Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

It's hard to answer your question because of the popularity of skinny jeans today. Skinny jeans would have to be worn tucked in the tops to show the tops off, like women usually do.

Regular cut jeans will go over the tops of cowboy boots just fine, and can give you that stacked jeans look around the boot tops that is popular. Depending on the jeans you may have to use some spray starch when ironing them to get that stacked look.

Boot cut jeans will give a more relaxed fit around the boot tops, and depending on the brand of jeans you may not even have to iron them for casual wear.

The important thing to remember when shopping for jeans to wear with boots is to add ~1" to the length of the inseam you normally wear. This will let the hem of the jeans come over the top of the heel in back. Otherwise the hem will hit upon the heel counter when standing, and will pull higher upon the boot tops when sitting with your legs crossed.

And don't forget to wear boot socks or maybe athletic socks with boots; no thin dress socks.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, the second seller obviously thinks they still command a high price.

I guess I'm somewhat conservative when it comes to western boots. I wouldn't wear that style.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The wife's boots. She's an Old Gringo fan

5f3f4f233adbef91ac56dc89ab1d5bfa.jpg

It's because they're not pointy enough.
[emoji12]
Truth be told, they look fairly 'broke in' by the previous owner, and the inside sole has probably become well contoured to someone else's foot. It's common with 2nd hand. I obviously have no problem with used boots (or hats, or cars, or whatever) I'm not flush enough to maintain my 'habit' otherwise, but for regular wear, especially workin' in, there's nothing can compare to new. That way they get broken in to the shape of your own foot. Granted, over time used ones will too, to an extent, but having the leather footbed replaced or at very least buying a little big enough to put insoles in 'em goes a long way. I don't want to come across as some kind of boot snob, but rather I'm speaking from experience of someone who spends long days on my feet, second hand are great for looking good on a Saturday night but there's no way I'd even consider it for the daily pounding.
Do your feet happen to have high arches? If so then you might want to stay away from old TL's if it really bothers you.

Ran across a pair of used Tony Lamas. They fit okay, but they're just not quite right.

75124d57633c60f75bdfb9b0be0c7a4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
It's because they're not pointy enough.
[emoji12]
Truth be told, they look fairly 'broke in' by the previous owner, and the inside sole has probably become well contoured to someone else's foot. It's common with 2nd hand. I obviously have no problem with used boots (or hats, or cars, or whatever) I'm not flush enough to maintain my 'habit' otherwise, but for regular wear, especially workin' in, there's nothing can compare to new. That way they get broken in to the shape of your own foot. Granted, over time used ones will too, to an extent, but having the leather footbed replaced or at very least buying a little big enough to put insoles in 'em goes a long way. I don't want to come across as some kind of boot snob, but rather I'm speaking from experience of someone who spends long days on my feet, second hand are great for looking good on a Saturday night but there's no way I'd even consider it for the daily pounding.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They're pretty broke in, but still solid. I was hoping they'd work for me, but they're an 11 1/2 D and I'm a 12. They fit close, but like you said I don't think they're going to work for everyday wearing. I'll probably toss them on eBay or sell them to someone that wants a pair just to wear to Frontier Days.

Ran across a pair of used Tony Lamas. They fit okay, but they're just not quite right.

I agree with dh66 in regards to buying used boots. There are a lot of similarities between used hats and boots. I made a lot of mistakes in both early on but with patience and diligence one can make some good buys. I've had more good luck with boots than bad. There's a big difference in worn and wore out and with some of the photos posted on auction sites, it's hard to tell the difference. The used boots I buy now I buy mostly because they aren't made any more or I couldn't afford otherwise.

The secondary nearly new & cowboy boots as art market took a step backwards & lost a good knowledgable person & cheerleader for boots when Boots Reitzel died.

hv8fmx.jpg

The secondary nearly new & cowboy boots as art market took a step backwards & lost a good knowledgable person & cheerleader for boots when Boots Reitzel died.

hv8fmx.jpg

HJ, you caught me a little off guard with this post. I had to go back and do a little research to remember where I had first read a reference to "Boots" and it was Mark Fletcher's cowboy boot blogspot, long dormant. His death was just prior to my interest in collecting. I was just a wearer of boots up to around that time.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
It's hard to answer your question because of the popularity of skinny jeans today. Skinny jeans would have to be worn tucked in the tops to show the tops off, like women usually do.

Regular cut jeans will go over the tops of cowboy boots just fine, and can give you that stacked jeans look around the boot tops that is popular. Depending on the jeans you may have to use some spray starch when ironing them to get that stacked look.

Boot cut jeans will give a more relaxed fit around the boot tops, and depending on the brand of jeans you may not even have to iron them for casual wear.

The important thing to remember when shopping for jeans to wear with boots is to add ~1" to the length of the inseam you normally wear. This will let the hem of the jeans come over the top of the heel in back. Otherwise the hem will hit upon the heel counter when standing, and will pull higher upon the boot tops when sitting with your legs crossed.

And don't forget to wear boot socks or maybe athletic socks with boots; no thin dress socks.

Always wool boot socks when wearing boots, even in summer.

Trust me, your feet will thank you later =).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21