Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corduroy with Corduroy?

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
So I'm going for a sort a 1930ish English country look and have a camel color (light brown) trouser and waist coat set in corduroy that I wear with a nappy brushed twill (suede like) mid brown two Hutton blazer with leather buttons (sometimes without the waist coat) over a white shirt.

But I picked up a three button corduroy jacket with patch pockets and leather elbow patches in dark brown. Very country casual looking or maybe professor style. Can I wear corduroy with corduroy or is it too much? I will use the new jacket as my go to winter coat as it doesn't get all that cold here in Georgia

So I'm going for a sort a 1930ish English country look and have a camel color (light brown) trouser and waist coat set in corduroy that I wear with a nappy brushed twill (suede like) mid brown two Hutton blazer with leather buttons (sometimes without the waist coat) over a white shirt.

But I picked up a three button corduroy jacket with patch pockets and leather elbow patches in dark brown. Very country casual looking or maybe professor style. Can I wear corduroy with corduroy or is it too much? I will use the new jacket as my go to winter coat as it doesn't get all that cold here in Georgia

I'd say to stay away from matching like that. The it's analogous to double denim; a hard look to pull off for sure. If
You want to try it I'd say make sure there is a lot of separation in the colors. It would also be best if the wales are very different in width and texture. Maybe a Tweed jacket?

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Kind of thought so to similar

Even the suede is similar

What's a good tweed color to match to light brown?

Kind of thought so to similar

Even the suede is similar

What's a good tweed color to match to light brown?
It's hard to say without seeing the items. I'm fond of greens in Tweed and I personally like patterned garments (e.g., windowpane). You can also do well with moleskin or even the heavier non-Tweed wools. Take a look a calvary twill and the like in solids

Try google searches and view actual photos of the colors and textures together. Seeing it is the best way to go. I'm new with the whole hat wearing part and I regularly search for photos to help me coordinate.

Edward

Bartender
I'd quite happily wear cord on cord, as long as it's either a matching suit, or the jacket and trew are colour-wise far enough away from each other so as not to look like a failed attmept to pass them off as a suit. Cord on Cord isn't unthinkable as workwear on this side of the Atlantic. Going way back, evne into the early Victorian era, corduroy and moleskin were fabrics worn by the gentry (for relaxing, in bold colours) and the workers (dark and dull colours, for manual labour) alike. These days, tweed jackets are probably more commonly worn with cords if you want that rich people in the ocuntryside / academic relaxed dress code look, but the cord jacket will still work too. I used to have a dark brown cord blazer hat I wore a lot with tan coloured canvas or drill cotton trousers.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't do it. It may well have sometimes been done back in the day but today I think it would look strange and a bit contrived to most people. If that doesn't phase you (and it shouldn't have to) go ahead.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
I tend to not worry about what others think in that the way most men dress today who can tell. Most I see are in jeans and T shirts or even shorts and T shirts and I doubt they would know the difference.

But I would

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I tend to not worry about what others think in that the way most men dress today who can tell. Most I see are in jeans and T shirts or even shorts and T shirts and I doubt they would know the difference.

But I would

I wouldn't underestimate the capacity of cord on cord to amuse even the most sloppy dresser today. But that's great you don't care. For me period dressing, whether it's 1956 or 1946 doesn't have to look strange or contrived but it easily can. The best practitioners make it look effortless.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ