Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating for Fedora Loungers?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Come now young lady I would never think like that(not without a bottle of whiskey in me anyway)haha,as far as the "Designated Driver"(better?)it's not really a line cause you're not consuming booze,they may want you to pay for the 1st one though

When I DID drink alcohol in the past I never paid for a single drink- they were bought for me, sometimes even from the bartender. Then when I stopped, it became expensive to drink water for some reason!

wireless man

New in Town
my current girl i met via the interwebs. this one has lasted me the longest. usually they last 3 years or so. guess maybe this ones the keeper.

i am bluntly honest though when i meet a young lady. i always let them know that i have a few "collections" and my collections are quite important to me. first they meet the collections, if there's no "get that junk out of here", then they meet the family.

i don't expect her to partake in my love for old stuff, just accept it. there's always the other option..
nascar, football, and budweiser

old stuff usually wins when offered the alternates.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
We met a few years ago, in a play, became friends. Then after another play closed in 2014, began seeing each other. She doesn't dig the whole vintage thing, but I can't imagine life without her.

18010076_10154469695182555_6081450652155248802_n.jpg

^^^^^
What a cutie!

What we wear and with what we furnish our homes, etc., are almost the definition of "superficial." Which is not to say "unimportant." But it's certainly not the most important consideration, leastwise if one wishes something other than a superficial existence.

Last edited:
We met a few years ago, in a play, became friends. Then after another play closed in 2014, began seeing each other. She doesn't dig the whole vintage thing, but I can't imagine life without her.

View attachment 72924

You guys look great.

I wonder if there is a thread topic in here - "Does Your Family Share Your Vintage / Fedora Interests?"

My girlfriend and I are both big fans of the Golden Era, vintage things, old houses, etc. and, back when we met in the '90s, it was a thing we immediately bonded over. Her Dad is like us and it has been a great way for me to get closer to him. My Mom, however, born in '32 has no real interest in any of it.

My girlfriend introduced me to Fedora Lounge, but still only lurks despite my hortatory urgings for her to join and contribute - she'd be a great addition to our community.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm not ready to date yet (my marriage blew up in January; hopefully divorce will be final next month), but when I am ready, I really hope I can find a guy who shares my love for the Golden Era. There's nothing like being able to bond over shared interests!

My wife is not so much into vintage, as into classic. Does it for me.

I think I get it, but how do you / she define the difference? You like most things from the period, whereas, she is more select and likes only those things that have come define the best of a particular class of items, cars, clothes, architecture, movies, books, etc.?

I'm not ready to date yet (my marriage blew up in January; hopefully divorce will be final next month), but when I am ready, I really hope I can find a guy who shares my love for the Golden Era. There's nothing like being able to bond over shared interests!

It's funny. My parents were married for just over thirty years when my dad past away, and they were close, happy and each other's best friend. That said, they hardly had a shared interest. My mom, actively, and my dad, passively, supported each other's interests, but they didn't share those interest themselves. That said, they were very happy being together (which, in my father's case, meant he wasn't grumbling or complaining...too much).

Having grown up in that environment, I know it can work, but all of my relationships and my now twenty year long one with my girlfriend have been based in part on shared interests and passions. Reading, classic movies, vintage in general are some of the things I've shared with pretty much every girlfriend to one degree or another. For me, it just made it easier and more fun. I dated for short periods women where we didn't share each others interest and it just seemed harder. To be sure, even with my current girlfriend, we each have some interest not shared and we each have expanded our list of things we enjoy as we learned about them from each other. But overall, our interests line up pretty closely.

Either way can work - as I saw with my parents - but I know, for me, what I like.

Edward

Bartender
Herself and I both have a shared interest is mid twentieth century social history, music, dance and aesthetics; we're also both very much on the same page that we're interested in preserving the bits we like from that era, rather than wanting to live in it. (We'd both visit in a heartbeat if given the chance, but live there, forever, if we couldn't come back? Not for us.) I dress it more than she does at present, though that may well change as we both are on a weight loss regime, and working towards being back down to a size where we can buy and enjoy the styles we like more easily. I'm far more of a shoe fiend. Pending a clearout, I have seventy plus pairs of shoes. She has maybe four. I think I can get it down to forty. At an absolute minimum.....

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've had some trou for ages which are much, much too small for me. Really nice 40's high waisted fishtail things, with one pair handmade by a German tailor right here in town, sitting cross legged in the big bay window of his second floor shop. They're too small to fetch much of a price and I love them for what they are. There are also pairs of WWII sailor pants. We discovered over the weekend that she can wear much of it. Those styles do remarkable things with a woman's shape (not lost on J. Peterman, who offers several styles for woman based on men's mid-century trousers), so I think she'll wear them if we can get past the "itch" factor.
She also swiped my vintage sunglasses some time ago and I'll never get them back.
She very much admires styles from our era, and frequently says "I wish I could get away with wearing that stuff all the time." But she still views it as "costume" rather than every day wear. And is, at heart, a "give me my sweats and a good movie" kind of gal.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mrs Tiki is not into golden era styles. She tolerates it in me. Which is fine. The other night we were at a jazz club and she caught me looking at a gal who had the look as if she'd just stepped out of the Copacabana Club, circa 1941. That gal knew how to swing dance too. Jiminy! Mrs Tiki needled me about it for days. (No, I didn't say a word to the time traveler; nor did I dance with her.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points