Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deco New York

Don Pelon

New in Town
Took a short trip to NYC recently, snapped some shots. I'm always inspired by how much of the Golden Era architecture is still preserved there:

The Chrysler Building

Was this the building from Ghostbusters(?)

Late Afternoon in Brooklyn

Central Park Apartment buildings

I saw these murals in a hotel lobby in Times Square, don't know if they are historic or just for show. But, still really cool!

You pointed out one of the best things about living in NYC - the historical architecture. It is everywhere.

And after you have lived here for years, you still appreciate the high-profile buildings that everyone comes to see, but you really appreciate the ones that don't make that list: the ones that you discover by accident just walking around or reading an article in a local paper (now website) that talks about some great architecture that no one pays attention to anymore.

I'll start trying to snap some pictures going forward and posting them to this thread if it builds out.

But as a first effort, below is a link to our most recent find (my girlfriend found it and I went with her to see it; hence, "our" find). I've lived and worked in NYC for almost three decades and never knew about this place until a few months ago - and it is more spectacular in person than the pictures:

http://cherokee-nyc.com

Last edited:

Don Pelon

New in Town
You pointed out one of the best things about living in NYC - the historical architecture. It is everywhere.

And after you have lived here for years, you still appreciate the high-profile buildings that everyone comes to see, but you really appreciate the ones that don't make that list: the ones that you discover by accident just walking around or reading an article in a local paper (now website) that talks about some great architecture that no one pays attention to anymore.

I'll start trying to snap some pictures going forward and posting them to this thread if it builds out.

But as a first effort, below is a link to our most recent find (my girlfriend found it and I went with her to see it; hence, "our" find). I've lived and worked in NYC for almost three decades and never knew about this place until a few months ago - and it is more spectacular in person than the pictures:

http://cherokee-nyc.com

That really is a lovely building, would love to live in it! maybe when I come back as an Internet Millionaire... Good to be a tourist in NY, then you actually have the time to look up and gawk at all these architectural treasures instead of running around like the locals do.

That really is a lovely building, would love to live in it! maybe when I come back as an Internet Millionaire... Good to be a tourist in NY, then you actually have the time to look up and gawk at all these architectural treasures instead of running around like the locals do.

The interesting thing is that for New York, apartments in this building are not insanely expensive. [Must pause here to reference that NYC real estate is a world removed from normalcy. Having not grown up in NYC, I can still appreciate how stupid, how insane and how beyond any connection to the rest of the country (barring a few other crazy-stupid real estate markets like San Fran) NYC real estate is. Hence, my comments that follow, need to be understood in the context of this city's insanely expensive real estate market.]

Two bedroom apartments can be had for well below a million dollars and one bedroom apartments for less than $350,000 (remember the comment above about NYC real estate). The reason for this is that the building itself is not in a convenient location and the apartments themselves are small (even by NYC standards). Also, there is no doorman (another only to be understood in the context of stupid NYC real estate, but that decreases the value as well).

Hence, the building is affordable to middle class New Yorkers - Internet Millionaires wouldn't buy here. That said, there is still a premium for the building's architecture in the prices versus similar apartments in the same location but in other buildings, but it isn't a stupid-crazy premium.

Don Pelon

New in Town
I took photos of these murals inside the lobby of the historic Hotel Edison:

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/default.aspx?pg=history

Now that I looked at the website, it seems like it has some fantastic architecture and interiors. An original 1931 Golden Era hotel. Had I known, I would have explored it more- I just went in to use the men's room! Again, I don't know if the murals were restored originals or were put up later.

I stayed there in march and will be back for three nights on saturday!!

Hi, that is great. When in the hotel, please let us know what you learn about the murals. Something says they are repros to me, but I really hope I am wrong (and since I have not expertise at all, probably am). Also, have a great time - are you in for something fun? Next time I'm in Time Square, I'm going to check out this hotel which I (embarrassingly) never knew anything about despite having lived / worked in NYC for nearly 3 decades. :eusa_doh:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I'm planning a rail trip to NY sometime soon. Looking into some surprisingly affordable furnished apartment rentals in Manhattan starting at less than $1500 a month. Not bad considering most any decent hotel will cost upwards of $200 per night. Plus with a furnished apt, it should give one more of a sense of what it's like to actually live there. Anyone else ever done this?

I'm planning a rail trip to NY sometime soon. Looking into some surprisingly affordable furnished apartment rentals in Manhattan starting at less than $1500 a month. Not bad considering most any decent hotel will cost upwards of $200 per night. Plus with a furnished apt, it should give one more of a sense of what it's like to actually live there. Anyone else ever done this?

Matt, hi, that sounds like a great - almost a too good to be true - price. Even unfurnished studios, in only okay neighborhoods, rent for more a month. Hence, just make sure you've done some diligence to make sure the company is real and the apartments are what they claim to be. I wouldn't want you to be disappointed. Hopefully, it will all check out and, as you said, that will give you a sense of what living in this crazy city is like.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Matt, hi, that sounds like a great - almost a too good to be true - price. Even unfurnished studios, in only okay neighborhoods, rent for more a month. Hence, just make sure you've done some diligence to make sure the company is real and the apartments are what they claim to be. I wouldn't want you to be disappointed. Hopefully, it will all check out and, as you said, that will give you a sense of what living in this crazy city is like.

I heard about affordable furnished apts on a NYC tour video on youtube, and then found this particular company through a web search. The website looks legit, with prices ranging from $1300 to upwards of $5000 per month. On the cheaper end they look very small and cramped, but in the $1500 to $1800 range they start to look a lot better - mostly studios with sleeping alcoves, that look to be in decent parts of town. One in particular that looked very nice was in Washington Heights. which I understand was a rough place a few years ago but is far better now. The exterior photos looked typical of the upper West side to me. Believe me I will check it out thoroughly before I commit to anything.

I heard about affordable furnished apts on a NYC tour video on youtube, and then found this particular company through a web search. The website looks legit, with prices ranging from $1300 to upwards of $5000 per month. On the cheaper end they look very small and cramped, but in the $1500 to $1800 range they start to look a lot better - mostly studios with sleeping alcoves, that look to be in decent parts of town. One in particular that looked very nice was in Washington Heights. which I understand was a rough place a few years ago but is far better now. The exterior photos looked typical of the upper West side to me. Believe me I will check it out thoroughly before I commit to anything.

It sounds reasonable and it sounds as if you are all over it. Washington Heights, as you said, has turned around a lot in the last years. That said, it is a decent distance from Manhattan itself, which is fine, but just wanted you to know.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
It sounds reasonable and it sounds as if you are all over it. Washington Heights, as you said, has turned around a lot in the last years. That said, it is a decent distance from Manhattan itself, which is fine, but just wanted you to know.

Yeah, I had considered that since just about everything I'd want to do is in Lower Manhattan or Mid-town. Of course this was just one of many available. They have them all over the city, including the other boroughs as well. Thanks for all your advice.

On a note more related to this thread . . . The Chrysler Building has always been my favorite skyscraper. I'd give anything to be able to visit one of the offices on the top floors, which I read somewhere are occupied by a dentist's office and an architectural firm.

Yeah, I had considered that since just about everything I'd want to do is in Lower Manhattan or Mid-town. Of course this was just one of many available. They have them all over the city, including the other boroughs as well. Thanks for all your advice.

On a note more related to this thread . . . The Chrysler Building has always been my favorite skyscraper. I'd give anything to be able to visit one of the offices on the top floors, which I read somewhere are occupied by a dentist's office and an architectural firm.

It's funny you bring up that building as (1) it is one of my favorites and (2) I'm reading a book "Higher: A Historic Race to the Sky and the Making of a City" which (I'm about 100 pages in) features the architectural and financial planing of the Chrysler Building. It's a fast and easy read (not a textbook type at all) that you might want to read before your trip to get you even more excited.

I have no idea how you'd get up to a higher floor as security since 911 has been very tough everywhere in the City and especially in the landmark buildings. That said, even if you can only check out the lobby, it is worth it as it is something special from the asymmetrical flow, to the incredible deco decor and fantastic murals. Once you have seen the Chrysler building, check out 275 Madison (Madison Avenue and 40th) it is a skyscraper built a year or so after the Chrysler Building that was incredibly influence by it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112