Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Lucchese

I'm wearing my Lucchese boots right now, and I absolutely love them. Yep, they're pricey. But I got this pair off eBay for about $60 and have been very happy. I like Tony Lama and J. Chisholm, as well. They're much cheaper.

--Burma Shave

jpdesign

Vendor
short of going custom made, as far as quality goes, Luchasse is the top of the list. That being said, every boot maker uses their own lasts(like a hat block for making boots) that have distictive shapes. Try on different boot makers, in differant sizes and widths, to see which fits best. While kangaroo is one of the strongest leathers in tinsel strength(pulling on each end) it's surface scuffs very easily. Ostrich is actually considered one of the best leathers over all for boots. It's tensil stength is not rated as high, but for good reason. Ostrich stretches easily, but after you take them off, they will draw back up a bit, so they are snug everytime you put them on and after about half a hour they fit like a glove. Ostrich is also near the top of the list for scuff resistance. the ones above it are sting ray(the toughest leather available-you can use it as sandpaper) and elephant(next toughest). We literally scrape Stingray against the counter and make sawdust in the store as a demo. Elephant will last through 3 or 4 soles easily, and still look good. My Ostrich boots are 8 years old, everythings they are brand new, and they are going in for a second resoling soon. For dress boots you can also consider lizard, caimen crocodile, crocodile, nile aligator, and american aligator. These are listed by price in ascending order. These are about looks, the farther you go up the list the better they look(by general consent). Smooth ostrich, cut from the stomach(no qill marks) doesn't cost much, if any, more that a goat or calf skin, and lasts much longer. Full quill ostrich(covered in bumps from where the quills were) is dressier and more interesting visually. The quills take more die and are thus darker than the rest of the leather.

hope this clears some things up.

Jimmy

Boots

Gang, I have several pair for boots and I love my Tony Lama boots, there nothing to fancy plain calf skin in a rust color with tan stitching and toe bug.
But I also own several very nice Cowtown boots, in Alligator and Crocodile and for the price you wont be disappointed. They are as low as $299 for certain colors! You cant beat that unless you get lucky on ebay. These are full skin not the that pieced look that some sell.

Hope this helps! ;)

Bart

Familiar Face
Choose your boots, but.....

I have Tony Lamas, Justins and Lucchese cowboy boots and like them all, though I am partial to my Luccheses. What ever you choose, when you buy them, go to sockcompany.com. Thorlo makes a western dress over the calf sock made especially for wear with cowboy boots. Buy 6 pair + and get free shipping. These socks might eliminate the need for an insert for your boots as they have a cushion foot and heel. Follow care directions. Enjoy wearing the boots, it's a great look.

Bart:cheers1:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the sock advice

Bart said:
I have Tony Lamas, Justins and Lucchese cowboy boots and like them all, though I am partial to my Luccheses. What ever you choose, when you buy them, go to sockcompany.com. Thorlo makes a western dress over the calf sock made especially for wear with cowboy boots. Buy 6 pair + and get free shipping. These socks might eliminate the need for an insert for your boots as they have a cushion foot and heel. Follow care directions. Enjoy wearing the boots, it's a great look.

Bart:cheers1:

I'll have to give it a try. I have a wide foot and although I'm 8 1/2 EE without the insert my arch aches.:cool:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lincsong said:
I'll have to give it a try. I have a wide foot and although I'm 8 1/2 EE without the insert my arch aches.:cool:

I'll be curious to hear what boot you end up with, now
that I see your size. I'm a 10 EEEE, and width is usually
the problem with boots (and shoes...). Keeps me from
ordering online. So I'll be interested in hearing which boot
you find to provide real support for those dogs of yours.

I have a pair of boots that were made for me in Spain.
The bootmaker had never seen such wide feet in his career.

Lincsong said:
I want to buy another pair of cowboy boots. I don't want some cheap pair of Made In China, Mexico or India nonsense, but, quality American boots. I've looked at Lucasey (Lucchesi), Nocona and Tony Lama. The Lucasy boots are said to have a patent on the heel so that they don't roll around. They run about $500 or $600. Some of the Nocona boots are exotic skins and are about $200 less. Anyone familiar with cowboy boots and what type of skin is the best? I don't like ostrich.
Take a look at Liberty boots,Paul Bond,Champion.Just a few.

What do want to do with them?

I've worn boots almost my whole life. I grew up in New Mexico and Texas. I've worn Tony Lamas, Justins, Sanders' (now defunct), Noconas, Dan Post, hell even Acmes when I was a kid and growing out of 'em too fast. Your choice should be based on the purpose and on fit. I wear a 12D shoe but in boots I've worn everything from a 12D down a 11EW. Depends on toe shape to heel height. Always, if you can, try 'em on!

A good boot for bopping around is the Roper. Plain round toe with a low heel and no stitching. Looks good with Dockers/khakis (always a size longer please). Where you're going to do alot of walking/standing, a Roper style with a crepe sole is great. Thicker soles are more comfortable. My old goat-ropin' Uncle Bob always took a new pair of boots and had new half-soles put on 'em before he'd even wear 'em. Dress boots (my wife calls that an oxymoron) may have thinner soles, just like dress shoes.

Do you want to polish (calfskin/eel/lizard/ostrich) the boots or do you want an oiled/waxed leather (shoulder/bullhide/elephant) that will stand abuse and not "cut" or tear. Heel height is up to the individual as are the toe styles. Don't try to walk all day at an amusement park with tall, angle-heeled boots (backaroos). They ain't made for walking!! Their made for riding. If you've got big feet (>11) I wouldn't go for the pointy-toed boots. Your feet will look like supertankers, unless you're 6' 3".

Where you get them doesn't matter. Are you going for status statement or do you want a good boot? You can go to a custom shop, shop on-line (Rod's, Fort Western, Drysdale's, affordablewesternwear.com) or go to your local western store, etc..

The more rows of stitching on the boot tops determine the quality of the boot. This is not an urban legend. At least that's how it was way back when.

Last piece of advice - Never, never, ever wear your regular slacks or jeans with a pair of boots !!! If your slacks or jeans don't "puddle" on your boots, your pants are TOO short !!!

Good luck.

radman46

New in Town
Pants Length with Boots???

I agree regular length pants/slacks don't work with boots, but how or what do you do when the pants want to work down over the heel and drag the ground. I have a couple of pair of dress boots with no spur ridge and my pants drag. Is there a fix besides wearing shorter inseams or have new heels and spur ridge put on the boots?? Thanks for any help.

Too long, too short

I've had one or two pairs of slacks, mainly Dockers and khakis, re-hemmed. I remember back in the seventies we wore wide Levi's and the back edge would get all beat up and ragged, but those were jeans. My brother works for one of the "Majors" (major oil companies) and has had his suit pants tailored to wear with his nice lizard and ostrich dress boots. I was just making a point about length because I've seen guys wearing slacks/jeans and you could see not only the whole heel but the bottom of the boot shaft. If you cross your legs and see more than the bottom third of the boot shaft, the pants are too short.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Finally I bought them

I finally bought a pair of Lucchese boots today. I got them in beautiful, vintage downtown Pleasanton, CA. They fit like a glove. The leather is the softest I've ever felt on a boot. I went down there with the intention of buying a pair of Tony Lamas but the saleswoman brought those out in my size and I was hooked. I'll post pictures as soon as I can borrow someone's digital camera.:eusa_doh:

moustache

Practically Family
Ah yes:Boots!

I have been wearing cowboy boots for many years.Up until last year that is.My feet just can't take them after that many years.So now i wear only oxfords or brogues. But when i DID wear boots,i had 15 pair.Tony Lama,Nocona,Double J,Ariat and Justins.I grew up in Montana and learned about horses and country life fast.Boots were part of it.
They are not made in the US as often now.Mainly Mexico and overseas.But a good pair will still set you back anywhere from $100 to $400.They last a lifetime if looked after though.
Also,try ebay and Goodwill stores.

JD

radman46

New in Town
Question for Moustache

I've worn boots for years also. I also run/jog alot. What kind of problems to you run into that would not let you be able to wear your boots any longer. I have been having heal pain lately and I seems to go away when I don't wear boots every day. Just curious, thanks for the help.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Oh, Gentlemen, you are making me nostalgic.

I rode growning up, and wore work boots and show boots, and for a while worked in a Western store selling boots. (and everything else). I've worn Nacona (lovely), Dan Post --wore the sides out of them, goodness knows what else, and yup, Acmes too. Chinese Cowboy boots are an abomination.

They're steering you right: Fit differs with the last, but if you've got a perfect fit across the ball of your foot you're more than halfway there. If you're a walking man you need different boots than in the saddle.

I seem to remember being fussy about cottage shanks - Pegged cottage shanks if I recall correctly. Can anybody elaborate?

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
If you want to see the boots the movie stars wear these days, feast your eyes on these babies:

http://www.rocketbuster.com

Boots as works of art...

karol

PS -- most I drool over, some I wouldn't be caught dead in.

wow, these are gorgeous, well some of them. just as soon as i save up $5000 to replace my camera then i'll just have to get some of these cool boots.

rsg

JD and Radman - What kind of heels do you have on your boots? I once did Six Flags in Dallas with a pair of buckaroos with that sharp angled higher heel. By the end of the day I was beggin' for a bullet. Just about killed my poor dogs. I can walk and stand around in my low, flat heeled Justin ropers all day.

dr greg

One Too Many
in/out

I haven't worn cowboy boots since my beloved Justins were stolen some years back, but it's always puzzled me why there is so much ornamentation on the shaft when, as I understood it, only women wear the jeans tucked in in a social situation? I travelled through Texas many years ago and was assured that this was the case, and only 'candy-asses from Nashville' would wear them in such a manner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points