Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowwboy Cussin...

emigran

Practically Family
Was watching a great old 40's Western with Randolph Scott and the fabulous toothless, bearded George Gabby Hayes... He certainly had his way with words... Cowboys in the GE Movies had a unique way of cussin out their enemies and loved ones. Which epithets were you fond of...??? Here's a couple from Gabby...

Blast yer hide, ya broken down Cayuse...!!!
Ya mangey no good yellar dawg...!!!
I'll skin ya alive... ya young whippersnapper...!!!
This is a gol-durned dad-bum outrage...!!!
He's got no more sense than a Blue -eyed Mule...!!!
Yer darnTootin...!!!

"You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens! (...) I'm gettin' tired of all your gas, now jerk that pistol and go to work! (...) I said throw down, boy!"

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Useful as a turtle on a fence post.

And, one of my favorites, son-of-a-gun stew (which really had a more profane name unless in mixed company), was also referred to as Gentleman from Odessa, the logic being that if he were anywhere else he'd be called a son of a... This from a historic cookbook, full of interviews, history, and the like.

frussell

One Too Many
If my grandfather held someone in really low regard, he called them a "peckerneck." He had some other off-color remarks, such as "your a@@ is full of blue mud," when being fed a line of b.s., and when he was chilly, it was "colder'n a well-digger's a@@." If he called you a "dude," he wasn't being friendly, but criticizing your horsemanship. I used to hear one old Wyoming cowboy call a beat-up, disreputable-looking hat a "go to hell hat," as in if you don't like it, you can go to hell. The other ones I know are not fit for a family-friendly forum.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter."
Gabby Johnson, Blazing Saddles
I love the spoof parody that is Blazing Saddles, Slim Pickens aand Harvey Korman, a great double act:
Hedley Lamarr: "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Taggart: "God darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore."

And in another encounter between Lamarr & Taggart:

Taggart: "What do you want me to do, sir?"
Hedley Lamarr: "I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger in the west. Take this down."
[Taggart looks for a pen and paper while Hedley talks]
Hedley Lamarr: "I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists."
Taggart: [finding pen and paper] Could you repeat that, sir?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Experiencing “cowwboy cussin” in films or radio is one thing.
Quite different when it’s aimed at you in person for real.:D

2zivmeo.png

On a weekend pass from Castle A.F.B. I decided to go to
San Francisco taking the backroads. Beautiful scenery.
But not familiar with the area, I got lost.

There was a woman with 3 kids riding a buck-board with a
old horse crossing the road. She had on a huge bonnet,
I couldn’t see her face.
I stopped to asked for directions.
Before I could finish my question, she brought a shotgun to her lap
and without even looking at me, in a very dead tone, said...

"ye best skedddle out of my property right now if you know whut’s good
fer ye...hear!”

The youngsters barefoot & not wearing much else just looked at me &
smiled. Almost as if telling me they felt sorry for my situation.
I didn’t say a word, it was chillingly spooky, I just rode away.

jake...
"yer in a heap of trouble now!" :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points