Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connery's "Allan Quatermain" Vest

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I'll post over at Fedora Chronicles too. Might bring in a few folks.

Please count me in, under 300 USD is good for me. Whoever contacts Peter, I'd appreciate it if you would ask about getting sleeves put in for me. Not screen-accurate, I know, but I don't really care. I'd like a good safari jacket.

Toggles sound good to me, but how about antler or elephant-tusk buttons. That could be cool :D

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
It kinda reminds me of Jake Speed's vest that I had once wanted.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091282/
Actually, the whole outfit is reminiscent of Jake's.
:eek:fftopic: I have to admit Connery was one of the best parts of the film. The commentary parts with the actors who played Jekyll and the invisible man were enjoyable also.

Sincerely,

Baggers

Practically Family
Thanks for spreading the word, Kodiak.

But I'm hesitant about adding sleeves as that would make it an entirely different garment. We really are trying to do a vest here. Adding sleeves as an option would most certainly drive up the cost just in materials, and it may complicate the design as well. There are plenty of ready made leather safari or bush type jackets from other vendors like Aero Leather clothing. I have their Barnstormer model in a mid weight horsehide and really like it.

The reason I suggested toggles was because they're rustic and not as "invasive" to the original design as button holes would be, in my opinion. I really want to keep this as close to the original vest as possible. I ultimately may not even go with any type of closure in order to keep the design screen accurate. And sourcing the proper faux horn toggles or buttons could be difficult as well.

The only other addition I'm contemplating is an inside breast pocket. Quatermain's vest could easily have had one and no one would have ever known because it wasn't used in the film.

Cheers!

Ken

A-List Customer
The Wolf said:
It kinda reminds me of Jake Speed's vest that I had once wanted.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091282/
Actually, the whole outfit is reminiscent of Jake's.
:eek:fftopic: I have to admit Connery was one of the best parts of the film. The commentary parts with the actors who played Jekyll and the invisible man were enjoyable also.

Sincerely,

Agree with you on all accounts.

Sure I can write an e-mail to Peter. I've me thim quite a few times now - he is a nice guy.

Ken

Baggers

Practically Family
Ken said:
Sure I can write an e-mail to Peter. I've me thim quite a few times now - he is a nice guy.

Ken

Excellent. I just sent you a PM.

BTW, in keeping with the character's English roots,I wonder if we shouldn't begin referring to this item as a waistcoat instead of a vest?

The Allan Quatermain Adventurer's Waistcoat?

(I just checked the spelling of the man's name through Wikipedia. The above spelling should be definitive.)

Cheers!

Ken

A-List Customer
Well waistcoat is definitly the term I would use, but I used that when over in the states and people looked at me like I was Irish or something... oh wait a minute :)

Ken

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Baggers- I understand what you are saying, but would it really drive the cost up for the rest of you guys if I had sleeves added to mine? I'm not trying to argue, but I wouldn't think that it would be any big deal for Peter. Maybe if the project continues on into a later stage...

Ken

A-List Customer
Kodiak

I think the key is that as a vest/waistcoat the garment is more straightforward. Adding sleeves makes it an entirely different garment. Think about Indy jackets and all the issues of gussets, jackets riding up, pleats, etc.

Also if you start adding sleeves then maybe someone else would want to add pleats on the back, or change the collar, etc, etc. This all makes things more complicated and time consuiming possibly to the point of being prohibitive, especially if these were to be done as a run.

Ken

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Ken-

Thanks for that. Somehow the way you put that made me get it :eusa_doh:

Because the vest is not built to be jacket, it wouldn't be as simple as just adding sleeves. Thanks again.

Well, still count me in for the number, but as said before, the price needs to be dead-on for me.

Cheers!

Mycroft

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
The weskit sound great. When the people that are smarter than me get the screen grabs, could we try to catch Connery's belt also.

The belt appears by a quick glance to be similar to a Brownie (SP) sans sword frogs etc. Let's make a new threat on that.

One more vest shot:

v9.jpg

Ken

A-List Customer
Still no reply. I will give it a couple of weeks before following up. Its not unprecedented during busy periods for their to be lag times replying to e-mails, especially I can understand ones of this nature.

Ken

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I noticed that my name was dropped a couple of times in this thread. Unfortunately, my tailor doesn't work with genuine leather, only... :( pleather! :eek:

Now, my cobbler also does leather garments, bags, etc... but I have a feeling Wested would easily beat me on price. I would estimate this vest from me to be around $300 in calfskin. So, unless you want this vest right now, I'd recommend waiting for Wested to come through. I may be convinced, however, to do a one-off prototype for around $225... :D

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Wow! Where the heck have I been?! I missed this entire thread for about two weeks! Asleep at the wheel again...

Does anyone know if Peter is planning to attend the QM again this year? If so, Baggers you will simply have to attend to get measured. I stupidly deferred getting measured last year, thinking I didn't want to waste the man's time if I didn't intend to buy a jacket in the immediate future. :eusa_doh: Why didn't I just get measured, fer cryin' out loud?! Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
I stupidly deferred getting measured last year, thinking I didn't want to waste the man's time if I didn't intend to buy a jacket in the immediate future. :eusa_doh: Why didn't I just get measured, fer cryin' out loud?! Stupid, stupid, stupid...
And who was imploring you to get measured..? :rolleyes:

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Wow! Where the heck have I been?! I missed this entire thread for about two weeks! Asleep at the wheel again...

Dude, WAKE UP! ;)

Mojave Jack said:
Does anyone know if Peter is planning to attend the QM again this year? If so, Baggers you will simply have to attend to get measured. I stupidly deferred getting measured last year, thinking I didn't want to waste the man's time if I didn't intend to buy a jacket in the immediate future. :eusa_doh: Why didn't I just get measured, fer cryin' out loud?! Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Believe me, the temptation is strong to go this year. I already have the jacket, but it would still be an honor to meet the man. Better to think about the opportunities taken than regretting the ones missed...

I wonder if there any rooms left on the QM?

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points