Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D. Lewis, white summer flight suit?

Flieger

Practically Family
Been looking for a repro of this one but I've come up dry so far. Any hints?

Flying-DLewis-1939-1.jpg

/F

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Not sure about the availability of particular items, but I can back up BT's statement about Pegasus, having bought items from him before. He's skilled, highly knowledgeable, cares about what he does and uses high-quality materials. And he's an interesting, engaging chap to talk to.

Certainly worth asking...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...and some judicious GooGling confirmed my suspicions, that, YES,
Pegasus HAS definitely made the Prestige suit before.

...and YES again, Sanjay Suri, of Replicaters, is typically agreeable and accommodating, via email, Sir, yes Sir.... best avoided if Mr. Pegasus,
Steve Kiddle can do you a set, whilst engaging you in the realities of repro making.

B
T

Pip

A-List Customer
Whole heartedly agree on the Pegasus vote.

Steve made mine and I'm extremely happy with it. Its also worth noting he does them in black/dark blue.

Not the world's best photo as it has a Mae West over the top...

Goodwood083-1.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Other than for some Hollywood musical with cotton clouds and a rhinestone plane, what could have been the possible purpose of a white flightsuit? Wasn't khaki just fine for summer, and much more suited to wartime?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Nope - black or blue was OK for some, but for others it had to be white. Never khaki - an army colour until much later in the war. The name tells you why - prestige suit. It went with Brylcreem. White overalls were what top racing car and speedboat drivers wore at the time.

Pip

A-List Customer
Mr Johnson's quite right here.

The prestige suit is a predominantly pre-war and very early war item. It was never really intended to do anything other than protect the Service Dress uniform from wear and tear experienced whilst in/around aircraft.

They also contributed greatly to the "knights of the sky" image crafted during the 1930's, being seen at large airpower displays and airshows.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes H, forgive me, but I come from a country where the Army had the Air Force until very, very late in the day. The USAF didn't even get their blues till they'd been a separate service for 5 years or so.

The air show theory makes perfect sense. After all, what purpose did any combat air arm have during the 30s besides public service and/or public spectacle?

I still can't see anybody below the rank of Col. Roscoe Turner ever wearing a white flightsuit, but what a lovely sight it must have been.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Quite right. Prestige suits relate to the pre-war period when the boundaries between military and sport flying were much more vague than they became in war time. As has been pointed out, such suits were regarded more as overalls than flying suits and do give an image of doing a quick open cockpit display before peeling off and popping into the refreshment tent in pristine service dress.

When war broke out (that could almost become a catch phrase) wearing a prestige suit on active service marked out the 'career' flyers from the HO (hostilities only) or Reservists.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just a couple of pics from the good ol' days.

news-graphics-2007-_448049a.jpg

battlebrit250806_600x452.jpg

BattleofBritain_242sqdn.gif

Quite a classy suite.

P.S. Also remember a great photo with some 43 Squadron pilots taken pre-war. Just can't find it now.

Found it:

43squadron001.jpg

Flieger

Practically Family
Nah, sorry Spitfire. At the prices the charge for repros I kind of lost interest. :eek: But this thread helped me with info on how to make a pilot for my prototype Spitfire project. :eusa_clap

/F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana