Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crochet anyone?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok girls, I can't thank you enough for getting me jazzed about crocheting again! My SIL's baby shower is this weekend. I had an afghan I never finished because I got way off on my stitching. I didn't have time to start one from scratch, so I dug it out and salvaged it. The one side still has way too many stiches, but I did one border around and tried to decrease the worst side. Then added three more colored borders. Threw a shell border on to make it seem more like it's *supposed* to be ruffled. I don't think anyone would know how jacked up it really is unless they crochet. I'm quite pleased with the results actually, woohoo!

Her nursery is going to be turtle themed. I chose the colors from the bedding. I wanted a yellow, but there wasn't a good shade in the yarn I was using. I totally winged the turtle, he's by no means perfect but I think he's pretty cute!

The hat was something I must have started trying to get my stitches and gauges right. I had this circle pot-holder looking thing. So I took that and made a barrett out of it.
Here's the set! I took more pics but I can't load them to flickr right now or SIL will see them, and photobucket takes forever to load.
Nikki
HPIM2528.jpg
[/IMG]
HPIM2531.jpg
[/IMG]
The hat is too big for the doll,
HPIM2523.jpg
[/IMG]

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Ohairas~lol You crack me up! hee hee!! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the turtles!! I collect them, and now I am wishing I was smart enough to do turtles for Natty's shower! The afghan and hat are super cute!!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Gee thanks girls! This is only second afghan I've ever "'finished", lol...
I don't think I'm talented, I was just determined this time, ha!
The flowers are so fun and easy, I just want to make them and stick them on everything now, lol!
Nikki

StellaLuna

New in Town
Kudos to Turtles!

"Here's the set! I took more pics but I can't load them to flickr right now or SIL will see them, and photobucket takes forever to load.
Nikki"
HPIM2523.jpg
[/IMG][/QUOTE]

WoW Nikki! This set is really gorgeous! I'm sure your SIL is going to treasure it! :D

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
RetroBabydoll said:
I'm sooooo curious.......I want to know. Let us know when you're able to. Don't want you to get in trouble.

Just to go back a few pages... the items I knitted are going to be used as props in the new Kevin Smith movie that just wrapped up filming here in town. One of the characters is a really bad knitter and she wears really badly knitted clothing and she has really bad knitting all over her place. In particular, look for a really ugly black & gold Steelers afghan... lol

My friend who worked on the film also put all of our names on name tags that people wear in a school reunion scene. lol

leaette

A-List Customer
bebop, that is really funny. i didn't know that they were filming a movie in town. can you say what the movie title is?

and ohairas, that is a really cute baby set. i love the turtle. so innocent looking. i love the color combo too.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
A bit of back story: My mom had a stroke 3 1/2 years ago that left her right hand very weak. She wants to get back to crocheting/crafting, but won't be able to do it the way that she used to do it. I'm looking for ideas or methods to help her get her craft on....

Has anyone tried to left hand crochet? Or crochet with their non-dominant hand? How difficult was it to learn?

Do you know of any other hand crafts that could be done mostly by one hand? Have any of you tried those plastic looms that make crochet-like products?

Thanks. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:
A bit of back story: My mom had a stroke 3 1/2 years ago that left her right hand very weak. She wants to get back to crocheting/crafting, but won't be able to do it the way that she used to do it. I'm looking for ideas or methods to help her get her craft on....

Has anyone tried to left hand crochet? Or crochet with their non-dominant hand? How difficult was it to learn?

Do you know of any other hand crafts that could be done mostly by one hand? Have any of you tried those plastic looms that make crochet-like products?

A slightly different grip might help.....

I got my mom this set which lets you hold the hooks in multiple different ways....

http://www.createforless.com/Provo+Crochet+Hook+Set+F-K+with+Ergonomic+Handle/pid128606.aspx

and it has helped her a lot...not quite the -same- problem...but with how the handle is designed..she might not have to exert as much to just hold on to the handle.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Babydoll said:

I've heard of lefties using mirrors to learn how to crochet/knit because all of the instructions are for righties. If you looked at the mirror image of your hands (if you are a leftie), it looks like you are a rightie. I hope that makes sense. She might be able to something similar to teach herself to crochet with her left hand.

A plastic knitting loom might work out really well for her. You just use a hook that you hold in one hand and pull loops of yarn through the loops that are already on the loom. I've seen people on Craftster.com make a lot of things from the Knifty Knitter looms that they sell at JoAnn Fabrics.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
She's naturally left-handed when she writes, but was taught to use her right as her dominant for hand-work such as crochet and embroidery because that's how her mom (Grannie) did it.

Maybe I'll get her a loom and see if we can figure it out together. Once she gets comfortable with holding the hook in her left hand, we might venture to regular crochet. Her goal is to be able to make grannie squares that she can stitch together into afghans and give to charity. She wants this so much (to give her something to do, and feel like she's contributing to "society"), that I'd do just about anything to make it happen for her.

The mirror idea is interesting. Perhaps if I sat across from her (in a mirror position), and did it right-handed, she could look at the motions I'm doing and try it with her left.

I know that she's going to need a bigger hook to start with. None of her tiny lace hooks for now!

As for yarn, do you think that plain yarn or variegated would be visually easier for her to work with?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
A slightly different grip might help.....

I got my mom this set which lets you hold the hooks in multiple different ways....

http://www.createforless.com/Provo+Crochet+Hook+Set+F-K+with+Ergonomic+Handle/pid128606.aspx

and it has helped her a lot...not quite the -same- problem...but with how the handle is designed..she might not have to exert as much to just hold on to the handle.

It almost looks like a latch hook hook. That's kinda cool! I wonder how it would work for a leftie.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:
It almost looks like a latch hook hook. That's kinda cool! I wonder how it would work for a leftie.

My mom is a leftie....and she hasn't told me it was an issue.....I will ask her again on the phone today and see...

There are actually two handles in the set...so it is pretty variable...and since it has multiple hook sizes..

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:
Does she crochet leftie, or rightie? My mom learned rightie, so this might be a process of retraining her brain to do it opposite.

:)

Fairly sure she crochets left handed, because it took us -years- to teach me because I am right handed and trying to learn from her was difficult.

So as far as the -handle- goes, it's usable by either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112