Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Deadwood" hats

A power outage had the dewy-eyed bride and me spending three nights with some friends whose utility services were spared by the windstorm. While there we all watched episodes of the HBO series "Deadwood" on DVD. I, of course, paid attention to the hats. What I'm wondering is, just how period-authentic are those lids?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am addicted to that show

tonyb said:
A power outage had the dewy-eyed bride and me spending three nights with some friends whose utility services were spared by the wind storm. While there we all watched episodes of the HBO series "Deadwood" on DVD. I, of course, paid attention to the hats. What I'm wondering is, just how period-authentic are those lids?

It'll really suck you in, one of the finest uses of the TV medium-EVER, period, paragraph.

For a while HBO was selling cheapo wool repros of the hats worn by Bulloch and another character too. They were made f/ HBO by bollman, if I recall correctly.

Here is the real Seth Bulloch in an undated photo

sethmd.gif

and here is one of both Bullock & Starr in the 80's

hlp_sethsol.gif

... so based on these, I would have to say they got it right, for the most part, eh?

nulty

One of the Regulars
Gerald Mcraney

I'm most curious about the style/period of the hat he wears as Hearst..it seems very transitional.....can't post a pic ..sorry...

I loved Deadwood but it lost me somewhat after season 1 when they killed off Bill Hickok...so much potential was lost......and they tried to cacth up to that but never could...

maybe David Carradine couldn't commit for more than a season....

He and the character playing Calamity Jane were perfect casting...but what the F...I effen digress.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
nulty said:
I'm most curious about the style/period of the hat he wears as Hearst..it seems very transitional.....can't post a pic ..sorry...

I loved Deadwood but it lost me somewhat after season 1 when they killed off Bill Hickok...so much potential was lost......and they tried to cacth up to that but never could...

maybe David Carradine couldn't commit for more than a season....

He and the character playing Calamity Jane were perfect casting...but what the F...I effen digress.
Unfortunately, but accurately, the series kept to the historical timeline in terms of Wild Bill who, in actuality, was killed off shortly after arriving in Deadwood.

nulty

One of the Regulars
Mr. Lucky said:
Unfortunately, but accurately, the series kept to the historical timeline in terms of Wild Bill who, in actuality, was killed off shortly after arriving in Deadwood.

Thanks..I hadn't thought of it that way....makes total sense....

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I was only able to see a few episodes of Deadwood but the clothing and hats were pretty spot on Tony. I got a chance to talk to one of the writers of the show and found it pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I didn't like the show much but appreciated the work that went into it.

vintage68

Practically Family
When in doubt, go straight to the source!

When in doubt, get it from the horses mouth. I believe the hats were made by Smithbilt hats in Alberta, Canada. You can even buy your own replica by going to: thelastbestwest.com and clicking on "movie hats" one and two.

If not the actual makers, they have copies of all the hats worn by Seth, Wild Bill, et al.

Regards! Vintage

Benny Holiday

Great show, but . . .

:eek:fftopic: I love the interactions, intrigue and maneuvering between characters in this show, and I know there would have been some rough types swearing back in those times, but did people really cuss that much in the 1870's?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I liked the show a lot, but actually was quite disappointed in the profanity. It was only one word, used over and over.

Western characters were famed for being able to cuss a blue streak, and that didn't mean one word. It meant painting images with profanity. I was continually disappointed that the writers didn't ever endow one single character with the ability to cuss with proficiency, variety, and creativity. I can do much better than most of the characters there. I could do better at age 14 in Boy Scouts!

I always expected someone like Calamity Jane to spend about 30 to 60 seconds summing up another character's irregular ancestry, unsavory personal reproductive habits, limited prospects for salvation and personal hygiene in one satisfying monologue. It never happened that I know of....and it definitely should. If you're going to use F*** every other sentence, you ought to do it right and capture the rest of the flavor.

And to me, IF they were going to use profanity, it really hurt the show's credibility NOT to re-create this aspect of language.

44forrest

New in Town
I also loved the show but found the F word boring. The word served no purpose in charicter creation or plot development. I see it as a lack of trust by the writers/producers in the actors to convey charicter. In spite of the language, I found the series a tremendous metaphor for American capitalism. It's rigged in favor of the Big Dogs. Just ask poor Elsworth. Oh that's right, you can't. The Big Dogs had him shot.

Rick Blaine

Did anyone ever establish who made Olyphant's, aka Seth Bullocks, hat?

According to Barons they made the hats (the show shot in S. Cali) but Barons has been known to have some, uh, credibility issues in the past as it pertains to hats they claim to have made. His entire wardrobe was auctioned and the hat was trashed.

If the series had shot in southern Alberta (as so very many Westerns are) I would've guessed Smithbilt as well, they shot Broken Trail, Bury my heart, Open Range and Hell on wheels up there, shooting mostly on the Blood & Stoney Reservations right outside Calgary.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The swearing wasn't period accurate - according to the producer, they used modern words because they had more impact. I enjoyed the swearing more than the hats. I like 20th century headgear. Nevertheless, it's the best show I've ever seen on TV.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
The swearing wasn't period accurate - according to the producer, they used modern words because they had more impact.

Could have been worse. I once made the mistake to watch a Sci-Fi Channel offering that was set in the old west. They stole use of the word "ruttin'" from Firefly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112