Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cute Vintage-y Shoes

fgradowski

One of the Regulars
I'm looking at dancestore.com. I'm wondering if anyone has purchased from them or knows if these shoes are more comfortable because they are made for dance.
I go to school at a large university. My walks to class are at least 20 minutes one way. I love fancy shoes and have beat up and abused my feet by walking the miles to class and back in them. Just wondering if some dance shoes could fix this problem. I often blister on the back of my heel and on my pinky toes.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I'm looking at dancestore.com. I'm wondering if anyone has purchased from them or knows if these shoes are more comfortable because they are made for dance.
I go to school at a large university. My walks to class are at least 20 minutes one way. I love fancy shoes and have beat up and abused my feet by walking the miles to class and back in them. Just wondering if some dance shoes could fix this problem. I often blister on the back of my heel and on my pinky toes.

You'll wear them out in no time. Dance shoes have suede soles, they're meant to be used on a dance floor, not as walking shoe. You could get them re soled, but even so they won't hold up very well.

Last edited:

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
I just bought those suede pumps in black and burgundy. A really nice 40s style shoe - and I desperately needed a replacement for my favourite Clarks "Concert Ticket" which are falling apart. The Gadea pumps aren't quite as comfy, at least not yet, but I can see myself wearing them a lot for autumn. I might need some flower or bow shoe clips to go with them, any recommendations for Europe?

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
I just got a great pair of sturdy oxfords. They are the Ugg Caelyn in chocolate. Crepe sole, leather shoe and there is sheepskin on the footbed under the toe area which helps keep my feet toasty. I've had them for about a month. They are breaking in well, the leather has some darker areas where the leather was tinted that make them look older and more vintage from the start. Comfortable enough to wear all day and walk to and from the bus.

I like them so much I might buy the black version as well before they are gone.

Just thought I'd share.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Just found an amazing vendor who will be making me a pair of 1940s dress oxfords (also known as ties). I'm incredibly excited but only have until tomorrow to decide on colour choices. I usually wear brown shoes as they seem a little softer to me than stark black.

Any advice from you? Would one be more "period correct?"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brown and black were equally popular and equally common -- the browns tended to be more toward russet than a mud-brown, and went well with clothing featuring a lot of reds and greens. I prefer brown shoes myself, and usually only wear black when I'm wearing something tending toward dark blue or grey.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Brown and black were equally popular and equally common -- the browns tended to be more toward russet than a mud-brown, and went well with clothing featuring a lot of reds and greens. I prefer brown shoes myself, and usually only wear black when I'm wearing something tending toward dark blue or grey.

Thanks, Lizzie!

You don't happen to have any photos I could send to him for this colour? I think brown is definitely the way to go.

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
I found some good vintage-look shoes at, of all places, Aerosoles.

CARICATUR~612~AV1~508PX.JPG

and

ARISTOCRA~345~AV1~508PX.JPG

Both are on sale. There's also a great pair of pumps/court shoes too:

IN-SHAPE~293~AV1~508PX.JPG

I bought the first two designs and I can't wait for them to arrive.

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
A shoemaking student of mine with a pair of 1950 pattern shoes she made.
Sierrasfinishedheelsheels16.jpg

A pair I made for my wife 1930s pattern
productionmodels035.jpg

Another pair made for her birthday
Annesbirthdayshoes1.jpg

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Yes. Most of the womans are not on the website. But will be soon and we are trying lots of new patterns all the time. Finding shapely lasts in 1.5 and 2.5 inch heels has been tough as the industry has been focused on 4 inch spikes and platforms for decades. But we dig them up as we can.

fgradowski

One of the Regulars
@Tuesday_Next: I have a cute pair of vintage-y shoes from Aerosoles! They're black velvet with satin laces. Very comfy; reasonable heel and whatever that padding is that's inside of their shoes!

@Bigshoe: I have often wondered how the heck shoes are made. Most are made on machines, but yours are handmade, correct? I am just baffled by that! I wouldn't mind taking a 'class' over it one day.

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
I do use sewing machines and have machinery to make hundreds of pairs but we mostly make them one at a time to order. I have no desire to go back into mass production. One of the great joys I have lately is to teach. The best students are costume and theater people.

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
145295_6_1400x1400.jpg

Thanks to Cyber Monday, and (sadly) a trip I was planning on being cancelled, I purchased the Womens Investor Oxford by Dr Scholl's at Payless. After reviews I've read, I'm hopeful that this will be a nice purchase as someone on a tight budget.

As for those posted by BigShoe, I'm a bit green with envy over the skill. Shoe-making has fascinated me for years.

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
-Edit- I thought I'd update my post. The shoe I'd bought, called Comfort Plus by Predictions, is actually pretty nice for being a base price of $35. As long as you're careful with them (they do scuff) it'll last. They're pretty comfortable. After testing them out all day, having driven 3 hours away to visit family, stand a lot, and drive home, I was pleasantly surprised. My feet didn't kill me. They're kind of roomy if you typically buy half-sizes, so wear thicker socks and add those back-of-ankle stick-on cushions. The heel gives off a solid sound when you walk, so you can't sneak up on anyone. Overall I'm pretty happy with them. I'm going to look for more shoes by this brand. I refuse to buy from Payless' website now, though. I paid for expedited shipping and they gave me ground. Really, guys? Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot