Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cures for the Ailments of Yesteryear

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
On garlic, a lot of the effectiveness, as noted by another poster, is the smell--enough of it and most people, period, will stay away. (Keep the carriers away, you keep the disease away.)

Downside is, it's also a real mood-killer when with that special someone...

Eat it together and none of you will notice! :D

On the other hand, it may be done deliberately :whistling

Again on garlic: It is also a perfect way of keeping warm. When I lived in Switzerland it used to bridge the lack of heating, together with red wine :rolleyes:

Foofoogal

Banned
Neti pot
-------------
I have discovered this and it definitely works if you use it early on with a cold or sinus problem.

This thread is funny.

Some others I have actually seen used was a spider web for bleeding I think and coal oil for cuts.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Which is itself a "survival food", especially around radiation.:D

'... the effects of resveratrol, an antioxidant found in grapes and red wine, against UV radiation exposure and resveratrol's role as a sensitizer to enhance the impact of radiation treatment ..... Each of the major polyphenols of red wine (resveratrol, quercetin, and catechin) have been shown to have anticancer properties.

I speed it up by drinking Port instead :p

Learning every day .... no more glowing in the dark! :D

Foofoogal said:
Some others I have actually seen used was a spider web for bleeding I think

My imagination runs wild!! :eek:

Foofoogal said:
and coal oil for cuts.
Very interesting, first time I heard of this.

Talking Coal ...
My mother, my grandmother and her mother, they all had cravings for charcoal (after burning wood, obviously :D) while pregnant. Not quite sure what to make of it in relation to my family ( lol ) ... but apparently its good for you:

'... activated charcoal is commonly used in emergency treatment for specific kinds of poisonings and drug overdoses to keep the poison from being absorbed from the stomach into the body. Charcoal is also used to cure gas/flatulence and help an upset stomach. A natural deodorant and disinfectant, Activated Charcoal is one of the finest absorptive and adsorptive agents known.'

Cricket

Practically Family
I am not sure if it is an old Southern thing or what, but my grandparents' cure for anything usually involved alcohol. lol

Many sore throats, coughs, etc. would be cured by a teaspoon of some brew they worked up. A jug of whiskey would have a peppermint placed inside to soak for months, days, whatever.

Upset stomachs could be soothed with a teaspoon of honey and vinegar.

And most nose issues would call for a chest full of Vicks, and foots lathered with it covered by socks. And of course, the trusty humidifier.

Derek WC

Banned
Interesting, Cricket. I know that in the northern mid-west states they use, or at least used to use, alcohol to treat illness.

Speaking of honey, my grandma always gives me a tablespoon or so of honey and lemon to sooth a sore throat and help stop coughing.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071224233736AAxAfs4
-----------------
Found this about the spider webs. My moms family was from France originally?
I have no idea. Sounds like a prebandaid method.

I heard the Romans used to use spiders webs too

Actually warm honey and lemon is great for sore throats, we use that in our house. Or a hot toddy of some description is pretty good for colds and the like, warm whisky and ginger is a belter, if anything it just knocks me out enough to sleep well, which is part and parcel of speedy recovery. :)

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Foofoogal said:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071224233736AAxAfs4
-----------------
Found this about the spider webs. My moms family was from France originally?
I have no idea. Sounds like a prebandaid method.

Brilliant!

I live in a house that is over 300 years of age and it is full of nicks and crannies, therefore each room has at least 4 spiders.

I shall have a talk with them tonight: they better had get busy from now on so I can wave goodbye to savlon and germoline. :D

Miss sofia said:
Or a hot toddy of some description is pretty good for colds and the like, warm whisky and ginger is a belter, if anything it just knocks me out enough to sleep well, which is part and parcel of speedy recovery.

I do love how there was always some form of alcohol involved in curing certain troubles. Just goes to show why I am rarely ill lol

Cricket

Practically Family
Derek WC said:
Interesting, Cricket. I know that in the northern mid-west states they use, or at least used to use, alcohol to treat illness.

Speaking of honey, my grandma always gives me a tablespoon or so of honey and lemon to sooth a sore throat and help stop coughing.

I think there is just something about honey. Many home remedies would include honey with some other substance to treat just about anything.
I also remember being told that honey applied to cleaned wounds prevented infection. Honey apparently was also a way to cope with sleeping problems.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Cricket said:
I think there is just something about honey. Many home remedies would include honey with some other substance to treat just about anything.
I also remember being told that honey applied to cleaned wounds prevented infection. Honey apparently was also a way to cope with sleeping problems.

I've heard it's also good for diabetic skin ulcers but I'm not in the medical field. I'd try it if I had to though

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Certain types of honey are actually a mild antiseptic. I think that's why it was used a lot in early medicine.

Rubbing butter on burns? That sounds like something my darling, aged grandmother would say! And she's nearly 100!

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
If you burn yourself, put butter on it.

Actually, anything greasy put on a burn will keep the heat in and makes it worse. My grandmother used to tell me to do put butter on burns until my grandfather (who was a blacksmith) told her to stop it!

Slugs:
When a child, I had a wartz on the underneath of my big toe. My grandmother (again!) used to put a slug on it. And oddly enough, the wartz eventually disappeared. :eek:

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually, anything greasy put on a burn will keep the heat in and makes it worse. My grandmother used to tell me to do put butter on burns until my grandfather (who was a blacksmith) told her to stop it!

I know it doesn't actually do anything antiseptic -- but I always found it made it taste better when you suck on the burned place to try and stanch the pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112