Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darcy detachable collars - Washable Vs. Starched?

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I am trying to decide on weather I should purchase the Darcy washable collar or the Darcy traditional starched collar. Ignoring the added convenience of the washable collar for a moment I was wondering how the two visually compare and how they feel? Does the washable version look/feel like a starched collar, or is there a noticeable difference in person.
http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/collars.html
Thank you,
Mike

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I only have the washable collars so I can't give you a comparison, but the washable collars look very good. I would guess that they may be a little less stiff, hence, a little more comfortable. You should really not discount the fact that here in America we don't have companies to launder and starch the traditional collars.

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
I too have two of the washable collars, I'm very pleased with them. As to the stiffness of them, you have to put your tie under the collar before attaching it to the shirt as you can't fold the collar down after it's attached so that's a measure of how stiff it is.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I only have the traditional starched ones, and this isn't really your question, but I have found that in dealing with the traditional ones, it seems to be more cost-efficient to just buy new ones rather than send them to Barker's to be laundered and re-starched.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Thanks all, I have decided on the washable collar after reading your comments. :)

I've starched traditional collars in the past with decent results, but its very time consuming and I usually make a big mess! :eeek: I like the idea of these washable yet stiff versions.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Thanks all, I have decided on the washable collar after reading your comments. :)

I've starched traditional collars in the past with decent results, but its very time consuming and I usually make a big mess! :eeek: I like the idea of these washable yet stiff versions.

FWIW.... I've not yet dabbled with their separate collars, but I do have one of Darcy's washable evening shirts. This one:

http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/shirts/sh2291.html

sh2291.jpg

Looks great every time, and come outs of the washing machine as stiff as it went in. It's never been queried in the circles I move in (where a lot of folks really taked their white tie seriously and go full Edwardian or Victorian with it). I'd love to use the full on 'real thing', but I just can't justify the expense and hassle of going to Barkers every time I wear a shirt. I've also worn this one with black tie, great for a sort of twenties look, especially paired with a white tie waistcoat.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Looks great every time, and come outs of the washing machine as stiff as it went in. It's never been queried in the circles I move in (where a lot of folks really taked their white tie seriously and go full Edwardian or Victorian with it). I'd love to use the full on 'real thing', but I just can't justify the expense and hassle of going to Barkers every time I wear a shirt. I've also worn this one with black tie, great for a sort of twenties look, especially paired with a white tie waistcoat.

I have that shirt too and several of Darcy's collars and I agree that they are excellent.

I've also worn this one with black tie, great for a sort of twenties look, especially paired with a white tie waistcoat.

Agreed - I sometimes do that.

shirt.JPG

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
FWIW.... I've not yet dabbled with their separate collars, but I do have one of Darcy's washable evening shirts. This one:

http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/shirts/sh2291.html

sh2291.jpg

Wow that shirt has such clean lines to how it is made. Very nice.

BruSwain

New in Town
I am trying to decide on weather I should purchase the Darcy washable collar or the Darcy traditional starched collar. Ignoring the added convenience of the washable collar for a moment I was wondering how the two visually compare and how they feel? Does the washable version look/feel like a starched collar, or is there a noticeable difference in person.
http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/collars.html
Thank you,
Mike

I have both starched and permanent Darcy collars. The latter haven't a smooth and shiny surface like the former, and are somewhat like pinpoint oxford in finish.

The permanent collars go into the washing machine but I air dry them. I find after washing they're not as stiff as I'd prefer so I do starch them (even though Darcy says not to), either by dipping in or spraying on liquid starch (e.g., Sta-Flo). The permanent collars are wrinkle-free right out of the washer and are WAY easier to iron whether starched or not.

I agree with those who say home-starching for stiff collars is a real pain. It's not impossible, but you'll never get the smooth, shiny finish of a new or properly laundered collar.

I'll have some collars (different brand) coming from the U.K. soon and will report on them here.

Cheers,
Bruce

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
Bruce,
I am looking forward to your opinion on other brands of collars. I love the Darcy ones, but would like a few more options regarding size, height and shape if possible.

I have both starched and permanent Darcy collars. The latter haven't a smooth and shiny surface like the former, and are somewhat like pinpoint oxford in finish.

The permanent collars go into the washing machine but I air dry them. I find after washing they're not as stiff as I'd prefer so I do starch them (even though Darcy says not to), either by dipping in or spraying on liquid starch (e.g., Sta-Flo). The permanent collars are wrinkle-free right out of the washer and are WAY easier to iron whether starched or not.

I agree with those who say home-starching for stiff collars is a real pain. It's not impossible, but you'll never get the smooth, shiny finish of a new or properly laundered collar.

I'll have some collars (different brand) coming from the U.K. soon and will report on them here.

Cheers,
Bruce

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars

Cheers,
Bruce

Thanks Bruce, good info regarding the finish too as I do like that smooth shiny surface on a freshly starched collar! I had actually changed my mind after posting my last comment and ended up buying the traditional starched collars anyway. I bought their Double Round and Ex High Double "Casual" collar which arrived in the mail yesterday. They are very nice, I am quite pleased! :D

PS- Through trial and error I've found a good technique for home-starching collars to get a nice shine using just corn starch (no wax or soap). Next time I need to starch one I will make a How-To video to share my technique here.

Last edited:

BruSwain

New in Town
Thanks Bruce, good info regarding the finish too as I do like that smooth shiny surface on a freshly starched collar! I had actually changed my mind after posting my last comment and ended up buying the traditional starched collars anyway. I bought their Double Round and Ex High Double "Casual" collar which arrived in the mail yesterday. They are very nice, I am quite pleased! :D

PS- Through trial and error I've found a good technique for home-starching collars to get a nice shine using just corn starch (no wax or soap). Next time I need to starch one I will make a How-To video to share my technique here.

Yes! Please do share your technique, thanks, but...

I've reached a point of agreement with the gentleman above who says it's probably best to toss a soiled collar. For years I bought vintage collars on eBay and accumulated several hundred of them. Some never survived washing or bleaching in the first place, but more to the point the various methods I tried and equipment used to starch and iron them rarely met with success (this from boiling my own batches of powdered starch to buying a small steam press).

Last year I blew almost $200 on collars made by a custom shirt-maker after I sent them a pattern for the style I wanted; they did their best but it was a waste of their time and my money. Shirt-makers on this side of the Atlantic just don't get it. I've paid my collar dues and from henceforth will opt for new ones from the U.K.

Thank heaven for England!

Cheers,
Bruce

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Yes! Please do share your technique, thanks, but...
I've reached a point of agreement with the gentleman above who says it's probably best to toss a soiled collar. For years I bought vintage collars on eBay and accumulated several hundred of them. Some never survived washing or bleaching in the first place, but more to the point the various methods I tried and equipment used to starch and iron them rarely met with success (this from boiling my own batches of powdered starch to buying a small steam press).

What was the end result such that you deemed it unsuccessful? Were they too soft, too dull, misshapen, etc.?

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
Yesteryear,
How tall is the extra high double "casual"? I am really intrigued by it. I like my collars TALL, but it looks a bit tall. However, the double round also looks really tall on their site, and have found it almost a little TOO short, compared to the collar stands of my jackets. Any chance of getting a shot of you wearing the extra high double "casual"?

BruSwain

New in Town
What was the end result such that you deemed it unsuccessful? Were they too soft, too dull, misshapen, etc.?

Ironing them to get a smooth result is a task devised by imps from Hell to torture us Edwardian-types.

Finding the right moment when the collar is damp enough from starching--not too wet, not too dry--is almost impossible. The edges are the most difficult to smooth out with the iron because they crimp or pucker when wet from the starch. Then there's scorching; the iron has to be on a fairly high setting to do its job, and scorching can occur even if you lay a thin towel or cloth atop the collar to iron it.

Perhaps I'm getting more lazy the older I get, but I just don't want to have to fuss with all this. I wouldn't at all mind the time involved if the results were good, but my experience has been to the contrary.

Bruce

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Yesteryear,
How tall is the extra high double "casual"? I am really intrigued by it. I like my collars TALL, but it looks a bit tall. However, the double round also looks really tall on their site, and have found it almost a little TOO short, compared to the collar stands of my jackets. Any chance of getting a shot of you wearing the extra high double "casual"?
It's about 2.5" tall, the same height as my Imperial collar. My tunic shirt is in the wash right now but next time I wear it I'll snap a picture for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21