.

Luckily, although most of my lecturers in the history department were of the shirt and jumper school, there were a fair few academics with a taste for tailoerd clothing, and a few students too.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
Do I spy a Brooks tie?

Not a bad guess, but the tie in the top pic is from Atkinson's (maker of Irish poplin ties, although this one is all silk), the bottom pic is a Robert Talbott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch