Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Benproof

A-List Customer
My gorgeously Irish hand knitted thick cottage aran pullover:

"Did your grandmother knit that for you? Haha!"

Me: "My grandmother has no arms."

:)

miss moneypenny

New in Town
The other day when I got on the bus the driver said, "you look just like my mother going to church in the 50s." She was very sweet and we talked about fashion until my stop.

Once someone told me I looked like a pilgrim which was funny because I was wearing all bright colors that day.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
The other day I went out to dinner with my brother and his wife, we haven't seen eachother in 8-ish years, I was in my typical 1940s style for me which means a Rita Haywoth type wavy/ curly style, while I can victory roll I don't very often because I find my set harder to use the next day. My sister in law said I looked so cute and 1950s, I said thanks and was going to leave it at that but my husband laughed a bit and shook his head. When she asked what I explained that it was actually war era 1940s. She then told me no you have to have those roll things, at this point my husband was trying to tell her to stop without saying it. So I explained it and needless to say not she knows that rolls aren't nessisarily a part of a 1940s look.

QuirkyQueen

New in Town
A few years ago i was told by a pensioner that my trousers had gone out of fashion by about 60 years and was i aware of this? - and that i was very brave to sport such a look...... i had to explain what vintage was..... i dress like a 1940's librarian about 50% of the time...... My husband describes my style as Jessica Fletcher-esque!

St. Louis

Practically Family
This wasn't so much a comment as a chance encounter of the golden era kind. I was walking my beagle in Tower Grove Park, the most beautiful park in St. Louis (dates back to the 1870s), when I saw a superbly dressed young gentleman on the path coming toward me: camel hair coat, glen check suit, dashing tan wool cap. As always I was dressed in my typical late-1930s to mid-1940s middle-class, slightly frumpy, respectable style. He smiled, inclined his head, and touched the brim of his cap. He was quite a bit younger than I am (maybe mid-20s) so it wasn't flirtatious: just gentlemanly and lovely. I thought he was saluting the respectability and effort, maybe.

It was a truly wonderful moment for me.

N.K.

New in Town
My boyfriend and I often receive compliments when we're out :) We also had some negative responses but the overall comments are positive. One time we had a group of women stopping us, yelling "you look like Peaky Blinders!" haha! That was a lot of fun. Has it also happened to any of you that people stop you because they want to take a picture? The last few times we were in Amsterdam we had at least one person asking if they could take a picture because "oh, you two look so pretty". It's very sweet!

Ms_Kim

New in Town
I've been easing back into my vintage closet, and loving every minute of it. We were in Las Vegas at the end of April when Viva Las Vegas was wrapping up and seeing everyone dressed so nicely just reignited the spark for me. My favorite is when folks make the comment of "I used to wear something like that when I was your age!" :)

Ms_Kim

New in Town
Yesterday, someone told me I looked like I needed a pair of castanets to complete my look, and she kept calling me Lolita. :rolleyes: o_O I was wearing a pretty casual outfit - cuffed modern jeans and cardigan, but a vintage blouse, a red flower in my hair, and red lipstick. I can't imagine how they'd react if I show up wearing my crinoline under my skirt... :p

The day before was better - I actually wet set my hair for the first time and had some pretty awesome curls. Modern outfit, but definite vintage vibes.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
I'm still building my wardrobe and don't dress in vintage a lot, but my hair and make up is always done (vintage). I also only wear skirts (or dresses if I can find them to fit). I normally get "Why are you all dressed up?" or "Where are you going looking so fancy."

MissMittens

One Too Many
I'm still building my wardrobe and don't dress in vintage a lot, but my hair and make up is always done (vintage). I also only wear skirts (or dresses if I can find them to fit). I normally get "Why are you all dressed up?" or "Where are you going looking so fancy."

That seems to be the most common thing people ask, the "Where are you going/Why are you dressed up?" question, like people aren't expected to really care about their appearance anymore unless there's a "reason". It's actually kinda sad :(

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Years have passed, times have changed, I'm 1800 miles away from my last lifetime. If I dress up I usually just get complimented on the dress. I don't think vintage dressing is as "odd" as it was 5-10 years ago. I try to "dress" once a week at my job, but I work with IDD adults now and you never know who's going to throw something at you :D

The1940sHousewife

New in Town
I usually get "oh I love your dress" "I love your victory rolls" and I usually blush and say thank you. Sometimes I just get glared at some by adults but mainly by kids which doesn't bother me. I remember last year I was at Disney World, my husband wanted to go see a character so I waited outside for him. I got 2 different people come up and ask me were things were. I told them I didn't work there. And then they looked at me with a strange look and walked away.

Swing Girl

New in Town
I just started wearing vintage recently, and with the pandemic I hadn't been out at all until my check-up at the doctor's, (I'm 15), where both my doctor and nurse said that they "liked my retro style." (My doctor actually kept telling my mom how cute I was... it was kind of funny, but nice.) And I didn't even think I was that retro that day, (my pin curls hadn't dried all the way, so my hair wasn't winning any awards, and I was just wearing a skirt and sweater), but I guess I'm just way behind on what regular clothes are today. Still, the compliments were nice, and I just said "thank you" and smiled.

Eva Granch

New in Town
Many of my favorite pieces are vintage. To me, it's more than finding a one-of-a-kind piece that is beautiful, high quality, and has proved it will stand the test of time. It's also kind of rebellious, anti-capitalist, and anti-fast fashion. The world is FULL of stuff that is already wonderful and was made slowly and carefully, we don't need slaves churning out H&M dissolving sweaters for a single season. It's such a waste.
I've got many compliments for this super funky vintage that looks gothy and expensive. it's a Pia Rucci suede and beaded jacket, that was like $15 because people are crazy, and some old express pants with an admittedly new belt from Urban Outfitter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ