Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dehen 1920 biker sweaters. Club zip.

Edward

Bartender
The rockabilly rebel ones look great. I couldn't navigate the german on the other site! That's a great find.

They're nice, but here's a caveat:

I bought the BRMC one, and I love it. Don't expect it to be just like the Dehen, though. They're cotton, rather than wool (which may bother some, not me). The shape is a bit 'off' from the true vintage style like the Dehen. Nothing drastic, just 2-3 inches longer, imo, and not 'tapered' in at the waistband. Also, the zip-puller is a more modern, square type. That said, the embroidery is high quality, it wears and washes really nicely, and it also has the thumbholes, which is a detail some of the more affordable repros miss out.

Motolegends.com sometimes has lighter sweaters in this general style, but again, modern zip, and no thumbholes. Nice enough if you get them for half price (around GBP30), but I wouldn't pay full whack. Typically wool-merino mix.

I think dehen has licensed some products to Japan. Dehen is having sale at present.
There is a seller on eBay that carries these sweaters.
http://m.ebay.com/sch/ketch347/m.html?_pgn=1&isRefine=true

That ebay seller was clearing out the last of the Jersey Excellence stock. A French repro-manufacturer of these sweaters. I bought one - wish I could have had more. Cotton, rather than wool if that would bother you, but beautiful - all other details perfect imo. I'd have bought two or three more could I but have the chance. Excellent value, at about half the price of the Dehen.

It's the Faberge Egg habit that's killing me.:D

It's deep-frying them does the real damage. ;)

Ain't that the truth Adeec. Every now and then I find a cool old school shirt or something. Other than the Dehen sweaters, I don't really have any branded stuff anymore. The quality is dreadful, and it's usually pretty tacky. I'm waiting for the day that Harley's are made in China or India. Nothing would suprise me anymore with those guys. I Wish they would put out a limited annual release of jackets by Langlitz,Schott,or vanson. Something with a bit of substance that was made in USA. They could do some seriously cool jackets.

It would be interesting to know whether they'd never thought of it, or if they had but didn't think there was a market for it. I know Harleys themselves aren't exactly sublte but there must be a lot of people who don't want to do the all-over branding thing. On the other hand, the branded stuff clearly sells well.... Given how much Harley make of the 'American Heritage brand' thing in their marketing, it would surpised me if there wasn't a reasonable level of market for US-made stuff.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I bought the BRMC one, and I love it. Don't expect it to be just like the Dehen, though. They're cotton, rather than wool (which may bother some, not me). The shape is a bit 'off' from the true vintage style like the Dehen. Nothing drastic, just 2-3 inches longer, imo, and not 'tapered' in at the waistband. Also, the zip-puller is a more modern, square type. That said, the embroidery is high quality, it wears and washes really nicely, and it also has the thumbholes, which is a detail some of the more affordable repros miss out.

Motolegends.com sometimes has lighter sweaters in this general style, but again, modern zip, and no thumbholes. Nice enough if you get them for half price (around GBP30), but I wouldn't pay full whack. Typically wool-merino mix.

That ebay seller was clearing out the last of the Jersey Excellence stock. A French repro-manufacturer of these sweaters. I bought one - wish I could have had more. Cotton, rather than wool if that would bother you, but beautiful - all other details perfect imo. I'd have bought two or three more could I but have the chance. Excellent value, at about half the price of the Dehen.

It's deep-frying them does the real damage. ;)

It would be interesting to know whether they'd never thought of it, or if they had but didn't think there was a market for it. I know Harleys themselves aren't exactly sublte but there must be a lot of people who don't want to do the all-over branding thing. On the other hand, the branded stuff clearly sells well.... Given how much Harley make of the 'American Heritage brand' thing in their marketing, it would surpised me if there wasn't a reasonable level of market for US-made stuff.

Thanks. Cotton is great. They ran out of my size awhile ago.

Edward

Bartender
I tried emailing the seller a few weeks ago to see if they would be putting any more up ,but no repy and no new auctions since, so sadly they must all be gone. Can't imagine why / how the JE business didn't take off, but I wonder if it was an IP issue (sometimes start-ups don't realise when they do these historical repros that some of the brands are still existing TMs). I would have bought a couple more, but I hesistated until my first one arrived and I was sure of my size - by then, they were all gone. Bummer. Perfect repro for me - cracking look, and the cotton instead of wool helped keep the price down. I wish I knew where they had them made!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I tried emailing the seller a few weeks ago to see if they would be putting any more up ,but no repy and no new auctions since, so sadly they must all be gone. Can't imagine why / how the JE business didn't take off, but I wonder if it was an IP issue (sometimes start-ups don't realise when they do these historical repros that some of the brands are still existing TMs). I would have bought a couple more, but I hesistated until my first one arrived and I was sure of my size - by then, they were all gone. Bummer. Perfect repro for me - cracking look, and the cotton instead of wool helped keep the price down. I wish I knew where they had them made!

I saw them at the time too. I went for a Dehen first, and planned to add a couple to my collection straight after the Dehen arrived. By that stage, they were all gone. I have added them go my list of "missed opportunities". That list is almost as long as my " I shouldn't have bought it on ebay, it never fitted me so I sold it at a big loss" list.

Cocker

Practically Family

Edward, sorry for the grave digging, but can you tell me a bit more about your sweater? I'm looking at Rumble59 website right away, and see they give 26 inches sleeve length for an L sweater. But as per the size chart, it's with the sleeve rolled up. Can you tell me what size is yours, and what is the sleeve length with the knit not rolled up?

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
If its any help I have one of the Rumble59 sweaters, I would say they are a lot more generous than the measurements on their website suggest. That arm measurement with the sleeve rolled back is probably correct, though you can roll them further or less as you like. I originally ordered an XXL based on their size chart but had to return it for an XL, and to be honest a Large would maybe have been better. I'd say for the price they're pretty good and I'm very happy with it - Only part I'm not keen on is the zip pull as mentioned, it is a little cheap and non vintage looking.

Cocker

Practically Family
Thanks mate, that is indeed somewhat helpful. Could I ask you to take some measurements of the sleeves non rolled up, so I could compare on the size chart?

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
It was funny seeing this thread as I was only wearing it yesterday.

Sure, it measures 29" from shoulder to cuff laid flat if I unroll it. Material/weave is quite stretchy - when wearing it I could easily fully roll it over my hand completely which must be a few inches more.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, sorry for the grave digging, but can you tell me a bit more about your sweater? I'm looking at Rumble59 website right away, and see they give 26 inches sleeve length for an L sweater. But as per the size chart, it's with the sleeve rolled up. Can you tell me what size is yours, and what is the sleeve length with the knit not rolled up?

I'll have to dig it out tonight, I'll get back to you on that...

If its any help I have one of the Rumble59 sweaters, I would say they are a lot more generous than the measurements on their website suggest. That arm measurement with the sleeve rolled back is probably correct, though you can roll them further or less as you like. I originally ordered an XXL based on their size chart but had to return it for an XL, and to be honest a Large would maybe have been better. I'd say for the price they're pretty good and I'm very happy with it - Only part I'm not keen on is the zip pull as mentioned, it is a little cheap and non vintage looking.

Agreed on the zip pull. I've toyed before now with the idea of seeing if I could replace it with something else. I imagine the ultimate answer would be to find a vintage repro zip of the style Jersey execellence used to use and have a seamstress stitch it in. If that could be done without too much expense, it would definitely transform the look. Just a pity they're still quite long in the body (I think 3-4" shorter would be superb), though that said when I'm thinner I like to tuck it into my trews, so it matters less then. Still, for the money they aren't bad, seem to wash reasonably well, and with JE out of the picture there's noone else doing them until you look at spending four tiems the amount on a Dehen, so....

As to fit, definitely err on the neater side. I ordered mine with the intention of wearing it over just an undershirt (I think they look best that way), and it seems to work. Snug is good with these.

I'm still rather tempted by this one:

racing_sweater-ton_up_boys-rueckenansicht.jpg

Cocker

Practically Family
Thank you both for your advises, guys! As far as I can tell then, the total sleeve length would be 2 inches longer than the one advised on the website. Currently hesitating between those two ones:

racing_sweater_race-rock-ride-Rueckenansicht.jpg

racing_club_sweater-BRMC-rueckenansicht.jpg

I mainly love the first one because of the red collar and stripes, not the over the top design on the back.

Cocker

Practically Family
Also like the simple ones too, like this one:

racing_sweater_schwarz_rot-Vorderansicht.jpg

Dehen looks really good and easily a notch above the Rumble59 ones, but are way out of what I'd like to put in a sweater, money wise.

Cocker

Practically Family
Agreed. As far as lettering goes, the BRMC one is the only "classic". As stated previously, the other ones are a bit too much for me.

Edward

Bartender
Rumble 59 is clearly aiming at the market for contemporary rockabillies, who while they haven't exactly changed style since the early 50s, aren't as beholden to an accurate period look as we would be more inclined towards in these parts. Going with their own designs, of course, also means less bother with licensing fees (though presumably these come in with the Wanderers and BRMC models). The designs that emphasise the Rumble 59 stuff are quite modern (I can see them really appealing to the Psychobilly crowd). The ton-up artwork looks old school to me, though. The really nice thing about all the artwork is that it's embroidered rather than screen-printed. I suspect that's where a lot of the purchase price goes.

I have the BRMC option, and it is really nice. The Ton-up one I quite fancy, though I've also considered one of the plain ones to which I could then stitch some motorcycle patches or some such.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
FYI 20% off Dehen store wide,Cyber Monday. I really like the red/black lumberjack shirt, still pretty expensive, but looks fantastic.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab

They are great. I grabbed one about 18months ago. Very comfy, a nice cut. The lady there Jill is fabulous to deal with too. Really nice lady, super quick replies, and a really good experience all around. I really like the new design with the prison striped arms. Very cool. I like being able to choose my own unique design, the range of options is getting better all the time. The quality is top notch too. You can do almost anything. Great for shop/staff uniforms too if you have a small business. I'm a big fan of hometown jerseys.
0yOeJS9.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points