Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costuming a series of films

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I am currently in the process of writing screen plays for some shorts, and they will be in the film noir style. I will be acting/overseeing production, and I'm on the lookout for prohibition era clothing. However, I have not previously researched this, is there any way to get a crash course on that style? Seeing as everyone who will be connected to this will more than likely be in college, we won't have much of a budget, but I'd like it to be as accurate as possible. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
OK, thanks! Like I said, it really doesn't have to be perfect, as most of the people who will see this are from the sticks where culture is watching a stage production in your Wranglers and Wolverine boots... But, I'd like it to be as close as I can make it. I have a few pieces in my everyday wardrobe that will suffice, though.

Corky

Practically Family
Shooting in Louisville might be a problem, but...

The way to go is to advertise for actors and actresses to show up for the auditions in the kind of period costumes you seek.

When they show up for tryouts, take digital photos for your records and use the ones who are not suitable for parts as extras and background characters.

Also advertise for costume people. There are probably some people there in Louisville who have the expertise and outfits you seek.

If you're going to purchase or make costumes, try to limit your expenditures to the costumes for the lead roles and principal characters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot