Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crofut & Knapp and the 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon...

kaosharper1

One Too Many
ScottF said:
It almost looks like the artist used a still from this movie to do the artwork.

We really need to have a 'Saratoga Bash' contest.

The still from the movie doesn't looke nearly as clean as in the poster. I think we'd be hard put to do that.

But I'm going to try tonight. I have a vintage Dobbs 20 with very thin but firm felt where it might work (it also has a 6" crown and 2 1/4" brim), or at least look like the still. It could be in the poster you'd need a heavier felt that would be molded. I have to admit I think the bash looks a little strange.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
A happy coincidence: I'm putting a brushed felt C & K from the '30s on eBay tonight. Size 7 1/4.

I'll be watching for it -- along with 1,000 other folks.:(

Brad

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Saratoga.jpg

kaosharper1 said:
The still from the movie doesn't looke nearly as clean as in the poster. I think we'd be hard put to do that.

But I'm going to try tonight. I have a vintage Dobbs 20 with very thin but firm felt where it might work (it also has a 6" crown and 2 1/4" brim), or at least look like the still. It could be in the poster you'd need a heavier felt that would be molded. I have to admit I think the bash looks a little strange.

With all respect, I believe we're over-thinking this a little. I really suspect it's just a medium to light weight very soft, very vintage felt crown, with side dents angled a bit toward the front, and *wham!* you smack it with your hand on the rear quarter, and there ya go.

I think the general idea was to look unplanned, haphazard, casual, devil-may-care, rakish. If you work too hard on this, you might miss the point! From C&K's viewpoint, it might maybe have been a way of advertising how malleable and superior their felt was.

As a side point, I'm old enough to remember the Saturday Evening Post. My parents subscribed to it. Great short stories that I still recall. They were transitioning from illustrations to photos during that time, but still had great paintings, drawings and even ads. Print media are having a hard go of it now for good reasons, but if anything could get a niche audience, I think it would be something like SEP. I miss it.

- Bill

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Today, about three hours ago.

Here's the text that arrived via email notification:

----------

Best bet for OTR clothes might be to buy a Short and a Regular (or perhaps a Regular and a Long) of the same suit, then wear the longer trousers with the shorter coat. Maybe even take the short trou and have them made into a vest. :D

It won't be a custom suit, certainly, but at least you have some choice over the basic look of the thing. Sending a tailor illustrations to copy is likely make both of you unhappy.

----------

Oh yes...now I recall. That was sent automatically because you subscribed to the thread. I deleted it later because I felt it was taking us off the topic of the Hats area - and also because it's an untested theory. I haven't actually done it. :eek:

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Saratoga

I couldn't get the Saratoga from the Ad, but I think I did get close to the still from the movie:

photo.jpg

And my Art Fawcett Jazzman with the brim from the Rudswick:

photo1.jpg

duggap

Banned
kaosharper1 said:
I couldn't get the Saratoga from the Ad, but I think I did get close to the still from the movie:

photo.jpg

And my Art Fawcett Jazzman with the brim from the Rudswick:

photo1.jpg
Kao, your Jazzman looks as good as mine does. That is a fun hat to wear, don't you think. I got mine in a silverbelly and love it.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
duggap said:
Kao, your Jazzman looks as good as mine does. That is a fun hat to wear, don't you think. I got mine in a silverbelly and love it.

I'm really fond of mine too. The brim was evidently an accident, but it made the hat even more distinctive.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Kaosharper, you look like you stepped out of those movie stills!
Way to go!
Only I don't think they had cameras in phones back then.
Maybe it's a cigarette case.

- Bill

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think you got the look downpat, kaosharper1.:eusa_clap That Saratoga is really hard to get, unless the felt is really thin. I should dig out my old Borsalino and try it.

Marc, I've bookmarked your auctions, and am anxiously awaiting. That's a beautiful C&K.

Brad

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
This one comes with a backbow. Note the 'kinked' and back-tilt crown.

3859307966_cb0182641d_o.jpg

3859307968_03fd74e727_o.jpg

3859307970_2b6cb7f7d2_o.jpg

3859307978_2d9092a673_o.jpg

3859317816_2e9f5156f8_o.jpg

OK, I'd just LOVE to know how you guys get those still pictures out of a movie. Is there a computer program that freezes the movie and downloads the still to your computer? I'd love to be able to do this with Bogart's Tokyo Joe.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Yep. In fact, there are many to choose from. Can anybody here recommend an especially good one?

If your playing the DVD thru your computer, PowerDVD has a screen capture.

B

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
If your playing the DVD thru your computer, PowerDVD has a screen capture.

B
Is PowerDVD part of Windows XP? Or is it something I need to find and download? And thanks to both of you for addressing this issue for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points