Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Those are fantastic!! Exactly the kind of stuff I love and the prime reason I don't own any exotics. When I start looking at gators or other high buck skins I start thinking for the same money I could go this route. The lower, almost block heels seem more consistent with boots of the late 50s or 60s that I've seen, so if they're 70s I'd guess very early. Really great colors on those.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Those are fantastic!! Exactly the kind of stuff I love and the prime reason I don't own any exotics. When I start looking at gators or other high buck skins I start thinking for the same money I could go this route. The lower, almost block heels seem more consistent with boots of the late 50s or 60s that I've seen, so if they're 70s I'd guess very early. Really great colors on those.

Dale, you're so right. Plus, you'll never find a pair of exotics that age, in that condition unless they've been hermetically sealed.

I haven't worn these is a few yrs now. Older boot sizes tend to run narrow but I used to wear these with dress socks and a squirt of food grade silicone spray. Boot socks would definitely be too thick. These boots are heavy and the heel caps are old & hard, so I stopped wearing them. I have a buckskin suede coat with ~12" long fringe like Dennis Hopper wore as Billy in Easy Rider. The boots always went well with it.

Hurricane, those are excellent. I've never seen a pair of Olsen-Stelzer's with that particular toe bug. I love boot mysteries.
Bama, I really don't know. As I said, I used to think they were made by Nocona. Acme made a lot of eagle boots but these are much better made than Acme's. They are a dead ringer for what Judi Buie was selling in the 70's but I just think they are older than that. If you have any ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

Aloha Ted

New in Town
They are a nice pair of vintage boots Hurricane Jack. That eagle design makes me nostalgic for the first pair of cowboy boots I ever bought.. When I first visited the States in 84/85 I bought a pair of J. Chisholm boots with an eagle design using three or four different colours if memory serves me. They were a beautiful boot, but in my naivety I got the wrong size and thus never really wore them at all, much to my disappointment. I ended up putting them on consignment in a vintage clothing store. because they were so beautiful I got a good price, but it still annoyed the hell out of me that I had to sell them. Trouble was, I didn't realise then that U.S. sizing was different to Australian sizing (which is like the UK system). So they were a size too small (and too narrow), and no amount of stretching etc. seemed to make them comfortable. When I told the guy in the shop they were too tight he said they'd stretch when I'd broken them in. I went along with him because they didn't have a larger size and I wanted them badly!
Fortunately the second pair of boots I bought on the same trip at the Tony Lama store in El Paso, some tan ones with lizard wingtips, fitted like a glove and I wore them the best part of twenty years before putting them out to pasture.
But gee, I still think of those Chisholms and how fancy they were. Ah well....

Aloha Ted

New in Town
Welcome, Aloha Ted. Glad to have you on board. You're right about there being quite a few pair in a shark of that size. I knew bull sharks would swim into brackish waters and sometimes travel far upriver. Here in the states they have been spotted as far up the Mississippi as Illinois. I got curious and did find there are actual river and lake species of sharks, I was really surprised to find this.
Thanks Bama, I appreciate your welcome. I'm still working out how to reply and stuff, because I've never belonged to a chat room before - more a lurker and a reader than a poster! By the way, that's incredible about bull sharks as high up as Illinois! I know they like estuaries and brackish water but that's a long way from salt water. Makes you think twice about swimming in a river anywhere, let alone the mouth.

Bama, I really don't know. As I said, I used to think they were made by Nocona. Acme made a lot of eagle boots but these are much better made than Acme's. They are a dead ringer for what Judi Buie was selling in the 70's but I just think they are older than that. If you have any ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

Hurricane, I'm uploading a couple pics from some mid-60's? Tony Lama's I have. The toe bug is very similar, though not exact. The tongue is quite different but I've seen early Tony Lama boots with a tongue very similar to what you've shown. Not sure if this helps or deepens the mystery.
CIMG0984.JPG
CIMG0985.JPG

Aloha Ted

New in Town
Bama- they are sharp- and look like new!! And an unusual toe bug. Looks like there's some very pretty stitching on the shaft too. And even the box looks in good nick too. They look like the kind of boots some country/rockabilly guy like Carl Smith would have worn on the Johnny cash Show in the sixties! How did you come to acquire them, if you don't mind me asking?

Whooooo sh!t Bama!!! Those are sweet. The toe bug, as well as the shape of the box, are so spot on, if you told me Hurricane Jack's eagle boots were vintage TL I wouldn't doubt it for a minute.

I meant the toe box, btw, not the cardboard box they came in. I would assume you knew that, but you know what sometimes happens when we assume things.

Bama- they are sharp- and look like new!! And an unusual toe bug. Looks like there's some very pretty stitching on the shaft too. And even the box looks in good nick too. They look like the kind of boots some country/rockabilly guy like Carl Smith would have worn on the Johnny cash Show in the sixties! How did you come to acquire them, if you don't mind me asking?

Aloha Ted, thank you sir. The boots I pictured are at least 50 yrs old. I found them through dumb luck and diligent use of too much time on my hands. The box they set upon belong to another pair of boots, only about 30 yrs old. When you mention Carl or Johnny, you mention heroes of mine. So good to have you here.

ingineer

One Too Many
Jack; Bama;
great boots, esp loved the Dunn's found his wiki, didn't know there was an equivalent of pre-CBS Fender boots.
i'm too soon old and too late smart. however found these to make it easier for this old man

Jack; Bama;
great boots, esp loved the Dunn's found his wiki, didn't know there was an equivalent of pre-CBS Fender boots.
i'm too soon old and too late smart. however found these to make it easier for this old man

Handy, dandy item, Richard. Nice blanket they're setting on.

Interesting tool. How does it work?

Joao, the straps on the sides of boots are called "pulls." For pulling the boots on. The implemements that Richard shows, are extensions that facilitate that pulling without having to bend over so far to do the job. The handles make it even easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch