Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

I know what you mean but Those are great butterflies. I've got a pair of Griffith-Blucher boots in elephant ear that are so worn the boots would need to be rebuilt from the shaft down but the shafts show practically no wear and the stitching is some of my favorite. Still, about the same as having a new pair made.
I always want to save something that has been with me thru thick & thin, thru any number of yrs, rather than just throw all that away & replace it. Just the way I am.

Beautiful tops with variegated stitching.

260tnh1.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19203730724...3De11021.m43.l3160%26rvr_id%3D0&ul_noapp=true

HJ and I were having a conversation about boot restoration and it prompted me to break these out. I don't think I've posted them before, apologies if I have. Giffith-Blucher in elephant ear. Had them a long time and they're just worn out, (wearing them too much, spur straps and barnyard acids will do that) with the exception of the shaft and linings and I love the stitching which is why I continue to hang onto them, I guess. The cost of a rebuild would rival the cost of a new pair and finding a matching skin probably impossible.
CIMG2449.JPG
CIMG2450.JPG
CIMG2451.JPG
CIMG2452.JPG
CIMG2453.JPG
CIMG2454.JPG

TPD166

One Too Many
Rios of Mercedes boots (new-to-me). This is my first pair from this maker, so I know little about them (other than positive comments about the maker here on TFL) – not sure of vintage, model, etc. (and would appreciate any info from those more knowledgeable about ROM boots). Very impressed with the quality and workmanship – so I’m confident that $25 was well-spent for a pair of boots to knock-around in!

Last edited:
Rio of Mercedes boots (new-to-me). This is my first pair from this maker, so I know little about them (other than positive comments about the maker here on TFL) – not sure of vintage, model, etc. (and would appreciate any info from those more knowledgeable about ROM boots). Very impressed with the quality and workmanship – so I’m confident that $25 was well-spent for a pair of boots to knock-around in!

Very nice, Robert and what a deal or steal at $25. I like the cording on the shaft. One of the last U. S. mfg. of cowboy boots. I've owned one pair and IMHO, at least as well made as Luchesse Classics. They still use a leather toe box which is unheard of in a factory boot and a lot of custom makers don't even do that anymore. At one time they made the Cowboy boots for RRL, Ralph Lauren's high end western wear line.

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks Greg - I'd heard good things and you've confirmed that. Hope they wear as good as they look!

Very nice, Robert and what a deal or steal at $25. I like the cording on the shaft. One of the last U. S. mfg. of cowboy boots. I've owned one pair and IMHO, at least as well made as Luchesse Classics. They still use a leather toe box which is unheard of in a factory boot and a lot of custom makers don't even do that anymore. At one time they made the Cowboy boots for RRL, Ralph Lauren's high end western wear line.

Nice pair of boots Robert. I've never owned a pair myself. In style they are very representative of a valley boot I think. Since the early 2000's Rios owns what is left of the Olathe Boot Company plus their Anderson Bean line. They manufacture all 3 in their factory, plus a line of boots they outsource & sell all 4 lines thru some major retailers like Boot Barn & Cavenders Western Wear. Other than a retail store at the factory I'm not sure if they still operate any stores of their own or not.

GlamRockCowboy

New in Town
Hiya, folks! I'm looking for pictures of a boot style that was pictured in the Miller Stockman catalogs of the late 60's and early 70's. I believe it was called "Spread Eagle," and it featured a white eagle, front and back, with block-shaped inlays, red, yellow, and blue, in the eagle's wings. If I remember correctly, the boots in question also had a white collar, and possibly a walking or block heel. I had pictures of this style on my hard drive several years ago, which I found on the Internet, but I lost them when my hard drive failed. If any of you have Miller Stockman catalogs from the time period in question, could you please check them and see if indeed they the boot style I've described here? If so, could you please post them in the appropriate area? I'd love to be able to that style reproduced, although with a few modifications (i.e., a high undershot riding heel and a sharp pointed toe, just for fun!), but I need pictures to be able to tell a bootmaker what I have in mind. Oh, and I seem to remember that the head and shoulders of an eagle were also incised into the toe area of the boot. Thanks in advance for any help or assistance anyone can provide!

Also picked up these vintage Tony Lama boots (style 5100?) - I believe they may be kangaroo since the leather looks like a pair of Noconas I have made of that hide.

Robert, cool boots but those are likely antelope or caribou. TL and Nocona produced those for awhile in various decades? That's a pretty old TL stitch pattern on those boots I'd place around late 60's-early 70's. I have a pair of antelopes I can post some pics of and I think a couple others may have some as well. Kangaroo will be as nearly as smooth as a fine calf but a little more pliable and softer. When you look closely at kangaroo, you can see the markings left by mites on the surface of the skin unless the hide has been "improved" by sanding or other means.

Oh, and I seem to remember that the head and shoulders of an eagle were also incised into the toe area of the boot.
I'm taking it that by incised you are meaning inlaid. Several factory boot companies have inlaid & some have just stitched both eagles or the rising Phoenix on the toe at times. One of the companies doing it today is Old Gringo, but they are an expensive boot for what you get in my opinion.

Acme Boot is probably the brand from Miller Stockman at the time. You should not have any problem coming up with pictures of examples to chose from however.

2gu04fm.jpg

a40u1l.jpg

The boots will probably just end up on display in the future Arnold Schwarzenegger museum, wherever that may be. The artisans, in this case the bootmakers are motivated by the immortality that brings to them as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk