Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correspondence - Find a Pen Pal

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Tony in Tarzana said:
My Mom was from Austria. I really need to go there for a visit someday soon. Mom was from Salzburg, and she loved Ebensee.

I attend university in Salzburg. It´s a small world, isn´t it? :)

Strider

One of the Regulars
I'd do this, but all I have is a pencil and some lined paper. I don't think I'd go out and spend a ton of money on stuff to write letters with.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Strider, but you don't have to go out and get fancy paper or anything....hope the rest of you guys agree with me on this, but, I'd hate for it to turn out to be some kind of contest of who has the best letter supplies! This will be fun..and hopefully kept that way!

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Strider said:
I'd do this, but all I have is a pencil and some lined paper. I don't think I'd go out and spend a ton of money on stuff to write letters with.

mysterygal has summed it up very well, I think. There´s no need to use fancy paper if you don´t feel like it. As far as I´m concerned, every letter is welcome, no matter what it´s written on.

Regards, A.

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Tony in Tarzana said:
Here are some pictures of my mother Maria Zahradnicky taken in Austria in 1942. She was a Red Cross nurse.

(Click on the thumbnails for a larger image)

Tony,

your mother looks lovely in these pictures. One almost forgets they were taken in the middle of WWII. Was the one on the left taken at the Fortress Hohensalzburg? The view reminds me of the city, but I´m by no means in the know what the cityscape looked like in these days.

If you ever come to Salzburg, don´t forget to bring your umbrella, by the way! :)
Regards, A.

Rosie

One Too Many
Are we supposed to contact one another by PM to let one another know we'd like to exchange letters? If that's the case, no one wants me :( Who wants to be my pen pal? :eek:

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
mysterygal said:
One more post to go Poly....how's the weather there?

By far too hot! :)

Had a bit of a stressful workday (sitting around reading, waiting for visitors :) ) so I had not too much time to post, but here´s number 15!
PM should be available, let´s see if this works.

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Rosie said:
Are we supposed to contact one another by PM to let one another know we'd like to exchange letters? If that's the case, no one wants me :( Who wants to be my pen pal? :eek:

EDIT: I´m able to send and receive PM´s now (there will be some going out right after I finish writing this).

As for contacting one another, I thought PM´s would be a good way of keeping real adresses from getting into too many hands.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
Rosie!!!!! I'll pen pal you! pm me! me and Poly are penpaling as well...but, the more the better! :) you did bring up a good point...how are we going to work this out? I guess we can just see who on here said they were interested, and pm them and see if they don't mind being your pen pal?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Will letters from those with a taste for the Film Noir come written on an old Underwood typewriter and smell of cigarettes and gin?

Seriously, I do like the idea of using the internet to try an revive an art that is being killed by...the internet. Great idea!

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
mysterygal said:
Rosie!!!!! how are we going to work this out? I guess we can just see who on here said they were interested, and pm them and see if they don't mind being your pen pal?

That´s exactly the way I had in mind.
Guess my initial post wasn´t formulated that well! The heat
has affected my grammatical abilities considerably :)

Regards, A.

Rosie

One Too Many
scotrace said:
I sent an email... how does this work again?

Rosie: May I?

So far, we've just PMed the people who've said they'd like to join in and then exchanged addresses. Then we say who will write first as to not find ourself four months later waiting for a letter.

scotrace said:
Will anyone send scented letters? ;)

I'll get a bottle of vintage perfume just for you. ;)

Yah! I've made it to "A List Customer"!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm hoping that my next 'title' is better than this one!...one too many just isn't fitting for a lady!:rolleyes: :D
I've always loved the idea of sending a perfume scented letter to someone! But, to send it to another girl would be...kind of weird!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
mysterygal said:
I'm hoping that my next 'title' is better than this one!...one too many just isn't fitting for a lady!:rolleyes: :D
I've always loved the idea of sending a perfume scented letter to someone! But, to send it to another girl would be...kind of weird!

Im comfotable enough with my heterosexuality to like and appreciate sented letters from another lady. :)

LD

magneto

Practically Family
I'd like to be in on this: my poor fountain pens and Underwood "Universal" typewriter are sadly under-utilized when one does all her current corresponding online! :(

Rosie

One Too Many
mysterygal said:

Lady Day said:
Im comfotable enough with my heterosexuality to like and appreciate sented letters from another lady. :)

LD

You two are funny!lol I was thinking something along the line of pressed flowers. Since it's summer, my garden is in full bloom. Something small to pass along, maybe seeds from things I've grown. [huh] In older movies, when people get letters, there is usually an item along with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points