Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Damaged dishes

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, you experts on everything under the sun, how about this? I have a couple of salad plates from the SS France, (now twice as valuable because of the present demolition of the great ship), one of which got put through the dish washer inadvertantly many years ago. The result was the common phenomenon of the paint starting to dissolve. Does anyone know how to stabilise this? I don't use the plate at all any more, because just washing in the sink makes the paint run. Any suggestions? Can I slap on another layer of glaze and put it in a kiln?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
can you slap on another coat of glaze - probably not. You might try calling a few ceramics shops and see if they know anything or anyone who does china painting. That might be the best route. It sounds like china painting or an overglaze - the problem with those is they could burn off completely at the temperature needed for glaze firing. I know something about pottery and earthenware and stoneware, and the different glazes, but beyond that, it's hard to say.

It sounds strange, to me, because porcelain used on ships, in hotels, etc. is usually made for pretty heavy use and more heavy-duty, frequent runs through commercial dishwashers. For something to run from a run through a home dishwasher, which isn't nearly as rough a treatment as it would normally get, seems odd. Home dishwaster detergent (Cascade, Electrosol, etc.) is stronger than home dishwashing liquids (Joy, Ivory, etc.) but it's only in contact with the dishes a fairly short time - dishwashing liquids you usually let the dishes soak in a bit.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here it is. I have one other, with surface intact, but with a large crack. Drat! Given what's happening to the SS France as we speak, uhhh . . . errr . . . type, I'm really glad I have it.
Damageddish.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've used this restorer a few times and they would certainly be up to the task of most any repair/restoration job but they're not inexpensive. Their site offers a home restoration kit with which I've no experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana