Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Stratoliner

Mark G

A-List Customer
About ten years ago I found this Stratoliner in a antique shop in Tucson. It was in perfect shape and only $20, so I snapped it up. I had been wanting this hat since I saw Robert Ryan wearing one in "Bad Day at Black Rock" Yeah, I know He was the bad guy, but he had the cooler hat. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the age of the hat. I also found this ad in a Life magazine in the same store. The Stratoliner sold for $7.50... 12.50 for the deluxe. P. S. all the sweat marks and sweat band damage are from me wearing the thing for ten years.

759865063405_0_ALB.jpg

959865063405_0_ALB.jpg

469865063405_0_ALB.jpg

669865063405_0_ALB.jpg

astaire

One of the Regulars
Welcome aboard, sir

I would guess the answer to your question lies on the liner. The Stetson logo seems older than mine, which i think is from the late 50's or early 60's, perhaps. I think the early ones from the 30's don't have any liners at all.

Here is the liner on my Stratoliner:

f5_12.jpg

If I were to guess, your hat is from the 40's. But there are experts here who can pinpoint the exact date.

BTW, a Stratoliner for $20 eh? not bad at all!

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks great. I have become a big fan of the Stratoliner. I notice that yours has a reeded sweat, Mine has the sweat sewn directly to the body. The one that I have does not have a liner either.For twenty dollars WOW .

Mark G

A-List Customer
Thanks guys,

I have to admit when I saw the twenty dollar price tag I was pretty bowled over... and it fit. The store brand as stamped in the sweatband is marked, B&F Men's Shop 7900 So. Halsted St. Chicago. Thanks again for the welcome.

The fact that it's a Royal Stetson i believe puts it into the 1940s and onwards. That looks like the 40s liner logo. Does the liner have a plastic covering in the top?

Nice hat. Is the colour in the photos accurate. If so, that's a cool colour. Please describe the colour (never know if one's monitor is correctly rendering colours).

cheers,
bk

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Beautiful in any color!

Such a great looking hat! I'm thinking of something in the Stratoliner/Open Road category for my next hat, so thanks very much for the visual aid!

And yes, it's weird how the color varies from monitor to monitor -- at home, it's grayish, and at work the Strat looks purplish.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Ahhh, well from what i've read here, the plastic liner (clear, i presume) would date the hat to post-WWII. So, late 40s, early 50s for ye'r hat. I had - and sold - one that looks almost identical (though it was green). It was only $20 too!!! Land 'o cheap Stratoliners ...

bk

O yeah the sage green one!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That's a great Stratoliner, Mark! That's the sort of hat I'm constantly looking for: one that I will wear for ten years and still love.

As an aside, I also like the hat you have on in your avatar. I've seen one like it somewhere before...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto