Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

You need a scorpion now DJH. Lol!
View attachment 64918
Box art.

dm8fbn.jpg

Manly Footwear

New in Town
Manly, I don't have any experience with Caiman. The only reptile boots I own are American alligator belly. You spoke of being rough on footwear and that alone would make me reluctant to go with an exotic like that for my first pair of customs because hiding or repairing scuffs and nicks is going to be a lot more difficult than it would be with a smooth leather. I'm self conscious every time I put my gators on, always concerned about dinging them up.

As for the toe, that's just a personal preference. I'm not a fan of the wide square toe box but they're awfully popular right now. The widest toe box in my collection is approximately 1" .

Thanks Bama!

When I said I'm hard on footwear, I was mainly talking about wearing out soles (standard leather soled dress shoes) and just general breaking them down. I do maintain and care for them on regular schedule, just wear'em out.

I feel like a robust boot will wear better for me. Also, square toe, I agree not a big fan of wide pilgram style boots. I'm drawn to more toned down square possibly french toe.

Thanks!

That was heartwarming. I like his choice in jewelry as well as the boots he makes.
Haven't read it yet...need another cup of coffee or two this morning.

Anyone looking for a tough daily wearing boot I would be looking for vintage elephant made by one of the good boot companies back in the day. Replace the heel caps if necessary. I have two pair of TL elephants. As the ol' saying goes, they ain't makin' me anymore!

RJR

Haven't read it yet...need another cup of coffee or two this morning.

Anyone looking for a tough daily wearing boot I would be looking for vintage elephant made by one of the good boot companies back in the day. Replace the heel caps if necessary. I have two pair of TL elephants. As the ol' saying goes, they ain't makin' me anymore!
+1

I'm amazed how you could survive long enough making just a few pair a yr until your name got out there & you built up some orders & customers for custom boots, in a market that is probably shrinking everyday. It's one thing to be a 2nd generation bootmaker but it's another thing entirely to be a start-up in this day & age.

Yeah, I was blown away at the age he started.

Yeah, I was blown away at the age he started.
Putting together all the equipment wouldn't be easy. You would probably have to buy out a repair shop. I knew a trucker who wanted to get off the road so he bought out a retail boot store/repair shop when the owner was ready to retire. Trucker planned to sell new boots but didn't have much money for inventory. He moved the equipment & everything into the 1st floor of an old house he & his wife lived in just off the town square (great location). Remodeled the upstairs into an apartment where they lived. Did great repair work but just not enough of it. His wife got tired after a couple of yrs & divorced him. I think he went back to driving over the road. Don't know what happened to his equipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points