• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Correspondence - Find a Pen Pal

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by Polyhistor, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Polyhistor

Polyhistor Familiar Face

Inspired by a thread in another forum:

Would anyone be interested in corresponding with other members per letter? I imagine it could be fun and would as well be period correct for the Golden Era - especially when using a nice fountain pen and stationery...:)

If anyone´s interested, you could just add a reply to this thread, stating you´re in and whoever wants to get your address sends you a request via PM, so no private information would have to be visible in public.
    Maybe it would also be helpful for potential correspondents, if everyone added a short biographical sketch and/or list some of their hobbies/interests.

So here´s mine:

I´m 23 years old, study art history - just finished my first year - and my hobbies include reading (some favourites: HP Lovecraft, Umberto Eco, just too many to list them :) ), playing guitar and a few other instruments, homerecording and writing, mostly poetry. I do a little drawing now and then and enjoy cooking.

Regards, A.
  2. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

OOoooh! Pen Pals!!

I havent had one in a long time! Oh boy! Letters that are not bills!

3. I am slow to write...

But its something I should work on.....so sounds like a good plan...
  4. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

This could work

Will anyone send scented letters? ;)
  5. lol

This sounds great, and would give me an excuse to buy some beautiful stationery.

lol I think that would be at the discretion of the letter sender and its receiver.
  6. Polyhistor

Polyhistor Familiar Face

Nice to see some people are interested in this! :)

Unfortunately I can neither receive nor send PM´s or emails, it seems - do you have to have reach a certain number of posts before these features get activated? Or could it be that I just overlooked them? [huh]

But I created an email account instead: fl-correspondence@web.de, that should do for now. So if anyone wants to leave their address, I ´d too have an excuse for paying the stationery shop a little visit. ;)

As for scented letters...I do agree with Rosie, I think. lol

Regards, A.

7. Yes...you do have to hit a certain number of posts...I beleive its 15....in order to PM
  8. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Yes, 15... run around a few threads and drop a "nice hat!" and you're there.

9. and as to the scented....

I am sitting here thinking.....

Bertie Bots every flavoured beans...but in ink...

One would never know what olfactory joy (or disgust) the next letter might bring.

10. mysterygal

mysterygal Call Me a Cab

Great idea Poly! and do what Scot said...look in some hat threads and give out a compliment...you're almost there!:)
  11. Tony in Tarzana

Tony in Tarzana My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's what I did and now I'm over 600 posts! :eek:

Touch of the OCD, maybe? [huh]
  12. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

Once you reach 15 posts, you will.

13. And if you're too lazy to write in those posts, just use smileys.

14. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

And if you write letters, don't make heart shaped dots on top of your "i"s.
  15. Irena

Irena One of the Regulars

Ooh, pen-pals! I'm in!

So, if you go through some of my posts and don't think it'll be too hard to read a letter from me, PM me and we can exchange a little information. I'd be willing to have 50 pen-pals, as long as they will write back!

16. Samsa

Samsa Guest

I've always wanted a correspondent! I never really had the chance to write letters to people...I've compensated by reading the letters of famous people (Allen Ginsberg, Robert Lowell, etc.)
  17. Solid Citizen

Solid Citizen Practically Family

I thought everything I've been writting here for the last 8 months
    were electronic letters???

SC :rolleyes:
  18. Polyhistor

Polyhistor Familiar Face

Nice hat you got there (in your avatar pic)! :D What do you call that type of hat again?

Seems I´ll have to really drive up my post count by a few, as being able to PM will make things a bit easier (and I´ll be able to vote in the chocolate poll lol ).

Regards, A.
  19. Tony in Tarzana

Tony in Tarzana My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's a Homburg. :)

My Mom was from Austria. I really need to go there for a visit someday soon. Mom was from Salzburg, and she loved Ebensee.
  20. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

Don't forget that our troops love mail call, too. :D