Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating: Jewelry Box from Shanghai

fgradowski

One of the Regulars
Hi all! Today I picked up a jewelry box from the local antique mall. I was trying to figure out a date on it and Ebay and Etsy didn't yield much help. It seems that no one there knows either! I saw similar boxes marked as pre-WWII to 1980's. However, I did not find this exact box while searching.
The box is black with engraved jade flowers on top, decorative brass on the corners and the clasp. There is also an interesting brass lock and key. The inside is a red satin-type material. It is marked "Shanghai China" on the bottom.
Jewelry box.jpg
Thanks in advance!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi all! Today I picked up a jewelry box from the local antique mall. I was trying to figure out a date on it and Ebay and Etsy didn't yield much help. It seems that no one there knows either! I saw similar boxes marked as pre-WWII to 1980's. However, I did not find this exact box while searching.
The box is black with engraved jade flowers on top, decorative brass on the corners and the clasp. There is also an interesting brass lock and key. The inside is a red satin-type material. It is marked "Shanghai China" on the bottom.
View attachment 20834
Thanks in advance!

Given its markings, perhaps looking on a site that has vintage Chinese exported goods displayed might give you a better idea? I know that Chinese collectibles are very popular, so I would imagine there are sites that are directed towards collecting items made in China.

Either way, it is a gorgeous box in very good shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto