Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For the new guys and just because I like them. Tony Lama's from a time when their boots were about as good as any to be found, including custom. Probably mid 50's - mid 60's, judging by the label. Kangaroo foot with a calf top and three rows of stitching. If you look closely, you'll notice the middle row of the stitching is variegated thread. Also, you'll notice slight imperfections in the stitching on the tops and the welt. Just further proof that they were handmade. I wish they were still making them this way.
CIMG3656.JPG
CIMG3657.JPG
CIMG3658.JPG
CIMG3659.JPG
CIMG3660.JPG

Desert dog

For the new guys and just because I like them. Tony Lama's from a time when their boots were about as good as any to be found, including custom. Probably mid 50's - mid 60's, judging by the label. Kangaroo foot with a calf top and three rows of stitching. If you look closely, you'll notice the middle row of the stitching is variegated thread. Also, you'll notice slight imperfections in the stitching on the tops and the welt. Just further proof that they were handmade. I wish they were still making them this way.
View attachment 89196 View attachment 89197 View attachment 89198 View attachment 89199 View attachment 89200
Now those really do it for me ! The black with red piping has such a beautiful contrast. Probably my favorite thing about these is the variegated stitching, it reminds me of western shirt embroidery. The fact that something of this vintage has survived so beautifully, speaks to the quality of the boot and care that it has received.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Desert dog

Now those really do it for me ! The black with red piping has such a beautiful contrast. Probably my favorite thing about these is the variegated stitching, it reminds me of western shirt embroidery. The fact that something of this vintage has survived so beautifully, speaks to the quality of the boot and care that it has received.

I sure am enjoying seeing all these fine boots! I got my Nocona pythons and am pretty happy. They have very minimal wear, the heels show almost no wear. They fit well and have been comfortable so far.
f2d824308621cf4ddd12a2007842e57b.jpg
df59dcf2ef85ce1a6c303616d5a92f18.jpg
a63b0b2b1b8e6f3f0e92fb222cdc5dd0.jpg
02b688872912daabb4fce8b965c5a2ae.jpg

View attachment 89196 View attachment 89197 View attachment 89198 View attachment 89199 View attachment 89200
Those gators are sublime, Cuz, but these TLs are what really do it for me. Classic 50s style.

I sure am enjoying seeing all these fine boots! I got my Nocona pythons and am pretty happy. They have very minimal wear, the heels show almost no wear. They fit well and have been comfortable so far.
f2d824308621cf4ddd12a2007842e57b.jpg
df59dcf2ef85ce1a6c303616d5a92f18.jpg
a63b0b2b1b8e6f3f0e92fb222cdc5dd0.jpg
02b688872912daabb4fce8b965c5a2ae.jpg

Sweet looking pythons. I've always admired the ones that show the natural markings like that.

I'm a big fan of the cowboy boots. I'm also a big fan of about anything mid century, so when I came across these starburst inlay 1950s boots, and they were crazy cheap, I had to jump in 'em. These are straight Vegas.

What's left of a stamp in the pull strap identifies these as Dodge City brand. Never heard of 'em, but I suspect they were made under contract by ACME. These are from what appears to be the transitional period between when they made a decent product and started churning out utter crap.
90755b2aa6704cdf717d91cddda65e1f.jpg

Desert dog

I'm a big fan of the cowboy boots. I'm also a big fan of about anything mid century, so when I came across these starburst inlay 1950s boots, and they were crazy cheap, I had to jump in 'em. These are straight Vegas.

What's left of a stamp in the pull strap identifies these as Dodge City brand. Never heard of 'em, but I suspect they were made under contract by ACME. These are from what appears to be the transitional period between when they made a decent product and started churning out utter crap.
90755b2aa6704cdf717d91cddda65e1f.jpg

I love the inlays on boot tops of that period. I would love to find some like yours! My first boots as a kid were Acme in about '62 -'63. They had gold inlay that yours has, but they were steer horns. The starburst is beautiful and has that 50s look.

A file photo of my early Eagles. I haven't worn these in several yrs as they are now too narrow. I should probably start pairing down some of my collection.

IMG_4477.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

Those are great, HJ. I really like the color of the foot and the texture of the leather on the tops is killer and the piping matching the inlay of the eagle make them pop.

Those are great, HJ. I really like the color of the foot and the texture of the leather on the tops is killer and the piping matching the inlay of the eagle make them pop.
Unmarked so I can't prove it I think these boots are early TL's designed by Enid (certainly pre-Nocona) for Judi Buie's shop in NY. If you have the Texas Boots book check out the section on Buie. There is a similar pair to these.

Here's some interesting info from Buie's bio (now deceased):

"Cowboy boots were a rare commodity in New York when Ms. Buie put them on center stage while working as a fashion photographer. Later, she went into business selling boots and counted New York celebrities among her customers."

"With her contacts she had made in promotions and fashion photography, Ms. Buie put on a Texas-size party to open her boutique, Texas at Serendipity, in November 1976. Her guests included Andy Warhol and the designer Halston. Sales were good, but her boot business got a real kick with the opening of Lone Star Cafe, a Texas-style New York bar."

"She had a fashion show at the bar. Her models included a 12-year-old Brooke Shields. The show attracted the attention of the three television networks and The New York Times."

"She was soon selling boots to Liza Minnelli, Barbra Streisand, Catherine Deneuve and members of Kiss."

Jack, that toe bug is awfully similar to the TL's I posted. Thanks for that information. I've been on the hunt for the Texas Boot Book for awhile. They're out there but a decent condition hardcover is hard to find at a price I'm willing to pay.

TL used to make boots under license that were exclusive to certain shops. Billy Martin's in NY comes to mind.

Desert dog

A file photo of my early Eagles. I haven't worn these in several yrs as they are now too narrow. I should probably start pairing down some of my collection.

IMG_4477.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg
Those are beautiful! The color combination is really nice. That toe bug is unique. Really vintage look. I like everything about them.

Damn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21