Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cookin' some pork!

jkingrph

Practically Family
Sounds like a nice way to spend some family time. Sounds like a nice tasty meal as well. A few friends and I are meeting up on April 3 to smoke some meat. I believe we are planning to have a Boston butt, whole chickens, a brisket, and some sausage smoking that day. Accompanied with some jalapeno poppers, mac n' cheese, and baked beans. For this event we will be using hickory and oak via the indirect method for cooking.

Since we got the Big Green Egg, probably 95% of my outdoor cooking is by the indirect method. I also use oak lump charcoal, and usually hickory, but yesterday I used apple chunks. I see you are in Ga., my wife is from Macon and every time we go back we always hit a place up near Gray. Often we go up and spend a couple of day at Unicoi state park and hit almost every barbecue joint we see up in the area. I like the eastern pork better then than the almost brisket only barbeque served here in Texas, plus I like the sauces better in the SE over the heavy tomato based stuff here.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
That is one nice thing about bbq in the area I live in, there is not one set standard or set ideal for bbq. Pork seems to be the favorite in this region but there is no lack of people preparing other smoked meats. Just like you said jkingrph there is a number of sauces available as well; from Carolina to Alabama White to Texas and KC sweet.
I do have one tomato based bbq sauce recipe I use from time to time, most of the time though I just eat the meat without any sauce. I have been fortunate to have moist and tender meats after cooking.
I am not use anything fancy or cool; I use a basic Weber kettle grill. The indirect method, pan of water and the mix of hickory with oak. Ta da!

What is the name of the place you visit in Gray? If it is worth the drive I may go for a visit. :)

jkingrph

Practically Family
It's Old CLinton BBQ, I cannot remember highway #, everyone there calls it Gray Highway. It's a couple of miles south of Grey going toward Macon and will be on the left side.

There is another good one closer to you in Jackson, called Fresh Air BBQ, on hwy 42. They have a place in Macon on Riverside dr. where they actually truck in the cooked BBQ daily

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
It's Old CLinton BBQ, I cannot remember highway #, everyone there calls it Gray Highway. It's a couple of miles south of Grey going toward Macon and will be on the left side.

There is another good one closer to you in Jackson, called Fresh Air BBQ, on hwy 42. They have a place in Macon on Riverside dr. where they actually truck in the cooked BBQ daily

I will look them up and see when I can stop in for a bite or two.

IXL

One Too Many
Re: Jalapeno Poppers (otherwise known around here as "ABTs."

We split the peppers lengthwise and scrap out the seeds and veins. Cream cheese that has some jelly, usually cherry, mixed in with it is used as a filling. The jelly idea sounds terrible but is really quite good. A small sausage (many folks use a Lil' Smokey) is then pressed into the pepper, and the whole thing is wrapped in bacon. They are then grilled at around 300°F, with the open end placed facing up. If they can be placed sufficiently far from the fire, they are cooked "direct," as this helps crisp the bacon.
These things go as fast as they come of the cooker: people stand around like a bunch of baby birds with there mouths open.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Re: Jalapeno Poppers (otherwise known around here as "ABTs."

We split the peppers lengthwise and scrap out the seeds and veins. Cream cheese that has some jelly, usually cherry, mixed in with it is used as a filling. The jelly idea sounds terrible but is really quite good. A small sausage (many folks use a Lil' Smokey) is then pressed into the pepper, and the whole thing is wrapped in bacon. They are then grilled at around 300°F, with the open end placed facing up. If they can be placed sufficiently far from the fire, they are cooked "direct," as this helps crisp the bacon.
These things go as fast as they come of the cooker: people stand around like a bunch of baby birds with there mouths open.

I had not thought to add jelly. I will keep that in mind for the next time I set out to make poppers. Thank you for sharing! :)

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
No sir. Wasn't me. Don't even know what that is you speak of. I speculate it's a TV show?

It is. I stumbled across last week. There was a gentleman from Texas adoorned with a western styled hat, his adult son dressed along the same lines, competing in a cook off.

Myron Mixon, is a judge on the program. I have heard him prior to this but only from 2 people.
Anyway, the gent immediately brought you to mind, so I thought to ask.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
After 2 two disappointing attempts to have quality baby back ribs out at dinner, my father has said that I will be preparing him some for the 4th of July holiday.
For his birthday he wanted to go out for bbq, so that we did. He was so letdown when he got his ribs. He kept saying how they tasted like something cooked in an oven. Alas the waiter said, "We place the ribs on the smoke at the beginning, then in the oven for a while, and then just before they are done we put them back on the smoke."
We went to a Longhorn's for Father's day lunch and he had much the same reaction to their ribs.
So after his disappointing outings at these two location, he asked if I would smoke some ribs.

:eek: Sounds like a nice time to me!

Renault

One Too Many
Keep us posted WHW.

Only excitement here was a couple of pork roasts that got turned into pulled pork for Wifey. Otherwise just been working on trying to get the place cleaned up!

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I prepared and smoked some ribs for family on the 4th of July. The day started off with heavy rains and many telling me that I must forgo the barbecue. After looking at them a moment, I smiled and put on my raincoat as I walked out the door. A few minutes later I had constructed a 10' x 10' covering that was about 12 feet in the air. It was high enough that the covering would not catch on fire and it kept the rain off. The barbecue rolled on unabated. Around 1630 (4:30pm) the pork shoulder and ribs came off the smoker.
At the end of the meal there was nothing left, that is all I need to hear. :)

IXL

One Too Many
We went out to our lake house, on July 3rd, and I fired up the big 'ol horizontal offset smoker: two pork butts, two slabs of beef ribs, and a few rings of sausage. Tended that thing all night, with friends coming and going (sleep pussies!) and bringing imported beers. It was a great time.
My missus called a few of her sisters, early on the morning of the 4th, to tell them we would have mountains of food, and the next thing I knew, we were having a huge party for the 4th!!! No stress, good friends, family, great food, and a little three-year-old nephew who got to drive a real tractor for the first time: Best 4th, ever!

jkingrph

Practically Family
I prepared and smoked some ribs for family on the 4th of July. The day started off with heavy rains and many telling me that I must forgo the barbecue. After looking at them a moment, I smiled and put on my raincoat as I walked out the door. A few minutes later I had constructed a 10' x 10' covering that was about 12 feet in the air. It was high enough that the covering would not catch on fire and it kept the rain off. The barbecue rolled on unabated. Around 1630 (4:30pm) the pork shoulder and ribs came off the smoker.
At the end of the meal there was nothing left, that is all I need to hear. :)

I never have been that big on ribs, generally because they are so much more expensive, but got a couple of racks of baby back style and cooked for July 4. They came out so good, I told my wife we would be doing that again.

Renault

One Too Many
Young son came over and did a brisket on the old pit. I threw a precooked pork roast on too. All turned out good!!! There was a big pot of beans too. With big slabs of sow belly! Mmmmm!!!!

Sounds like all did well and had a good time!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana