Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DB suits and pocket watches

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
Sorry to be picky, but the black suit is not a three piece. It's a stroller, since the trousers are black and grey striped if you look closely. Very common for bankers and businessmen in the Golden Era.

Sorry Edwards; didn't notice the stripes because the trousers were so dark.

I've heard of the "No brown in town" rule; from what I read, it was because the soot and ash from chimneys and fireplaces and the dust from the street would be more noticable on a brown (or light-coloured) suit, vs. a black suit.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The change between J&W to House is incredible. Shows what an amazing actor Laurie is. To me, though, he'll always be that looney, jazz-age chap, Bertie Wooster. A sharp dresser...even though Jeeves might think otherwise.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Charlie Huang said:
No, it's just that you ought not to wear such straps with a dark buisness suit; only with tweed, etc as it would look odd.

Ah yes. I see what you mean. You were talking about what you should wear it with rather than where you should wear it.

My mistake... :eusa_doh:

I just won this fellow on Ebay which I look forward to trying out. With tweedy things obviously.

!BpQ7kwQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKjsEub(lm4woBLqmwS!VQw~~_35.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170464009627&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Regards
Anton

Shangas said:
The change between J&W to House is incredible. Shows what an amazing actor Laurie is. To me, though, he'll always be that looney, jazz-age chap, Bertie Wooster. A sharp dresser...even though Jeeves might think otherwise.

He's funny in the live action 101 Dalmations.

BurlyNate

New in Town
Dinerman said:
Run the chain from your lapel buttonhole to your breast pocket or in the vest, depending on the double breasted suit, or in the watch pocket in the pants.

Thank you, that answered my question perfectly (and looked very nice)

some of my SB suits have a small pocket inside of the right waist pocket (similar to the pocket inside of my pant pocket) would it be appropriate to put the watch in there and attach the chain to one of the buttons if I don't have a vest?

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
BurlyNate said:

some of my SB suits have a small pocket inside of the right waist pocket (similar to the pocket inside of my pant pocket) would it be appropriate to put the watch in there and attach the chain to one of the buttons if I don't have a vest?

Hmm, I don't think it is a good idea. For one, you don't put pocket watches on the lower pockets in case they break given that the jacket fronts could swing about when unbuttoned. Storing it in a higher pocket (i.e. the outer breast) makes it less likely to accidently break as there is less movement there. The watch should be placed as close and snug to the body as you don't want it to move about.

Another place to put it is in the waistband pocket of the trousers with the chain attached to one of the pockets or loop. But there is also danger of accidental damage there if one is not careful.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I get the picture now.

That doesn't sound very safe. Antique and vintage pocket watches were not manufactured with shock-abosrbing technology; a good enough whack against a doorframe or a solid wall would be enough to send it back to the watchmaker's.

If you're wearing the pocket watch with a single-breasted two-piece suit, I suggest putting the watch into an inner coat pocket and hooking the Albert chain to a nearby buttonhole or wearing it in the breast-pocket. In wintertime, I put on my big, black winter coat and I put my pocket watch into a right inner pocket of my coat and trail the chain across my torso and hook it onto a buttonhole on the left side (near enough so that it's level with the top of the pocket on the other side of the coat). It's an Albert chain, so I put the chain through the buttonhole from the front so that the T-bar isn't seen.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
BurlyNate said:
That pocket is made for cigarette lighters as far as I know.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
2 WORDS; MARCUS BRODY.
But seriously; he always wears a pocket watch with a DB suit, he just makes sure to use a T fob on the end of his single chain (not an Albert with a fob, that'd be over the top and busy on the lapel of a suit coat, and even more so, and out of place on a top coat - don't remember who mentioned that....Just sayin') I do the Marcus Brody quite frequently with my English riding clothes, or with my tropical weight gear when I'm not wearing a waist-coat. It is a very elegant, and VERY City/Town appropriate method of wearing one's pocket watch while not wearing a vest, or while wearing a DB jacket when you want to show off said pocket watch, and enjoyably, it will continually reference the Indiana Jones films to anyone in the know. :)

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Oh, I get the picture now.

That doesn't sound very safe. Antique and vintage pocket watches were not manufactured with shock-abosrbing technology; a good enough whack against a doorframe or a solid wall would be enough to send it back to the watchmaker's.

If you're wearing the pocket watch with a single-breasted two-piece suit, I suggest putting the watch into an inner coat pocket and hooking the Albert chain to a nearby buttonhole or wearing it in the breast-pocket. In wintertime, I put on my big, black winter coat and I put my pocket watch into a right inner pocket of my coat and trail the chain across my torso and hook it onto a buttonhole on the left side (near enough so that it's level with the top of the pocket on the other side of the coat). It's an Albert chain, so I put the chain through the buttonhole from the front so that the T-bar isn't seen.
You place the pocket watch behind your pocket kerchief or scarf in the breast pocket, and it is hence thoroughly padded by cotton, or linen, or silk by way of your scarf, and ditto that for the material of your suit, plus the interlining, and still thoroughly visible and easily accessible without looking tangled or busy. Marcus Brody.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer

That is the purpose of that particular pocket; and yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points