Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CORRECT FIT FLIGHT JACKETS

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Hi fellahs,

Heres an interesting question. Whats the appropriate fit for military flight jackets ? Use the classic USAF A2 and the USN G1 as an example. Most of the pictures in another thread ' Famous People In Flight Jackets ' I saw showed most of the jackets fitting rather tight with the bottom of the jacket right at the belt line.

I realize that many people these days prefer a larger fit and the lower part of the garment a bit longer below the belt line.

Is there a military regulation on flight jacket fitment and appearance today ?

Which fit looks better to you folks ? Old or modern way ?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I prefer a closer ("Old") fit & shorter length than many, I don't like long & baggy...though at the same time it cant be a strait jacket either. This preference can lead to some tough 'break-ins' and occasionally it's me rather than the jacket that throws in the towel first.

My ELC A-2 was subjected to a wear it wet approach as part of the getting to know you process & after a bit of a fight it now conforms and fits like a glove. Anything fitting below the belt-line feels like a tent to me & I find a modern 'Regular' fit far too long normally.

Service issue G-1s I generally find to be a perfect fit for me other than a bit too narrow in the shoulders.

In nylon I've found some 50's jackets to be slightly longer cut than later models (e.g. N-2A vs N-2B). I sold an Alpha 'Vintage' series L-2A /B to a giant once & the cuffs were just below his elbow & the waistband above his waist (he loved the jacket). That gent would have had problems back in the day.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I've mentioned this before in other threads, that the "correct" fit for military jackets is whatever you feel looks good. I am currently active duty Navy and I have seen snug fitting G-1s and very loose fitting jackets. Sometime it comes down to the day you get issued your jacket and what they have on hand that comes close enough to fitting you is what you get. It's not like you get to pick and choose and get the jacket tailor fit when you are at the warehouse picking up your gear. For the G-1, as long as the top of waist band sits on the belt line, it looks good. A lot of guys buy commercial G-1s that have side entry pockets and they tend to be a bit "baggy" on them.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
How they should fit comes up regularly here. I dislike the look of a baggy A2 but even McQueen's Escape jacket is fairly loose and fits him off the shoulders.

I think how they end up looking depends a lot on weight and height. My friend who is stout and short ( by his own admission) looks dreadful in a tight flying jacket and lot better in a looser fit. A tall thin person can wear a longer jacket but perhaps not a loose one.

But in the end what we like probably has a lot to do with who has influenced our clothing choices.

Last edited:

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Treetopflyer,

Am I to understand that Navy active and reserve duty are allowed to purchase civilian versions of the G1 and wear while in uniform ? Does that include the COLLARLESS version of the G1 also ? I think one coat manufacturer identifies that type of jacket as the USS FORRESTAL version that some refer to as the G2 ? And........... I thought the Navy didnt like the side pocket versions of the G1 period !! Thats why issue flight jackets dont have hand warmers.

A little confused but anxious to learn this stuff like you pro's !!

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Im wondering if I really need to purchase leather jackets in TALL sizes. I contacted one manufacturer and asked for the size difference in the cut and his answer was that his tall sizes were about 2 inches longer in the torso and sleeves. Then I looked at another coat makers size specs and it appears that only the sleeves are cut a bit longer if you order their TALL size or the longer torso cut wasnt mentioned.

I'd like a G1 in my 2XL size instead of a 2XLT if I could get away with it. The sleeves and torso fit on my G1 and A2 are a tad long. Im thinking about another G1 to knock around in. Nothing fancy or real expensive if it gets a little scrape or two.

kojax

Practically Family
this is a good fit
tmj0005-2.jpg

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
kojax, What is the size ? Regular fit or tall version of that nice looking A2 ??

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Treetopflyer,

Am I to understand that Navy active and reserve duty are allowed to purchase civilian versions of the G1 and wear while in uniform ? Does that include the COLLARLESS version of the G1 also ? I think one coat manufacturer identifies that type of jacket as the USS FORRESTAL version that some refer to as the G2 ? And........... I thought the Navy didnt like the side pocket versions of the G1 period !! Thats why issue flight jackets dont have hand warmers.

A little confused but anxious to learn this stuff like you pro's !!

Yes, pilots and aircrew do private purchases of G-1 flight jackets. They do have to at least "look" like an issued G-1. So, they have to have the mouton/fur collar. You are correct, the Navy doesn't like hands in pockets, in uniform, so the issued G-1s don't have side entry pockets. With that said, I have never seen anyone reprimanded for wearing the modified jackets. I am sure that if someone wanted to make an issue of it, they could. I think the bottom line is that, sadly, aviators and aircrew don't know enough about the jackets to know any difference.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Treetopflyer,

How about the collarless FORRESTAL version of the G1 ? So the Forrestal pilot who removed his wool collar from his jacket was typically out of uniform ? Navy pilots today cant wear that on duty ? Is this a case where it was overlooked then but its a no no now. Correct ?

I dunno. I think the G1 without the fur collar looked pretty sharp too. Do pilots often wish the fur collar was optional ?

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Treetopflyer,

How about the collarless FORRESTAL version of the G1 ? So the Forrestal pilot who removed his wool collar from his jacket was typically out of uniform ? Navy pilots today cant wear that on duty ? Is this a case where it was overlooked then but its a no no now. Correct ?

I dunno. I think the G1 without the fur collar looked pretty sharp too. Do pilots often wish the fur collar was optional ?
The "FORRESTAL" version is a marketing piece. It never existed in the fleet. I know guys that would rather have an all leather collar. I like the fur collar, but since it is not real mouton on the current issued jackets, it does not age well. Over time it tends to look like the hide of a wild animal.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Well how about that. It was just a marketing gimmick. So the story behind that coat was also false where supposedly a Forrestal carrier fighter jock during the Nam war removed the fur because it was so hot out. And the prices that coat manufacturer is asking for that jacket is pretty high. Somebody must be buying them because their still making them.

Im learning !

kojax

Practically Family
this is my toys real mccoy hilts a2 jacket. i bought it 2 years ago i paid alot but i like it size 38
Photo on 2016-02-06 at 13.18.jpg
Photo on 2016-02-06 at 13.18.jpg

devilish

A-List Customer
I don't want to appear mean but I think that Hilt's A-2 is a little big. Shoulders hang off slightly, sleeves tunnel and the sleeves look a bit baggy in general.
Having said all that, fit is so subjective it's virtually impossible to give advice on or to have a consensus. So go with the fit that fits you.

kojax

Practically Family
picture i sent was just showing the jacket i bought, that is not me lol i will take a picture with me sorry for the mistake

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't want to appear mean but I think that Hilt's A-2 is a little big. Shoulders hang off slightly, sleeves tunnel and the sleeves look a bit baggy in general.
Having said all that, fit is so subjective it's virtually impossible to give advice on or to have a consensus. So go with the fit that fits you.

I have to agree - Kojax's jacket is an example of a roomy fitting A2. Which some people prefer the feel of when worn.

But look at the photos of McQueen in the A2 - while not as roomy overall, Macca's has shoulder seams that sit on his upper arm.

Last edited:

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Holy Moly Guys ! The A2 should be a tighter fit ? Any tighter and the jacket cant be worn with anything other than a T Shirt. ( the FONZE look ) I guess everybody had their own preference but I personally wouldnt want my A2 any tighter. I just bought a new goatskin A2 recently and I wanted it a little loose for wearing at least a light sweater underneath or a flannel shirt for cool weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto