Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne and perfume

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
tomford.jpg

I've just discovered Tom Ford's 'Tuscan Leather' and 'Tobacco Vanille.' All those flavours of leather; tobacco (as in cigar/pipe) and vanilla really tick the boxes with me. So when I first tried these two fragrances in the departures lounge of London Heathrow, I 'knew' I'd found a winner!!
To date, my three 'must wears' are KNIZE TEN (an established and still quite rare oldie from the early 20's and a fave with the Hollywood crowd); AQUA DI PARMA (Again, a fave with the Golden Era 'IT' crowd) and the more modestly priced, but no less lovely, L'Occitance EAU DES BAUX from Provence. (Oh forgot!! Jo Malone's 'Cafe Noir' with deep coffee flavours is almost edible - should be a Govt. Health Warning on it!!!).
PERFUME001.jpg

I love dark coffee, cigars, chocolate, ginger, bitter orange, leathery tones in my scents, balanced with something sweet (vanilla does that nicely!).

Anyway, here's a review of the Tom Ford scents that I like!!

Tobacco Vanille

With notes of tobacco leaf, spices, tonka bean, tobacco flower, vanilla, cocoa, dry fruits and wood sap, Tobacco Vanille is described by Tom Ford Beauty as "a modern take on an old world men’s club". In my opinion, to be such a take, the scent has to have a very strong leather note and be even smokier and perhaps a littler harsher. The image that Tobacco Vanilla evokes in my mind is more domiciliary, cozy and warm. It is an image of a dad smoking a pipe, a mom baking something aromatic, maybe gingerbread...It is winter, snow is falling softly, there is the smell of bonfires in the air and the sound of bells...Is it Christmas? Perhaps. It is definitely somewhere in Russia, and most probably even not in the 21st century, maybe even not in the 20th. Tobacco and vanilla go wonderfully well together, and in this particular fragrance the balance of the two accords is perfect. The scent is neither too smoky, nor too fluffy and sweet. The spicy note, which, to me, smells mostly of ginger, ornaments the honeyed smokiness, adding a sweet zing to the composition. The drydown of sugared prunes and soft wood is a cuddly delight. I loved Tobacco Vanille and I think that fans of Ambre Narguile, Sensuelle Russie, Fumerie Turque and Parfumerie Generale's super-secret Un Crime Exotique, should pay special attention to this Private Blend.

Tuscan Leather

Mix Tobacco Vanille with Tuscan Leather and the result would be that very "old world men's club" so dear to Ford's heart. Tuscan Leather, with notes of saffron, raspberry, thyme, olibanum, jasmine, leather, black suede and amberwood, is a husky and warm rendition of leather. The first accord combines tarry smokiness with a very surprising and very delightful raspberry note. I love leather paired with sugared citrus fruits (Piver Cuir de Russie), but I would have never thought that raspberry would be so appropriate in a leather fragrance. And it truly is. It brings charming sweetness, playfulness and sunny warmth to the otherwise rather austere blend. It is like an unexpectedly childish, happy smile on a weather-beaten face. With time, the distinctive berry note subsides, but slight sweetness remains and it softens the composition, toning down the smoky harshness of leather and the peppery sharpness of incense. The latter two notes are the most prominent on my skin throughout the scent's development, with perhaps just a hint of herbs in the heart of the fragrance. Tuscan Leather is rugged and cuddlesome, a very interesting take on leather and a delight for this lover of leather perfumes.

Last edited:

stardust

New in Town
Apologies for lurking in here, but I love a good mans cologne.

Paddy, I can practically smell the Tom Ford perfumes from here thanks to those descriptions. Such a hefty price tag sours it slightly for me however :(

Feraud

Bartender
I stopped in a local pharmacy today to browse the scents.
The G.F. Trumper Limes aftershave is simply amazing. I need this scent for the summer. Check it out if you can.
The entire Trumper line of fragrance and shaving products are very good.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I picked up some Clubman Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum early last fall, and it's been a good Winter scent. It has a very high alcohol content and really wakes you up. I also bought some Master After Shave Ocean Blue, it smells pretty good, but has no alcohol and doesn't seem to stay with me much. Compared to the wife, I can't smell anything apparently. I wonder if I could add rubbing alcohol to the ocean blue?

What are some good summer aftershaves, with alcohol? I have a barber place nearby and can get most of the old fashioned stuff pretty easy.

Thanks

Pompidou

One Too Many
I had ran out of my prior cologne, Abercrombie and Fitch's Fierce, quite a while ago and finally got out and went looking for something different. I got Drakkar Noir for about 50.00. It's highly rated on the internet. I liked Fierce, but opted against buying it again because it is the one that permeates most shopping malls when in the vicinity of an A&F store, as they pump it through the air ventilators. I didn't want people to smell me and be reminded of a mall. I just sprayed myself with Drakkar Noir and I like it. Fierce got me tons of compliments. I hope this does the same. To me, Noir smells like an old house with a fireplace burning and a pie in the oven. I'm hardly a master at identifying scents like the reviewers are, so take that with a grain of salt.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had ran out of my prior cologne, Abercrombie and Fitch's Fierce, quite a while ago and finally got out and went looking for something different. I got Drakkar Noir for about 50.00. It's highly rated on the internet. I liked Fierce, but opted against buying it again because it is the one that permeates most shopping malls when in the vicinity of an A&F store, as they pump it through the air ventilators. I didn't want people to smell me and be reminded of a mall. I just sprayed myself with Drakkar Noir and I like it. Fierce got me tons of compliments. I hope this does the same. To me, Noir smells like an old house with a fireplace burning and a pie in the oven. I'm hardly a master at identifying scents like the reviewers are, so take that with a grain of salt.
Hi

GAWDDDDDD, I hate the smell of A & F, I can't even stand outside of it, I get a screaming headache. I can't imagine wearing that stuff, but then I'm old, so it really doesn't matter to A&F anyway. I wonder just how much of that stuff they squirt out a day? It makes me feel like I did when modeling glue was actually fun by itself (I actually DID build the models though). Apparently, I lost a lot of my sense of smell, I actually use mothballs on my wool stuff, and when I opened the suit carrier my wife and daughter about had a cow. I didn't notice it....

I see that Halston Z14 is now a cheap cologne. I got that from a girlfriend in college back in the 1980's. It smelled better after about a year in the bottle, at first it reminded me of stale beer. I like the Bay Rum stuff though now, it's cheap too.

Later

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face
Halston Z14

Wow, haven't heard that in eons. Used to wear it myself as a young lad in the 80s.

Currently, when the mood strikes, I wear lilac water aftershave. Nice old school scent. I've gotten compliments on it like "You smell like my dad", which I love.

I'd like to pick up some of that Acqua Di Parma though.... Dean Martin's fave

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Have been wearing Caron's 1934 classic "Pour un Homme" lately; really amazing how vintage--and yet modern--it is. Not a big lavender fan, but in this one it is really nice, once it settles down.

The Private Eye

Familiar Face
What is your favorite fragrance ?

I hope I don't make a mistake by opening a topic like this. I haven't found a similar one.

Personnaly I love "Ungaro III" (launched in 1993).
It has a dark, ashen rose note with patchouli and tobacco over a smooth base of sandalwood. Smooth. Very masculine.

123283.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Sandalwood is nice, I've always loved that.
The only thing I have at the moment (with that) is an aftershave from D.R. Harris called "Sandalwood."
Farenheit is another favorite, I've had a bottle ever since it came out.
Now I'm going to have to check yours out, I've never heard of that one....

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Giorgio of Beverly Hills, it is discontinued but some still floating around on eBay..but really the best fragrance is a bag of brand new fresh and banded 100 dollar bills!

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
"Par 4" by Detaille, a french perfumery in Paris. Hard to get in Germany, but finally I found it. A light, yet spicy and masculine fragrance. Beautiful scent, especially in summertime..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider