Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coming in with nothing

clsecmbt

New in Town
By chance I happened upon this site while looking for a decent hat. I bought a very cheap looking Fedora for my high school prom years ago, at 7 5/8's, it appears to small for my head and I fear I need a custom size. I've been reading around for a week or so, trying to absorb information.

I'm very into the pre-1950's era clothing. There's a style there that hardly exists today, if I could, I'd wear it everyday.

So down to the questions, where's a good place to start looking for some Fedoras my size, nothing fancy, just good, daily-wear hats.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Well, if it was cheap....maybe it shrunk... And when you say it appears, do you mean litterally appears (looks) too small, or is it too tight? Maybe a reblock will help you out.

Btw, Welcome to the Lounge! :D

clsecmbt

New in Town
it seems too tight, granted, I was 100 lbs heavier when I bought it, but the thing does not sit anywhere near the tops of my ears. Looking inside, it's made by Bailey, and not really the style I was looking for.

The "Graphite Optimo" post contains the style that I am seeking out. I've been reading that Optimo hats are expensive, but how much so? I'm prepared to spend the money to get quality items.

I may only be 20 years old, but there's no reason not to seek out the distinguished look my great-grandfather had.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Optimo's will run you about $400. I could never justify spending that much on a hat myself but they do do great work there. I prefer getting vintage hats. I have a vintage cavanagh (I think from the 40's, not sure) and Zohar (a great guy and member of this forum) had it sent to Optimo for me for a reblock, now it looks just like Bogie's Maltese Falcon hat. And hats don't always go to the tops of the ears, it can all vary among tastes. I believe that traditionally there's about a fingerspace between the ears and brim. You got any pics of this lid of yours? And Btw, I'm only 17 and I'm going for the look your grandfather had LOL

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
It depends on what you mean by common. The next size up from 7 5/8 (61) is 7 3/4 (62). You can without a doubt get a hat in this size from a good, reputable hatter. If you are looking for vintage hats, then they are scarce as hens teeth in these large sizes (partly due to the fact that most people didn't wear sizes this large back in the day, and they're still not that common today).

Even if you don't plan on spending $400 on a hat, I highly recommend you visit a good hatter to get properly sized (which is free). According to mapquest.com, Optimo is only about 300 miles from your city of St. Louis.
You never know, you may be a 7 5/8 but in an extra long oval, which would make your 7 5/8 seems small. An experienced hatter would be able to tell you this at a fitting.

If you ever want to talk hats, you can go into our chat (see the Observation Lounge forum), or if you have any particular questions, I'd be happy to call you to discuss it anytime.

Welcome to the Lounge!
-Nathan

clsecmbt

New in Town
I shall seek my proper hat size with the tenacity of a private detective with no cases but the one he awakes to every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points