Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Peacoat

Bartender
Rick Hall, founder of Fame Studio in Muscle Shoals Alabama, died day before yesterday, January 2. He worked with and produced Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Etta James and Duane Allman, among many others. His career is way too rich to even begin to highlight it here, so I will leave a link if anyone is interested. He was so many things to so many people, especially to singers and musicians. He was a musician himself, I think a bass player or maybe a guitar player. I never met him, but came close once.

RIP Rick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Hall

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actor/director/writer/raconteur Frank Buxton has died at the age of 87. From appearing on stage with Buster Keaton to directing dozens of episodes of "The Odd Couple" on television, Buxton was one of those figures who seemed to turn up everywhere in popular entertainment during the second half of the 20th Century. He was also a very important figure in the nostalgia craze of the 1960s/1970s as the co-author of "Radio's Golden Age/The Big Broadcast," the first "guidebook" ever published on the subject of radio programs of the 1930s, 40s, and 50s. While this is a very limited book compared to the depth of information available today, for those of us interested in the medium forty and fifty years ago it was the only such book available, and inspired many subsequent researchers to dig far deeper and learn much more. I'll be taking my faded, broken-binding copy off the shelf tonight in his memory.

John Young, one of NASA's most experienced astronauts, died on Friday after complications from pneumonia. He was 87 years old. Young was not only the first person to fly in space six times, he is also the only astronaut to have participated in the Gemini, Apollo, and Space Shuttle programs, flying the first Gemini mission and commanding the Apollo 16 and first Shuttle missions.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Actor/director/writer/raconteur Frank Buxton has died at the age of 87. From appearing on stage with Buster Keaton to directing dozens of episodes of "The Odd Couple" on television, Buxton was one of those figures who seemed to turn up everywhere in popular entertainment during the second half of the 20th Century. He was also a very important figure in the nostalgia craze of the 1960s/1970s as the co-author of "Radio's Golden Age/The Big Broadcast," the first "guidebook" ever published on the subject of radio programs of the 1930s, 40s, and 50s. While this is a very limited book compared to the depth of information available today, for those of us interested in the medium forty and fifty years ago it was the only such book available, and inspired many subsequent researchers to dig far deeper and learn much more. I'll be taking my faded, broken-binding copy off the shelf tonight in his memory.
Where would you rate John Dunning's Tune in Yesterday ?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I bought a copy of TIY when it first came out in the '70s, and read it and used it as a reference tool until it was ragged. It was a huge step forward in a time when the public perception of "old time radio" was that it was nothing but corny kiddie adventure shows and splattery horror stuff. Looking back at it today you can see the holes, but in the 70s and 80s, at a time when original source documents were still very hard to access, it was considered definitive. I still have what's left of my copy, and still browse thru it from time to time -- some of Dunning's rather sassy descriptions of certain programs are still worth a chuckle even today.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Another belated mention (you guys are really gonna have to up your game :rolleyes:) for 'Fast' Eddy Clarke, prehaps best known as the ex guitarist of 'Motorhead'...who died on the 10th due to complications from pneumonia, aged 67.

Legendary sports broadcaster Keith Jackson has died at the age of 89. Jackson was a ubiquitous figure in sports broadcasting, from the 50s through the 00s. He called Olympics, auto racing, boxing, in addition to baseball and football, from the World Series to the Super Bowl. But he’s best remembered for being THE voice of college football for nearly 50 years. He called the biggest and most exciting games, and gave the Rose Bowl it’s nickname of “the granddaddy of them all”. If you heard Jackson’s voice, and his signature phrase “whoa Nellie!” you knew it was a big game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112