Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Dan Ireland has passed away at the age of 57. Ireland was a founder of the Seattle Film Festival and directed several himself. His first effort "The Whole Wide World"is of special interest to Golden Age aficionados. Set in West Texas in the 30s, it is a biographical film about the great Texas pulp writer, Robert E. Howard. It starred a young Vincent Dónofrio as Howard and Rene Zellweger in her first role as Novalyne Price, Howard's love interest.

If it was one of the guys, I would guess complications from steroids. Kevin Nash's post makes it sound like it could be something self-inflicted. INtentional or not. 45? We need a round of "Death Takes a Holiday" for the celebrity world in 2016.

He falls into that category of incredibly, unbelievably talented artists of whom I only liked a subset of what he did - but respected almost all of what he did. His music was head and shoulders above the average very successful artist.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As a working musician and songwriter (people pay me to play so I guess that makes me one of the fraternity) Prince's death hit me especially hard. He was in my mind the basterd son of Jimi Hendrix and James Brown. He could play like Jimi, dance like James and sing like Little Richard. On top of ALL that he was an amazing songwriter. Not all of his output was "accessible" but nearly all of it was interesting. His Superbowl halftime show in the pouring rain, no lipsynching there, was amazing. I'm stunned and saddened. I expect musicians older than me to go, but when someone this talented and this young goes so early... Glad I got to see him at Madison Square Garden. Morris Day opened, Sheila E joined in and Prince killed it. Throw in Maceo Parker on sax and I thought I'd gone to heaven.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21