Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by size tag

March 23, 1954.

Not really, I have no idea. Sometime in the fifties, for sure. It would help to post a better pic of the liner tip logo and the debossments on the sweatband. It seems to possibly be from the NYC Store located at 475 Fifth Avenue. I am not certain when that store closed.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Late 30s/Early 40s
bd3b367c77bddb440e826a77d296d11a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Spencer did great work on this thread early on - nice to see Justin's new additions. In my collection, the scalloped size sticker is found on the earliest hats - first two decades of the 20th century, perhaps used earlier as well? The smaller round size sticker was used for quite some time - c.1920 and well into the 1930s, with the various gold keyhole tags appearing in the later 1930s. Carouselvic has noted the variations on the shape of these paper tags - straight shank as shown above by Justin and the more familiar T-shaped tag that continued through the 1940s and into the 1950s.

star10.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Assistance with dating this Royal Deluxe OR? The previous owner put in a pinch front which looks nice. The size tag is black and gold, looks like Sans Serif type (?). There are no other markings on the exterior of the sweat band and no other tags under the liner. The cellophane on the liner is gone but small bits remain around the liner stitching. The liner is held in place by 4 small pieces of tape. I'm not sure if they are original but based on their "yellowness" they have been in place for many, many years.
Hats4.jpg Hats5.jpg Hats6.jpg Hats7.jpg Hats8.jpg Hats9.jpg

Under the sweatband is a single set of "code" numbers that might be of some help. From my elementary research here in the Lounge, maybe it is late 50's to mid-60's??? Thanks for the help.

Assistance with dating this Royal Deluxe OR? The previous owner put in a pinch front which looks nice. The size tag is black and gold, looks like Sans Serif type (?). There are no other markings on the exterior of the sweat band and no other tags under the liner. The cellophane on the liner is gone but small bits remain around the liner stitching. The liner is held in place by 4 small pieces of tape. I'm not sure if they are original but based on their "yellowness" they have been in place for many, many years.
View attachment 144134 View attachment 144135 View attachment 144136 View attachment 144137 View attachment 144138 View attachment 144139

Under the sweatband is a single set of "code" numbers that might be of some help. From my elementary research here in the Lounge, maybe it is late 50's to mid-60's??? Thanks for the help.

I think you're pretty well on the mark.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112