Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crochet anyone?

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'm a fiber artist. I knit, I crochet...I even spin my own yarn....although I've been rather lazy and working on other projects so I havn't done any for a while. That in my dogs seem to think that the wool roving used for spinning is a toy and that the spinning wheel is something to bark at and play with so that doesn't help either. I have a huge stack of vintage knitting and crochet books most of them are from the late 50's early 60s and 70s. I'll have to go through them and see if anything worthwhile is in there...

AllaboutEve said:
That's it! That's the cutest ever crochet doll outfit I have EVER seen. Which pattern did you get it from if you don't mind my asking, then I can look it out on the bay!

I love crochet, I was taught by a Maltese lady when I used to work as a receptionist. She was on the evening shifts with me and we used to take the opportunity of a quiet hour here and there.

I would definitely recommend getting someone to show you if possible, but I'm sure that you will be just fine if you persevere. Stick to something small and quick to make at first, in a double knit wool perhaps.

Good to have "hooked up" with some other crochet fans out there....excuse the truly terrible pun......lol lol

That is Mary Hoyer's Dolores.
You can get it here:
http://www.olddollpatterns.com/Knits1/Knit3.html

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
DSCF0904.jpg

redskate1.jpg

mhlouise2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow! Such talent!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I crochet too, but I'm notorious for never finishing a project! Then I forget what hook I was using, and where I was in the pattern, so nothing gets finished. :(
I really need to finish the afghan I started for my son, afterall, he's going to be 3. :eusa_doh:
I love making the little roses and such, so quick. I can actually finish those and stick them on things.
Thanks for the boost, I'll dig out my stuff and post pics. His blanket was going to be red, white and blue with stars, and I made a hat to go along.
Nikki

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
I crochet too, but I'm notorious for never finishing a project! Then I forget what hook I was using, and where I was in the pattern, so nothing gets finished. :(
I really need to finish the afghan I started for my son, afterall, he's going to be 3. :eusa_doh:
I love making the little roses and such, so quick. I can actually finish those and stick them on things.
Thanks for the boost, I'll dig out my stuff and post pics. His blanket was going to be red, white and blue with stars, and I made a hat to go along.
Nikki

That sounds adorable. If you do finish.....please show photos. I hope to learn to make the roses.

HoneyBee

New in Town
I crochet and knit too!! I love it, it's so relaxing. I haven't made anything too complex yet though - I taught myself out of books and usually stick to making scarves and afghans. Right now I'm crocheting an afghan for my sister out of multi-colored granny squares and it's turning out pretty nice - LOTS of squares to go, though!! And my other sister just found out she's pregnant so I'm looking forward to making things out of the super soft baby yarn out there.

Don't get discouraged when you start crocheting because your rows will be crooked and it will seem completely perplexing but just practice and once you get the basic stitch down, it's so easy. Reading patterns looks tricky too but you'll get it in no time.

Thanks for all the links posted here, some great resources!

zaika

One Too Many
i've never been into crocheted things (too many memories of neon orange pom pom slippers and those [alibet well made] toilet roll doll cozies), but, CherryRed, those doll dresses are AMAZING. :eusa_clap

i'm an avowed knitter (socks and Nordic hat/mittens are my thang). however...i have some hat/bag crochet patterns in a little book from 1944...so, i might have to break that out and take a stab at it.

zaika said:
i've never been into crocheted things (too many memories of neon orange pom pom slippers and those [alibet well made] toilet roll doll cozies), but, CherryRed, those doll dresses are AMAZING. :eusa_clap

i'm an avowed knitter (socks and Nordic hat/mittens are my thang). however...i have some hat/bag crochet patterns in a little book from 1944...so, i might have to break that out and take a stab at it.

Those would be great wouldn't they Fleur! lol

Zaika I always liked knitting better for those same 1970's flash backs as you. But my Granny could crochet and not knit so that is what I learned first.
The vintage crochet patterns are nothing like the bulky 70's stuff anyway so I am glad I crochet too.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Cherry Red those ARE adorable doll clothes! WOW! I love the red and blue one. I just don't know if I could use a tiny hook.. but then I never tried! [huh]
I went hunting for my projects and I'm so embarassed, I can't beleive how many. And I can't even find one of them, a "mile a minute" afghan in muted red/white/blue that was so cool, the red had speckles in it.
Anyhoo... Here's what I have for Nova's blanket so far. I have 14 peices made but need 20 more.:eek: And I couldn't decide if I wanted to make some of them red, or all blue with red/white boarder all around. Probably why I quit. Can't find the hat right now!
2219657482_639c6c87ca.jpg

2219659094_6e66894d3f.jpg

I love the buttery yellow of this one, and I love doing shell stiches. Don't know if I even have enough yarn to finish, I'm bad at that too.
2219664280_763c26df7c.jpg

2219665938_1f69a888e9.jpg

And this huge granny square, that I also don't have enough yarn for.. (back in the day when I was POOR and would only buy so much yarn at a time!)
I think I started this 15 years ago or so!
2219660718_4d62b7f487.jpg

2218869335_e6e339f9b3.jpg

Nikki

practice, practice!

I LOVE to crochet! I was taught it by a lovely "adopted grandmother" when i was about 16, and I haven't stopped since.

Vintage patterns are definitely a little more challenging, mostly because you need to work out what yarn to use!

I do everything from afghans to lace, and reading patterns is how I started, so it's not difficult for me. I really recommend taking a few lessons with someone who can teach you read a pattern - it looks harder than it really is.

Here are a few examples of things I've made - most of what I make gets given as gifts.

Baby blanket:

BabyBlanket3.jpg

Teapot doily in filet:

TeapotDoily.jpg

Blanket for my father in ripple stitch:

Dadsblanket.jpg

Snoods from vintage pattern in various colors:

SnoodsontheLine3.jpg

DelftBlueWoolEasesidesmall.jpg

DelftBlueWoolEasebacksmall.jpg

greensweaterandsnood.jpg

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Hamilton Honey and Ohairas.....lovely photos!!!!!!

I was able to get my first crochet hooks and some yarn this weekend!!! I'll hopefully be practicing when I get home tonight if I'm not too sleepy. I'm really excited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112