Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

There was a poignant article about him about two weeks ago in our National Post. In an interview Cohen essentially said..."I am not doing well physically and am quite ready to go." I guess he realized his time was getting close.
I am saddened by the loss.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I didn't much care for Leonard Cohen as a performer, but he was a staggeringly brilliant songwriter. I mean "Hallelujah" and "Suzanne" alone, but there are so many others! Here's a personal favorite, movingly performed by Emmylou Harris:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Robert Vaughn!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-vaughn-dead-man-uncle-859991

To my generation, he will always be Napoleon Solo of U.N.C.L.E.!
RV to me, as Solo and in many other roles, was a role model. To this day, when I read or reread a favorite adventure story, his image (clean-cut, dashing, authoritative) is the first to come to mind.

Beyond that, he was a very intelligent fellow -- a Ph.D., no less.

Mr. Vaughn, when I get to heaven, I will look you up, along with Robert Culp. I'm sure you will have plenty of stories to tell. Tonight, time to re-watch a few U.N.C.L.E. episodes. . . .

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
And then, of course, he starred in the immortal "I was a Teenage Caveman." But he'll always be Napoleon Solo to me. That Ph.D was in Political Science. He was a politics junkie and most of his latter-day roles were as politicians, usually sleazy ones which he played exceptionally well.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
To everyone under the age of fifty in Maine, he is known solely and exclusively as the TELL THEM YOU MEAN BUSINESS! guy in the ads for The Law Offices Of Joe Bornstien.

hqdefault.jpg

These ads have been so relentless over the last twenty-five years or so that many people who see them actually think that Vaughn *is* Joe Bornstein. Many have been crushed to learn that these ads were a franchise deal, and that Vaughn was actually the spokesman for dozens of law firms all over the US.

To everyone under the age of fifty in Maine, he is known solely and exclusively as the TELL THEM YOU MEAN BUSINESS! guy in the ads for The Law Offices Of Joe Bornstien.

hqdefault.jpg

These ads have been so relentless over the last twenty-five years or so that many people who see them actually think that Vaughn *is* Joe Bornstein. Many have been crushed to learn that these ads were a franchise deal, and that Vaughn was actually the spokesman for dozens of law firms all over the US.

Just another reason to adhere to the dictum, save your money (assuming he did it for need).

Vaughn should not have been hawking for those hucksters. I'm not against advertising and promotion, but if one does it, they should know what they are promoting and feel good about it (I, for one, would happily promote peanut butter the minute the peanut butter council calls :)), but how could Vaughn know and feel good about these dozens of law firms spread over the country?

Darn fine actor though. He fit in nicely between classically handsome and character actor and, of course, there is that voice.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yes...but more recently he had a recurring role, several episodes IIRC, on Law & Order as a politically powerful business magnate; a complex character, to say the least.
I caught one of those -- he even had a scene with his spy-TV contemporary, Steven Hill. I'd always wanted to see those two together.

Vaughn played at least 3 U.S. presidents, either on stage or TV, either in the White House or before. Can anybody name them?

A bit of an update for anyone who might be interested. Mr. Cohen's manager Robert B. Kory said in a statement today that Cohen died in his sleep after falling down in the middle of the night at his home in Los Angeles. "The death was sudden, unexpected, and peaceful." He also clarified that Mr. Cohen died on November 7th, not on the 10th when his death was announced.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
R.I.P. Ms. Jones. Passed over during the "Golden Age" of Soul/RnB she persevered nonetheless. I was honored to see her 2 times, once in a very intimate setting (Club Helsinki, Hudson, NY) and she, as always, was the "real deal". I've seen them all, Aretha, James, Marvin all the Motown and Stax/Volt reviews... she could hold her own with ANY of em. Maybe be not as a song writer but certainly as a performer. She fired every bullet she had then threw the pistol! Sigh... what a crappy year for music.....

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points