Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conditioning Bates CR ?

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
howdy friends and happy holidays.

i recently picked up this bates cr ... lurv it : )

i'm honestly not sure if the jacket's "dry" or if it feels that way because of years worth of very fine creases. i live near walter dyer leathers and they swear by apple brand leather care meanwhile bates suggests mink oil.

wondering if via these pics you guys see anything in need of attention?

thanks, mike
IMG_2270.jpg
IMG_2274.jpg
IMG_2273.jpg
IMG_2289.JPG

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
thank you fellas, this really is a great forum.

why would bates (and schott) suggest pure mink oil, i wonder?

I think it might be an old school vs new school thing.
Mink oil has a bad rep nowadays, but at some point in time it was what you used. I doubt Bates and Schott have changed their leather care tips in 50 years!

Same with neatsfoot oil, you will hear a lot of negatives about it, and i doubt anyone here would put it on their jackets but it is still what is used by Horween on all the CXL that is made.
I know that if i ever put anything on my CXL jackets it will be a bit of neatsfoot oil, it just makes sens.

These are the best! Absolutely beautiful and I love it how each bates is different and unique. Never seen one with a back like this, the back seam usually goes down the middle of the jacket. Where are the sleeve zips, in the seam?
In any case, this jacket looks perfectly healthy to me. Don't use anything. Wouldn't do it much good because Bates leather is (usually) heavily coated, which is probably why it feels dry so none of that greasy, heavy stuff would get absorbed. It'll mostly dry out before it does. Water based conditioner is what I'd use on these but not even that. All's good.

technovox

One Too Many
If the jacket is supple and not dry, don't mess with it...

My first Bates had a back like this...I'm thinking they were made around late 60's to early 70's. Typically this period had a slightly longer body style than the earlier Bates. Love the teardrop Talon pulls on the chest pockets!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points