Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Date the Cavanagh

Chamorro

A-List Customer
Any idea from what era this hat may have come?

5a_1.JPG

89_1.JPG

8e_1.JPG

No, this ain't a contest ... I'm just looking for answers ...

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cavanagh

Did you look under the sweatband for the date tag or a reorder tag. Sometimes the date is on the inside of the sweatband leather.

My guess it that this hat is early 1950's.

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
That's a nice looking Cavanagh, but I don't think I'd date it. As far as the mannequin goes, you could do worse, but not by much. I Better get another cup of coffee before I post anything else.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
My guess would be late 40's most likely. Mint condition 1930's hats can be hard to find, however you often see the same styles carried through the 40's and early 50's.:cool2:

homburg

New in Town
I purchased several Cavanagh Homburg hat's just like that one in early 1990's from Worth & Worth Hatter in NY. It could be that the style is timeless but even the inside lining matches the ones I have.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
This hat could be from the 40s on until today. The way the liner is sewn in makes me think it is modern. Also, the brim doesn't seem to be bound ( or I need my eyes checked) which would lead me to believe later rather than earlier. Without being able to touch it, it makes it tough. At any age it's a classic though.

Art

homburg

New in Town
Art,

Most of the Vintage Homburgs I've seen and also the higher quality modern ones that I own use a much a wider piece of silk to bound the brim in comparison to the Cavanagh which as can be seen in the picture is not very wide. When I was in London with my Cavanagh some years ago, I stopped in at Herbert Johnson and the fellow running the shop commented that they could never sell a hat like it because of the thinnly bound ribbon and the quality of the felt. At the time they were selling very fine quality Homburgs which had the brim bound in wider silk ribbon and much taller open crowns that were custom bashed.

- Homburg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Homburg,
I'm jealous!!! I was in London 15 yrs ago but wasn't into hats at the time so never visited the shops I now would love to see. You are right of course, the brim binding would normally be 9 ligne
ribbon sewn in an overfold fashion. I have seen ( and posses actually) Homburgs that have no binding at all, but i believe they were meant for the "Junior" or Sporty among us. Welcome to the Lounge!!
Art

homburg

New in Town
Art,

If its any consolation, while I did buy two very nice Herbert Johnson Homburgs on my trip, I didn't like Fedoras back then and wasn't interested in the Raider's Fedora. In fact he showed me one at the time. He also showed me some of the hat's they made for Batman. I am not sure if the fellow I talked to was the famous Swales.

Regards,
Homburg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk