Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dare to Dream: Your "Ultimate" Leather Jacket

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Out of modern cars, Mazda's still look good though just a bread and butter car. Nothing compared to the classics of course but I notice them all the time on the road and barely notice most other modern makes.
Before MG got swallowed up into what was all but the nationalised behemoth called British Leyland, it sold small, affordable, fun sports cars worldwide. At the end of the MGB production, round about 1980ish, it was decided by the powers that be at British Leyland, that the two seater sports car market had had it's day. The MK 1 VW Golf hot hatch was making it's mark, how much cheaper would it be for B/L to tweak one of their small saloon cars, re-badge it with an MG octagon and sell it in competition with the VW Golf? In the meantime, Mazda recruited some of the designers and engineers that were part of the success of MG's sports cars, the rest is history.
And just to get back on topic, have you ever seen the type of leather jacket that the drivers wore at races like Le Mans 24 Heures? Couple that with a prototype MG, and you have a dream team to savour.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
L5Y0lB6.jpg

Each to their own. Once, in a moment of boredom, I counted 128 things that today's cars have that mine doesn't. When I showed the list to the garage proprietor who takes car of my car, he said: "Well there's 128 things that can't go wrong with it."
View attachment 51068

Exactly! And brilliant.

Got stuck at the gas station in Canada because the gas tank electronic computer sensor latch on a BMW X6 didn't want to unlock due to being incompatible with the gas pump nozzle... computer... sensor... device. We were stuck there at -10000 degrees for half an hour while waiting for the road help to arrive.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
All cars nowadays have a sensor in the neck of the fuel tank that automatically stops you pumping anymore fuel into the car once the tank is full. For my car the sensor is your shoes. When the fuel splashes out over your feet, the tank's full.

My brother. used to have a VW thing. The fuel gauge was a stick we put down into the tank to see how much gas was left by the wet spot..

My wife drove an MGB when I met her. I had this Fiat
image.jpg

Needless to say, there were times when neither of us had a working vehicle :)

BTW- Worf now has the jacket that went with it.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Dream leather jackets and motorized transportation - what a combo.

As for my dream jacket, I received mine on Tuesday. An Aero Long Half-belt in Cordovan CXL Steerhide which I introduced on a seperate thread. I try not to dream too big and am more than content with such a modest jacket considering what one could spend if money were no obstacle.

My dream car is something that is a bit uncommon compared to other choices in this thread but I've had a passion for a Citroen DS Pallas ever since I was a teen. This particular vehicle was designed way back in the mid-50's but still looks contemporary even today.

View attachment 50102

My new LHB in cordovan and this Citroen DS would make a great match!

Saw this in Sicily last year.
More long sleeve shirt with cuffs turned back and a Gina Lollobrigida lookalike in a chiffon headscarf next to me.
e5da52fa-9b73-4149-8d56-4af8a6c03f95_zpsblkcswai.jpg

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Wow! I actually saw one of these locally about 8 years ago. I live in a somewhat rural area and one of the local attractions is one of the last manually operated ferries (Hatton Ferry) in the United States. I happened to be there when a Red Citroen convertible was being driven onto the ferry. What a sight it was. The timeless styling still works today over 60 years since the Citroen DS was introduced.

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Honestly, my dream jacket is probably a pipe dream. A custom Vanson Model B with the following adjustments:

- Made with dark navy FQHH
- Shoulders taken in slightly, longer lengths
- Nickel hardware

Carrie/Wade, please make this happen! I have too many black leather jackets already and want a navy FQHH one but prefer the Vanson cut over the Aero cut.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Honestly, my dream jacket is probably a pipe dream. A custom Vanson Model B with the following adjustments:

- Made with dark navy FQHH
- Shoulders taken in slightly, longer lengths
- Nickel hardware

Carrie/Wade, please make this happen! I have too many black leather jackets already and want a navy FQHH one but prefer the Vanson cut over the Aero cut.
I'm rather fond of the A-1 Aeromarine, the button-up model with the leather shawl collar. To have one like that in navy blue --!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
As for the original topic, I still keep wavering. I seem to like Cafe Racers, and Perfecto's yet am drawn quite a bit toward the 30's HB style. Given a choice however, I tend to actually wear the motorcycle inspired jackets more often. I love the appearance of a good cordovan, reddish brown however I tend to wear black jackets mostly. Sometimes the hardest thing in life to figure out is myself, especially when it comes to personal taste. :rolleyes:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The ultimate dream leather jacket, a perfect, buttery A1, which I'd coveted for a decade, arrived in the spring of last year from the custom maker TWO blasted sizes too small and unwearable. After refusing to take it back, I ended up selling it on eBay for a 1/4 of its value. A damned heartbreak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk