Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Mercer

One of the Regulars
And don't forget to wear boot socks or maybe athletic socks with boots; no thin dress socks.

Funny you should mention athletic socks . . . although I wear boot socks with my boots, not too long ago (before I had discovered boot socks), I had a few pairs of old school long tube socks with stripes at the top that I wore exclusively with my boots. Hey, it was out of the ordinary, and no one had to know but me! ;-)

Now, just for sh**s and giggles, I'd like to ask, has anybody else on here ever tried wearing those long striped tube socks with boots, if only back when those socks were all the rage (70s-80s)?

I've been wearing cowboy boots for almost 50 years, and I never wear anything but dress socks with boots. Nothing blisters my feet faster than a thick pair of athletic socks in a pair of boots. Not to mention the thick socks make my feet sweaty and it's hard to get the boots on and off. Your mileage may vary.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Soon, very soon a pair of Arait pointy toe cowboy boots will be listed in the classified area - size 11.5. Much as I do like these russet brown, steerhide, simple cowboy boots, they just don't work right for my walking. I'll hold onto the size 11.5 black harness boots I reiceved as a gift 5 years ago, they are the only pull-on boots i have that seem to fit and "walk" well with my walking style. So keep a look out, Ill get them there soon.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I've been wearing cowboy boots for almost 50 years, and I never wear anything but dress socks with boots. Nothing blisters my feet faster than a thick pair of athletic socks in a pair of boots. Not to mention the thick socks make my feet sweaty and it's hard to get the boots on and off. Your mileage may vary.
Nice to know various experiences.

KURGAN

New in Town
So, reading a bit of this topic, i'm not the only cowboy boots lover.
My favourite are the Spanish made Sendra. I really love their aggressive style and are very well made. I have some pairs with snip toe (cuervo) and cuban heel and one with squared toe and west heel. I add the chain to all of them, very cool.
For rainy days i have a pair of classic Frye harness in a rare navy blue color. I'm lucky to have a small size (41) so i bought the female model that have an heel shape that i prefer. I really don't like the male mode with 90° heel.
I also have a pair of classic american style Boulet boots (from Canada). I like them too, but i prefer the more aggressive style of spanish\mexican boots.
I always wear boots with bootcut jeans or flares. With very wide flares\bell bottoms i prefer to wear the squared toe ones or engeneer boots.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Well, my feet are still firmly planted in midair. I'm torn between the Stockman work boot from Wilson Boots, or the multi stitch working boot from Paul Bond. The Wilson boots are about $90 cheaper, but I may add the bullhide foot which is an extra $75, so the price is pretty darn close. Paul Bond uses French wax calf for the foot, they claim it's the toughest leather. Wilson says bullhide is stronger.

Any opinions? I'm planning to try and call them both Monday to find out about wait times. I did attempt to glue the soles back together on my Ariats, it didn't work.

56, I own a pair made with wax calf and have owned a pair of bull hide. Both tough as dammit. Wax calf is gonna a be a smooth leather and treated to help resist barnyard acids and such. Bull hide will have a heavily textured grain and will stand up to about anything. It's gonna boil down a personal preference. I kinda like the wax calf because it's easier to brush and wash the grime off of smother leather. Neither will polish up to a shine.

About the only thing I own that's equal to either is elephant and hippo and their cost prohibitive.

Strictly for a work & casual boot I would prefer the waxed calf. They are tough but comfortable to wear. They clean up easy & are fine for casual wear besides work but as BB said above, waxed calf wasn't meant to shine up.

So I would prefer the Paul Bonds & of the two models they makes I prefer the pair with the multi stitch & window pulls. The stitching helps firm up the top a bit over a single stitch.

Kurgan, I liked the lines & styling of the older Sendra boots too but in the US all they seem to feature & offer now is the type of boot for young females made popular by performers such as Britney Spears & Taylor Swift.

I've never owned a pair to have more of an opinion.

I just don't get it. :eek:
image.jpeg

I remember denim boots being a thing back in the 70s. I guess this proves the rule.....those who forget history are damned to repeat it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, my feet are still firmly planted in midair. I'm torn between the Stockman work boot from Wilson Boots, or the multi stitch working boot from Paul Bond. The Wilson boots are about $90 cheaper, but I may add the bullhide foot which is an extra $75, so the price is pretty darn close. Paul Bond uses French wax calf for the foot, they claim it's the toughest leather. Wilson says bullhide is stronger.

Any opinions? I'm planning to try and call them both Monday to find out about wait times. I did attempt to glue the soles back together on my Ariats, it didn't work.

Glue is not going to work for a cowboy boot sole. Even the Barge Contact cement, too much flex and angles for glue to have enough to hold a sole in place. You can have them resoled for around $100.00...but most of the time the boots maybe did not cost too much past that amount to begin with?

Bullhide is a super strong leather. Oxhide is also a super strong leather. Nothing wrong with the calf leather either. It really would just be what you want to have as a finish and purpose of the boots and how much you want to have to do between the time you wear them and have them sitting.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I remember denim boots being a thing back in the 70s. I guess this proves the rule.....those who forget history are damned to repeat it.

Yes..also the old brown ruff surface suede boots, "Marlboro Man" style. Those are alright as long as you look like you are from Morocco and have a real thick black mustache!

I've posted these before but in my never ending quest to identify boot makers, I'm giving these a bump since we have some new members who are collectors or at least have an interest and maybe didn't see these way back in the thread. The only provenance I have on the boots is that I bought them from a lady in AZ. Her husband was a collector and they were brought to him by a friend who picked them up at a sale in OK. To me they look like a SW made boot in the style of Bond or something similar rather than an OK maker. They are fully wooden pegged rather than the brass/wood combo that many SW makers used.
CIMG1475.JPG
CIMG1476.JPG
CIMG1477.JPG
CIMG1478.JPG
CIMG1479.JPG

That name and phone point to a barber in Casper, Wyoming. He looks like a boot guy (whatever they look like). Perhaps you could reach out to him.

Bob,

You are the Internet sleuth. I've come up with dead ends all over the place with that name and number but never that one. I'll reach out.

Thanks, Greg

Damn fine looking pair, Hurricane Jack!

Wells, those DPs and a broke in pair of blue jeans oughta go together like pizza and beer.

Bama, the color of those mystery boots is outstanding. And it works really well with the yellow stitching. Good luck in your quest to ID them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana