Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
I expect the tie to be woven from gold thread to pay that much.

Funny you should say that. Back in the '50s, some very expensive ties were made from genuine gold thread. Sold at Saks, I. Magnin and other high-end department stores, the ties came with their own certificate of authenticity. The gold thread, a brocade, was woven in India.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
What a horrid tie. I guess a collector would want it.

Vintage 1940s ties with jazz/swing musical themes sell for big bucks.

I remember seeing one '40s tie that had Lindy hop jargon words printed all over it. ("Swivel," "Full Stop," "Aerial," etc.) You don't want to know how much that one went for.

Marc Chevalier said:
Funny you should say that. Back in the '50s, some very expensive ties were made from genuine gold thread. Sold at Saks, I. Magnin and other high-end department stores, the ties came with their own certificate of authenticity. The gold thread, a brocade, was woven in India.

They had them around in the 1980s as well. They were $125 at that time. I forget the brand name. They only had a few gold threads running through them though---not the whole tie.
For a 1950s tie made from gold thread---yeah, I would pay that much. I could later melt it if I needed the money. :p Have you seen the price of gold lately? ;) :D

Regards,

J

Baron Kurtz said:
That's not small. By no stretch of the imagination can 44" exterior chest measurement, 34 waist measurement be described as small. This would be the size worn by my brother at 5' 8".

bk

Yeah but I am 6' and its small for me. :p ;)
A 44" exterior usually means less inside so it is smaller. If the waist is measured the same way then it is not a 34" waist in the real sense either.
I wish the sellers on eBay could get a real sense of size. You always have to figure 2" less on whatever they quote you so it will actually fit. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
What a steal! Custom-made by one of Scotland's best tailors. A great color -- and with plus-fours (knickers)! Size 40 R. Went for under $100!! Can't believe it didn't go for hundreds more. Others like it have.

------------------------------http://cgi.ebay.com/TWEED-SHOOTING-...095142921QQcategoryZ91240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Boy, did he lose money. It sold for more than twice as much in the original auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200068449502

The real problem with eBay sellers is their obsession with describing anything less than 36 waist or 46 chest as "tiny". There seems to be some kind of absurd notion that big (6' and more) and heavy (250 lbs and more) is the norm. Census data suggests otherwise.

But, as men we're lucky. Apparently it's even worse in the women's clothing (according to the Baroness) where anything below a modern size 5 is regularly described as "childrens".

I must say, though, that i have two fantastic 30s suits - one british, one american - that i would not have if they were not listed thus. One was described as "tiny . . . might fit a small girl".

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
The real problem with eBay sellers is their obsession with describing anything less than 36 waist or 46 chest as "tiny". There seems to be some kind of absurd notion that big (6' and more) and heavy (250 lbs and more) is the norm. Census data suggests otherwise.

But, as men we're lucky. Apparently it's even worse in the women's clothing (according to the Baroness) where anything below a modern size 5 is regularly described as "childrens".

I must say, though, that i have two fantastic 30s suits - one british, one american - that i would not have if they were not listed thus. One was described as "tiny . . . might fit a small girl".

bk

Well, I suppose it depends on your perspective. For me a 46 chest is necessary. :p
When you consider that average height in Germany is 6' for men and 5'6" for women, you see a different average. The statistics I see for America at 5'9 1/2" are actually misleading because there is no such thing as one nationality that covers the United States. If you happen to be a white guy, the average is actually 5'10.2" according to the CDC. [huh]
The CDC tells us that the Average weight for men in 2002 was almost 191 pounds; for women, average weight was 163 pounds. Pretty close to where I am at.
When you consider average child weights: Teen boys aged 12-17 an average weight of 141 pounds in 2002. Teen girls in the same age bracket were about 130 pounds those suit size remarks are about right.
Somehow the average heights don't make sense when you consider the average height of a 15-year-old boy is almost 5'8¬?". The average height of a 15-year-old girl is 5'4". That means that the boy is only going to grow one inch to meet the average?!
So for clothing in general, on average, a size 38 or 40 would fit a 15 year old boy and a size 5 would fit a 15 year old girl. [huh] Seems about right.

Regards,

J

slicedbread

A-List Customer
This didn't particularly strike my tastes, but it was interesting enough to mention...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...EWA:IT&viewitem=&item=160096564376&rd=1&rd=1

greensuit1.jpg

Whoever got it got it for a good price...

Jovan

Suspended
Kinda reminds me of Kevin Spacey's corduroy three piece in Superman Returns. Had some sporting details like a button tab at the lapel. Really liked it. That movie had a good deal of vintage-ish style now that I think of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana