Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Deadwood" hats

SoulmanRKC

Familiar Face
This was the response from Brian, VP at Smithbilt, " Idid not make the hats for Deadwood but that being said, a lot of those
hats may have been ours. I do so many movies and series and the hats get
recycled and reused in other series"

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The swearing wasn't period accurate - according to the producer, they used modern words because they had more impact. I enjoyed the swearing more than the hats. I like 20th century headgear. Nevertheless, it's the best show I've ever seen on TV.

Indeed. Milch has been quoted as saying that the most profane & transgressive of curses in 1876 were religiously based & now are heard on cable TV with such regularity, they would not be seen as being as offensive in the 21st Century, so he choose a few that would be found similarly offensive & objectionable to today's sensibilities.

There is nothing new under the sun, though.
One of Deadwood's favorite words to describe the female gender, was spelled no fewer than three ways, by the father of English literature
Geoffrey Chaucer, in The Canterbury Tales , c. 1375. [huh]

Last edited:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
If you liked Deadwood,,,,, check out Black Sails (Pirates) on STARZ..

I saw a preview of the first episode which starts this Saturday and it reminded sooooo much of Deadwood.....

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I'm currently discovering this western-style TV show Deadwood on Netflix. Wow! so many hats in so many shapes ! I thought I'd many see fedoras but you got them all in all shapes! It has a pretty decent grade on IMDB.
Anyways, just wanted to share.
Have a nice weekend

Hello,

I'm currently discovering this western-style TV show Deadwood on Netflix. Wow! so many hats in so many shapes ! I thought I'd many see fedoras but you got them all in all shapes! It has a pretty decent grade on IMDB.
Anyways, just wanted to share.
Have a nice weekend
I loved this show and for more than the hats. The writing is stellar. Very very sad when it was abruptly cancelled. My wife and I argued about Timothy Oliphant.....I said he was handsome and sexy and she advised that he was likely gay. Perhaps that is why she is with me as I am a long waaaaay away from his handsomeness. My fave hat was worn by his business partner (name escapes me) it was the simple Derby with a front dent that looked like it was formed by punching the hat.

My fave hat was worn by his business partner (name escapes me) it was the simple Derby with a front dent that looked like it was formed by punching the hat.

I liked that hat as well (worn by the character Sol Star). I really liked the George Hearst hat!

33372974093_e31935e77d_z.jpg

geraldmcraney.jpg

My two cents; Hell on Wheels was a much better hat show but not great theatre. The big Swede or was he Norwegian character was repetitive and boring. Kept hoping he would be killed off but alas he kept returning. The acting, writing and story line was much superior in Deadwood but the hats (other than Sol's) not so great.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
Loved Deadwood, especially the way they matched the looks of the characters in the show to their historical counterparts like Calamity Jane and Wild Bill. Wife can't stand to watch because of the language. I binge watched the first two and a half seasons while she was out of town recently.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Deadwood was so well done (In spite of the unnecessarily large volume of foul language) that we watched it straight through. We really enjoyed how well the characters were developed. Great acting and directing. We found the interplay between Swearingen and Bullock fascinating. The hats were also pretty good. HoW was not as well directed and the Swede was so annoying that we gave up on the whole thing in spite of the hats, photography and outfits.

Fed

Deadwood was so well done (In spite of the unnecessarily large volume of foul language) that we watched it straight through. We really enjoyed how well the characters were developed. Great acting and directing. We found the interplay between Swearingen and Bullock fascinating. The hats were also pretty good. HoW was not as well directed and the Swede was so annoying that we gave up on the whole thing in spite of the hats, photography and outfits.

Fed
There were times when my wife and I actually sympathized with Sweringen! Hard to do with such a villain.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Deadwood for me is (or was) the high point of television. Amazing and rich take on the history of government and business - amazing swearing, magnificent acting, gobsmacking dialogue. It hardly noticed the hats, I was too busy being astonished. Hell on Wheels didn't hold my attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21