Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connery's Allan Quatermain gun belt

Nick Charles

Practically Family
The belt he is wearing seems to be a gun belt, but made of what? and why is his Webley riding so high on the left side?

pics001.jpg

connery0.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He's probably wearing the gun high so the bottom of the holster stays concealed by the vest. That Webley has a 5" or 6" barrel on it.

Dunno about the belt but it does seem to have integral cartridge loops to the right (worn) of the buckle.

Mycroft

One Too Many
carebear said:
He's probably wearing the gun high so the bottom of the holster stays concealed by the vest. That Webley has a 5" or 6" barrel on it.

Dunno about the belt but it does seem to have integral cartridge loops to the right (worn) of the buckle.

Good Spot. It may be a cowboy or Texas Ranger style belt. I am thinking it is custom or modified not an acuale belt you can buy.

carebear

That was my first thought too feraud. But I think you can kinda see the outline of a pancake style cross draw under the vest though. It's too dark to tell.

We need a shot sans vest with gun to get a good view of the belt and his rig.

Feraud

Bartender
You may be right carebear. I think I am misjudging the distance between the butt of the gun, his shirt pocket, and the rest of his torso.

A belt holster riding on his waist (an historically accurate position btw) looks to be it!

Baggers

Practically Family
T'm thinking it's a British officer's sam browne belt too, although without the attachments and hardware for the shoulder straps and sword probably. As for the holster, the flapped holster for the Webley that was part of the equipment set was designed as a cross draw and can seem to ride rather high.

Also, that picture of the belt by itself earlier in the thread was taken while it was upside down.

I'll see if I can isolate a couple of shots that show it off better while I'm collecting the framegrabs for the waistcoat.

Cheers!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I'm thinking shell loops too. It is probably not a shoulder holster, that is if the film is accurate, as shoulder holsters were pretty rare in that time period, unless of course I am incorrect.

If you put yourself in Quatermain's postion, he just got off a ship, if you are following the storyline that is. He wants to be well-armed, but dosen't want to be consider a ruffian or a rogue. So he keeps the revolver well concealed beneath the vest.

This style holster is called a high-rider, and is used by American police, SWAT, etc. The idea that it is a Texas Ranger belt is probably a negative, because Rangers used the Ranger belt to hold up their guns.

The belt itself is available in close-enough style from Duluth Trading Co. Sorry I have no better link, but if you search belts it should be there.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Sorry to double-post, I don't like it at my forum so I'm sure it's frowned upon here, but what is that thing on Connery's right wrist in that first pic? Looks like a leather bracer, for archery protection of the wrist, but I can't be sure.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I think that it modeled after a Sam Browne, and modified by the prop department to add the cartridge loops. You can see some of the detail stitching in this pic:

141441_3.jpg

There is no row of center holes where the excess belt attaches to the brass stud past the buckle (and no brass stud in evidence, either). I'm thinking this was likely a custom prop department job with elements from military belts they had lying around for reference or inspiration, or perhaps assembled from several bits of Sam Brownes, which would explain why the stitching extends down to the tongue.

Scot, where are you? When you get your hi res screen grabs of the vest, can you grab some of the belt?

Mycroft

One Too Many
It's a shoulder holster, look at some of vest photos on the vest threat. Anyhow, its a Steampunk movie and both him and Agent Saywer have sholder holsters and they were popular back then, but not with hunters.

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave, you're probably right about it being something built by the wardrobe department. The buckle is definitely from a sam browne, but the rest could have just been fabricated in the shop.

Everything about this film is a mish mash anyway since it came from a graphic novel. I've noticed, while assembling the framegrabs for the vest, that he appears to be wearing a full button front shirt which I don't think Quatermain would have being wearing if true historical accuracy were being adhered to.

And that image you posted may have been a publicity still. I don't think he carries a knife like that in the film at all, but it sure looks tough (even though it looks like it has a stag horn handle, something rather odd for an African big game hunter to be packing, IMHO)!

Cheers!

carebear

Mycroft,

I just went to the vest thread and looked again. Where are you seeing a definitive shoulder rig? They look like the same pictures.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
In fact after rewatching the movie tonight, the bone handle knife is from the belt and used in the fight with "M". The belt to me looks like some type of exotic leather, croc or water buffalo or cape buffalo. Something!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch