Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne and perfume

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm using a Bay Rum balm from Bigelow Chemists, the oldest apothecary in America (or so they claim). My wife loves the scent and it takes just a very small amount to soothe my skin apres shave, so the price is right, too.

Bigelow's is located just a few blocks away from my office, but they also sell the balm online. Here's the link.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Elsha 1776

This Russian Leather scent is straight out of the past--what the man in the gray flannel suit might have worn (this one does, anyway). "Russian Leather" has maintained its title down through the years as the aristocrat of fragrances. Throughout Europe and the American continent it is still acclaimed for its fascinating and lingering fragrance. The original Russian Leather is now produced in the United States by ELSHA under the new name of "1776".

I also think that Dunhill '34 (if you can get it) and Caron's Pour un Homme are great golden age scents and, of course, Old Spice.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I have to say that I'm in love with my dad's perfume... It's "L'eau Sauvage" by Dior... He has got the same perfume for years and years and years lol... He doesn't want to change... I also adore and love for a man "Habit Rouge"by Guerlain!!! My perfume is "L'Heure Bleue" by Guerlain... It's hard for me to change, I'm so used to this fragance/perfume!! lol!!! But for special occasion I love to wear my Chanel n¬?5....

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
Old Spice Original

As the logo says:If your grandfather hadn't worn it,you wouldn't exist.
I'm 3rd generation and I have grown sons that still wear it.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, for me it's Col. Ichabod Conk's AMBER. I also like their Bay Rum. Very few I have met wear this or even know of it. Plus, I enjoy the 1930's style Barbershop bottles. And their Shaving Brushes and the Amber Shave Soap are excellent:
130.jpg

Mr. Turner

New in Town
I have yet to find a scent I like, all the 'modern' scents basically smell like grass or carrot shavings. (Which, personally, I like the smell of mowed grass, as I owe a business that does just that, but not as a scent I want to carry with me all the time)

Right now I'm using a 'uni-sex' vanilla scent, which is working pretty well, but I'd like a more manly scent, specifically from an era previous to my living. (vintage?)

Any ideas?

Mr. Turner said:
I have yet to find a scent I like, all the 'modern' scents basically smell like grass or carrot shavings. (Which, personally, I like the smell of mowed grass, as I owe a business that does just that, but not as a scent I want to carry with me all the time) Right now I'm using a 'uni-sex' vanilla scent, which is working pretty well, but I'd like a more manly scent, specifically from an era previous to my living. (vintage?) Any ideas?
Clubman has some manly scents and they are vintage. Try the Bay Rum.
Florida Water is citrusy.

I like Agua Lavanda Puig a lot perported to be the Sinatra favorite.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I use the following as the mood takes me:

L'Occitane eau des baux (work/everyday)
Trumper's sandalwood cologne (work/everyday)
Dior Homme eau de toilette (evenings)
Arabian Oud sultan blend (evenings)

The latter is alcohol-free, as you might expect, and should be used sparingly. I'll get some pure oud oil with the next windfall.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
pennycarrol said:
I also adore and love for a man "Habit Rouge"by Guerlain!!!

I've heard that Keith Richards wears that and have since been trying to get my hands on a bottle! (To NO luck.) Other girls I know have, (for that exact reason. They spritz it on themselves, their hubbies, and sheets and pillows. "Smelling Keith" they call it) HOW DO YOU MANAGE!

Me:
Cool Water For Women/Men (Davidoff)
Safari (Calvin Klein) *my grandmother wears this, and has for years*
I Love Love (Moschino)
Red/Green Delicious (DKNY)
Sweet Honesty (Avon) lol

I might just try the following:

Agua Lavand Puig (Sinatra! SWOOOOON!)
Acqua di Parma
L'Heure Bleu
Chanel No.5
Evening In Paris
Shalimar
Poison
Habanita

(Has anyone ever heard of a *seemingly* one shot cologne called "Everlast"? Yes like the boxing gloves!)

P.S.: Has anyone tried the "Unknown Originals" at the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab?

If so, do tell!

Opinions?

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/welcome.html

Creeping Past

One Too Many
dahliaoleander said:
"Unknown Originals" at the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab?

I used Black Phoenix's Silk Road, Old Port-Au-Prince and Hellfire, all of which were fantastic, a couple of years ago. My girlfriend likes BP's "O" almost as much as Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir.

Because these are pure perfume oils even a small bottle will last a relatively long time. Of course, they need to be stored somewhere cool otherwise they'll spoil.

Get one of their tester packs, with 6 perfumes, and see how you feel.

Thanks for your post, dahliaoleander, you've reminded me how good BP is. I'm going to order some more of the above very soon!

Aviator

Familiar Face
dahliaoleander said:
I've heard that Keith Richards wears that and have since been trying to get my hands on a bottle! (To NO luck.) Other girls I know have, (for that exact reason. They spritz it on themselves, their hubbies, and sheets and pillows. "Smelling Keith" they call it)
I would expect Keith to smell like old people...you know, Ben Gay & mothballs.:D

I've seen a few folks using Acqua di Parma, but I don't believe anyone specified which scent...am I correct in guessing the Colonia?

My No 1 Favorite that I wear the most is L'air Du Temps by Nina Ricci.
I also rotate in depending on the weather and the season:
Emeraude and L'Origan by Coty, Island Gardenia (summer only) and Crepe De Chine for special occasions.

My modern perfumes that I wear less often are Cesar's Woman and Inis Or from Ireland.

My favorite cologne on my DH is CK Be.

pgoat

One Too Many
Great thread!

For me, I have liked wearing Farenheit, Chanel Egoiste (small doses - tres fort!:eusa_doh: ), Bay Rum, Polo, Eternity, rose water, Chrome, CK one, Avon Wild Country Musk, Obsession and Paco Rabanne (the latter smells rather nasty on me, so I was forced to abandon its use by impassioned demand/ultimatum of several significant others:( ).

I know some of those are way dated (as dated as the phrase "Way ___") - I still like Farenheit the best - it just smells kinda clean.

For me one of the most annoying things is trying to avoid conflicting scents with all the different junk we put on these days.....I am quickly loving The Art of Shaving's Sandalwood scent as well, and trying to get all the shaving stuff (pre-shave oil, shaving cream, after-shave balm, cologne) in that scent. I do hate how overpriced it is....but then most of this stuff is. It was much cheaper using all Pinaud stuff......:rolleyes:

For her? I love any kind of Musk, the occasional patchouli explosion (See comments on Egoiste above), and for a grown up formal feel, Lauren. Having said that my wife is more the hand milled soaps and Body Shoppe moisturizer type, as opposed to perfumes, which is fine with me. I like the clean natural fresh scent.

lillielil

Familiar Face
I love Prada Amber Pour Homme. I used to have the women's version and liked it a whole lot too, but when it was used up I decided to get the men's version instead. I usually wear either that or something homemade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto