Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Weekend find. Larry Mahan Stingray in a dark green. Forest green maybe. El Paso,Texas made.
58eb22bc1680f2816ab8ef3442fd3358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great find! The green color is beautiful in Stingray.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I read this quote from a saddlemaker who also does boot repairs. I've purposely omitted his name.

"I am not into Twisted X boots but found a decent looking pair to rebuild as a project, these are brand new and after taking them apart..the insole is plastic, the welts were coming apart with little pull on them because the cord used is very weak, the heel block was cardboard, the shank is covered with cardboard and looks to be plastic,and finally excessive use of nails."
Gasp! Can you even believe it? [emoji23]

Weekend find. Larry Mahan Stingray in a dark green. Forest green maybe. El Paso,Texas made.
58eb22bc1680f2816ab8ef3442fd3358.jpg

I'm typically not a fan of stingray. The texture and the prominent (star, Pearl or whatever), centered in the vamp doesn't appeal to my eye but this pair is executed as well as any I have seen, production or custom.

Though I'm more of a fan of green as a boot top, the color and contrasting tops are great. Lots of detail in those boots. Overlays on the pulls and the stitching is nice. Best of all, the white dots on the vamp ar subtle. Anyone remember who made Mahan's? Everyone who remembers Larry Mahan, raise your hand.

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
By the way, I have to say that if anyone is looking for a complete resole Tulsa Shoe Rebuilders did an exceptional job on my full alligator boots. Initially they said it would take 3 weeks, that stretched out to ~2 months. I didn't rush them to do the work and happy about it as the work truly is exceptional. Full leather resole and insole as well, I paid $340. Would not hesitate in recommending them to any of you, but patience is something you better have.

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
I'm typically not a fan of stingray. The texture and the prominent (star, Pearl or whatever), centered in the vamp doesn't appeal to my eye but this pair is executed as well as any I have seen, production or custom.

Though I'm more of a fan of green as a boot top, the color and contrasting tops are great. Lots of detail in those boots. Overlays on the pulls and the stitching is nice. Best of all, the white dots on the vamp ar subtle. Anyone remember who made Mahan's? Everyone who remembers Larry Mahan, raise your hand.

I like the colors and patterns that are able to be made with that. And the toughness being that they are calcium deposits. I was very happy to take these home mostly because of the great quality of them. Not sure who made these for the Mahan brand but they are tagged as El Paso made, could be one of the many boot factories that were there in the era this boot was made.

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
I never liked eel, but when I saw these lucchese up for sale locally I picked them up, I like the vertical stitch rather than the diagonal that most usually do. The seams are well done and the box toe it very sturdy.
These are well loved but are still in great shape. The color and the top stitching are also catch my eye.
6ef73be23ba7b4282f138208bf9a2e8b.jpg
1a9e64d7e160466fc631bf5eec17e658.jpg
7907dd6f06115237cb25c1b70edb6eee.jpg

French toe on these.

I never liked eel, but when I saw these lucchese up for sale locally I picked them up, I like the vertical stitch rather than the diagonal that most usually do. The seams are well done and the box toe it very sturdy.
These are well loved but are still in great shape. The color and the top stitching are also catch my eye.
6ef73be23ba7b4282f138208bf9a2e8b.jpg
1a9e64d7e160466fc631bf5eec17e658.jpg
7907dd6f06115237cb25c1b70edb6eee.jpg

French toe on these.

Alex, I meant to mention that I like the toe and how well it's done on the stingray boots.

Some believe San Antonio made Lucchese's are the best they've ever made. Unusual seaming on the eel. I owned a navy pair a hundred tears ago and the hides were stitched at an angle, horizontally accross the vamp. Comfortable boots but I peeled the hell out of them

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
Alex, I meant to mention that I like the toe and how well it's done on the stingray boots.

Some believe San Antonio made Lucchese's are the best they've ever made. Unusual seaming on the eel. I owned a navy pair a hundred tears ago and the hides were stitched at an angle, horizontally accross the vamp. Comfortable boots but I peeled the hell out of them

The stitching on the vamp caught my attention. I know what you mean by how they are usually done.

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
Any products y’all can recommend that I can use to care for my snake skin boots? I have two pair, one diamondback, one Karung snake. The diamondback are very “scaley” I guess you would say. I want to keep them from drying out.

Thanks

Any products y’all can recommend that I can use to care for my snake skin boots? I have two pair, one diamondback, one Karung snake. The diamondback are very “scaley” I guess you would say. I want to keep them from drying out.

Thanks

Alex, I use Bickmore 4 on all of mine, smooth and exotics. It's reccomended for snake as well. Always apply in the direction of the scales.

Speaking of snakeskin does anyone know how to mount one? Can a taxidermist do that? I have a black/white Kingsnake skin I'd like to make a belt out of. It's about 5-1/2' long. I skinned it out last summer, staked it out on a plank & salted the backside. Hope I didn't ruin it. I have a couple of smaller skins where that has worked but I have never done anything with them.

Desert dog

Speaking of snakeskin does anyone know how to mount one? Can a taxidermist do that? I have a black/white Kingsnake skin I'd like to make a belt out of. It's about 5-1/2' long. I skinned it out last summer, staked it out on a plank & salted the backside. Hope I didn't ruin it. I have a couple of smaller skins where that has worked but I have never done anything with them.
I made a lot of rattlesnake hat bands, years ago. A project I worked on was infested with Mojave greens. After salting the skins, and cleaning it off, I had pretty good luck restoring some elasticity by using liquid glycerine saddle soap. I did several applications to the back side, using a damp cloth to remove excess residue. I then coated the scale side with a spray saddle laquer, such as fiebing's saddle lac.

I made a lot of rattlesnake hat bands, years ago. A project I worked on was infested with Mojave greens. After salting the skins, and cleaning it off, I had pretty good luck restoring some elasticity by using liquid glycerine saddle soap. I did several applications to the back side, using a damp cloth to remove excess residue. I then coated the scale side with a spray saddle laquer, such as fiebing's saddle lac.

Thanks DD. I'm thinking about a belt or a guitar strap so it will be mounted on leather. Taxidermists will be busy with deer this time of yr but I think I'll wait a couple of months & ask one that I have used before what he can do or what I need to do.

Did you back the hatbands with anything? I might have enough scrap for a hatband too depending on how much waste to the skin there ends up being.

Desert dog

Thanks DD. I'm thinking about a belt or a guitar strap so it will be mounted on leather. Taxidermists will be busy with deer this time of yr but I think I'll wait a couple of months & ask one that I have used before what he can do or what I need to do.

Did you back the hatbands with anything? I might have enough scrap for a hatband too depending on how much waste to the skin there ends up being.
All of my skins were mounted on leather. I used barge cement to mount them.

I've wanted a pair of these Acmes for a long time. A combination of late night, two bourbons, available credit and a BIN allowed it to happen. I know these are not the best made boots, but they are iconic and the larger sizes (and lower prices) don't come around that often. My birthday is next month so ... Happy Birthday to me!

Acme_Black_01.jpg
Acme_Black_02.jpg
Acme_Black_03.jpg
Acme_Black_04.jpg
Acme_Black_06.jpg
Acme_Black_07.jpg
Acme_Black_08.jpg

I've see the rainbow cloth pulls on a couple of other pairs (vs. the black with "ACME"). I wonder if they were ones sold through Sears or some other outlet.

Acme_Sears_1956_Cloth_Pulls.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana