Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CONTEST: MEN ONLY: Free Framed Gee-Bee Z Airplane

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here's one I nearly forgot and would like to add to my previous entries.

BillyTri-Motor.jpg

"Billy with a Tri-Motor, 1932" ;)

Billy

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Second Judge Announced

I am pleased to announce that our lovely Second Judge has stepped forward, MissHannah!

MissHannah can be bribed with and clip earrings and flattery is certain to win her favor! Gentlemen, I believe we have a Judge who can be easily bribed to win the prize!

Thank you MissHannah for stepping forward...this will be a very tough contest to Judge, and we certainly appreciate your contribution.

Vintage Betty

GentleJohnny

New in Town
I know I'm outdone

Fellas, I'm sorry I could only post one picture, but I'm just an average grunt on the front lines. You boys have me beat and you got some great pictures on here. Cheers! And don't forget to give me air cover!!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Well, it's a pleasure to be judge on this fine contest! I have to say if the main criteria were quantity we'd already know who the winner was ;)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I know I have a number of entries in already, but here are some more. First, a classic 1950s trainer, a Hunting-Percival Jet Provost over Oshkosh:
JetProvost.jpg

Here's an FM-2 Wildcat with a TBM-3 Avenger over Lancaster County, PA. The low haze almost makes it appear as if they are over the Pacific:
WildcatTurkey.jpg

Here's a nice view of the P-51D "Six Shooter" over Rochester, NY on a sortie out of Geneseo. This was shot from the waist window of the B-17G, "Fuddy Duddy":
SixShooter.jpg

Here's a late afternoon shot of an SNJ over the Delaware River. A silky smooth day, so I shot at 1/60 second to effectively blur the prop:
SNJ.jpg

Here's a shot of the P-51D "Six Shooter" and the P-47D "Big A** Bird II" taken at Geneseo in appalling weather. Taken from the back seat of the SNJ in the photo above:
P-51P-47.jpg

Here's another shot of the two-seat Spitfire T.9 taken over Oshkosh. Taken from the back seat of the P-51D "Big Beautiful Doll":
TE308b.jpg

Lastly, here's a shot of the Mk.VIII Spitfire taken in thick haze over Oshkosh from the back seat of a T-28C:
MT719-1.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Absolutely fantastic photos Wingnut, well done :eusa_clap

By the way what A-2 is that you've got? Looks stunning.

Thanks, Smithy! The A-2 in most of the photos is a U.S. Authentic. It's actually a bit too big for me, I bought it before I realized I was a size 36 and not a 38. The other A-2 is a surprisingly accurate horsehide Sporty's Pilot Shop beater that I picked up for a song. That's the one that I had painted. I'm wearing it in the shot with the dog and my friend in front of the C-47 and Jeep.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The Wingnut said:
Thanks, Smithy! The A-2 in most of the photos is a U.S. Authentic. It's actually a bit too big for me, I bought it before I realized I was a size 36 and not a 38. The other A-2 is a surprisingly accurate horsehide Sporty's Pilot Shop beater that I picked up for a song. That's the one that I had painted. I'm wearing it in the shot with the dog and my friend in front of the C-47 and Jeep.

Cheers Wingnut, sharp looking jacket. And the rest of your kit isn't shabby either!

Sachet

Familiar Face
Copper said:
This is my avatar photo, enlarged.

Taken in New Zealand at the Old Mandeville Airfield near Gore, South Island, as I was about to embark upon my first hour of flight training in a restored Tiger Moth.

<snip>
I'm sorry - I know that the story here is not part of the entry... the photo just got me in a reminiscent kind of mood...

I wish everyone would give us the history of their photo's as you did so well, Copper. Your story added interesting depth and even more enjoyment as a result.

....Sachet

The story behind mine: B-52 50th Anniversary party, Wichita, April '02. (I was presenting a research paper to a contact in B-52 program management, so my profs let me sneak away for the week.)
The morning after the big party at Boeing, Kansas Aviation Museum just up the runway opened up their BUFF for old crewdogs to show their families around, and even for non-crewdog attendees to tour. I was on the tail-end of the crowd, so I got as long as I wanted... well, I had until the next Russian recon-satellite overflight anyway. (Which, of course, I stuck around outside to toss Ivan a "3-finger-salute minus two" for...lol)

Aftermath: after I returned to the college, a militantly anti-military prof decided to mouth off about how in his opinion even the museum-bird BUFFs should be scrapped. My response: show him that photo, then one of me on the range with two smoking pistols, followed by a casual "Molon freakin' Labe*, dude...":D
*In English: "Come and take 'em...", for the non Thermopylae/300 fans out there.

Copper

One of the Regulars
Sachet said:
I wish everyone would give us the history of their photo's as you did so well, Copper. Your story added interesting depth and even more enjoyment as a result.

....Sachet

Thank you Sachet - some photos are self explanatory, and some are not - That photo is much cherished by me as are the memories of that day. I too would love to hear some of the tales behind the great shots shown here. Its hard to have a photo of a FL member and a vintage plane or vintage aviator's kit without some sort of good story as to how it came to be!

rumblefish

One Too Many
Late entry

Some models my brother and I built when we were boys. We used to have all kinds of WW II models hanging from the ceiling. Some dogfights with Hellcats chasing Zeros that had smoke (painted cotton) pouring from a wing and hot pinholes to look like battle damage. There all gone but these WW I planes were built and painted shortly before we were ready to leave home so they didn't suffer the handling the others got. Some of them were flown by famous pilots (the real planes not the models). Painting the lozenge camouflage was a bit tedious. The dragon on Von Hippel's plane is a decal:eek: , but I'm proud of the paint match for the Jasta 5 tail pinstripe.
Von Hippel's Albatros D.V in front
DSC00784.jpg

Von Richthofen's albatros in front
DSC00785.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

Close up of Udet's Fokker D.VII
DSC00787.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21